PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Round 4 - Pick 14

good slot receiver

3rd down RB Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis)
is someone I'm hoping for.

I really wanted Hunter Long, TE, from Boston College. But, he was gone early in 3rd round (Phins got him).

Guess wait till next year for a TE...

Hope Pats move UP in the 4th round. I think they need to shore up the OL. Then, Safety.

They may actually have to cut a very good TE this year. They absolutely knew they were going to give Keene and Asiasi at least one more year so there's no point in another TE.

Shaun Wade? Yes!

Had a lousy year, but his previous work would have placed him much higher, according to the reads.

After day two: happiest Pat is Yodne Cajuste, saddest is probably Wino.

Still out there: RB Stevenson and Herbert

What happened to Daviton Nixon? He's still out there?

Tylan Wallace, Jabril Cox, Tommy Togiai

Just out of interest what about UDFA's this year , if we end up with 85 players ex the draft does that mean the Pats could only have 5 UDFA's ? (Total of 90 players)
We may be making some cuts after the draft in order to bring in UDFAs

Dolegala went yesterday. Other candidates are
Murray
Wilkerson
Ross
Aguayo
Thurman
Toran
Berry
Davis
Martin
Cunningham
Smith
Virgin

There is a lot of room for UDFAs if we see ones we want.

We may be making some cuts after the draft in order to bring in UDFAs

Dolegala went yesterday. Other candidates are
Murray
Wilkerson
Ross
Aguayo
Thurman
Toran
Berry
Davis
Martin
Cunningham
Smith
Virgin

There is a lot of room for UDFAs if we see ones we want.

Yes. UDFAs are important. JC Jackson is a key example.

Shaun Wade? Yes!

Had a lousy year, but his previous work would have placed him much higher, according to the reads.

After day two: happiest Pat is Yodne Cajuste, saddest is probably Wino.

Still out there: RB Stevenson and Herbert

What happened to Daviton Nixon? He's still out there?
Wade is a really good football player who may not have a position fit. He was a safety who was moved to corner and was very physical but grabby and slow (possibly attributed to knee and turf toe injuries) Probably an NFL safety but as a day 3 pick a great guy to add who can ball on sts until he settles in to a role.
Id be thrilled with him at any of our remaining picks.

Looking at Pats history of 4th round picks. Lots of duds since 2000. Percentage wise is bad: 6 out of 27 picks, or 22.2% winners

Keepers were:
2015 Trey Flowers
2015 Shaq Mason
2014 James White
2010 Aaron Hernandez (talent-wise)
2006 Gos
2003 Asante Samuel
Some legit keepers there though. Let’s hope we get lucky this time. It’s been six years since a keeper based off that, so we are due.

He can't separate though. Same as Surrat, they do everything you'd want other than seperate. Every catch is contested.

Disagree. These numbers says otherwise.

1619881585457.png

Some legit keepers there though. Let’s hope we get lucky this time. It’s been six years since a keeper based off that, so we are due.

Looking @ 2000 draft, there was ONLY a single pick that even did anything for the Patriots... 6th pick Tom Brady.

Thanks @long distance for the top down analysis. Since it is a different type of year, should we look at it from the bottom up? Today and Sunday the Pats will potentially sign 5 draft picks and 10 UDFAs = 15 players. Maybe, in a normal year, 3 make the team. If that happens, who are numbers 51, 52, and 53 on our roster that will be replaced?

Of the 15 guys I am guessing 0 or 1 makes the team this year, and I am curious what you think? Who would you bump off this roster for a Day 3 late round or UDFA rookie?

I do not dislike rookies or binkies, I was disappointed to see Obi the local kid get released, but think historical, top down views might be limited due to this "unprecedented" year. Your roster numbers were right, we are light at CB, WR, but I am looking at the 90 man count differently this year.

I don't think much changes for 90 TC roster for BB. Make the best 90 roster possible and let natural selection of TC (incl injuries) do the rest.

I thought adding 5 veteran DLs in free agency (not counting Wise) - with 4 of them getting at least 2M guaranteed - eliminates the option of drafting IDL in top rounds and i was dead wrong :) I expected Bill will aggressively address DL as discussed in GM LOUNGE - as he was visibly disgusted last yr - but this now borders on overreaction :) So he will obviously have no problem cutting even multiple vets on relatively high guaranteed contract this year - there will be no prisoners taken this year..

They have one strong pick left, maybe they can package another one with the 5th and the rest will be like securing HPFA (high priority UDFA) possibly CB/WR not to get into too many bidding wars after Draft.

There is prob not much difference on most boards between CBs and WRs that went at the end of Day 2 and those that will be available after draft. Both very deep positions. Even developmental OL is still deep - just not too many of my binkies left..

No reason why 3 or more of these guys would not make the team. But the key now is filling up the 90 roster and insure fierce competition across the board. 53 roster will come in play only mid Aug. I had only 27 “locks“ going into the Draft. After 2 Days i would move Anderson to likely despite 3M guaranteed and add draftees & a few more locks from positions that were not addressed early so 30-35 “locks“ plus some very likely special teamers. Plenty of competition ahead..

Also note that there are still plenty good vet options left in FA @ WR, CB, RB in particular some LB as well.
Trade market will pick up as well esp. after June 1.

Last edited:
Long shot is probably too strong for the 4th round pick, I agree. But this is a funny year, and a historical precedent is probably not too accurate either. We picked a guy in the late 3rd who many projected as a mid to late 2nd. I don't think that is too common in a normal year. And everyone says this draft is very shallow with little top end talent after the 4th, so we will see. It is fun to have a few binkies, but open spots on the Pats' roster are quite limited this year, probably on purpose.
Our 4th rounder has always made the 53. I see now reason for Belichick not to continue. Belichick will plan that when he picks. An OL will have little problem,

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back