PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Round 4 - Pick 14

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This pick will likely make the roster. All the remaining picks are serious longshots, but we always find someone.

SOME INTERESTING PLAYERS
OT Hudson
WR Wallace
ILB Cox (undersized)
ILB Barnes
IOL Dalman (OC)
IOL Brown
IOL Smith
CB McPherson
CB Brown
CB Gowan

Rock Hudson. OT is a priority

This pick will likely make the roster. All the remaining picks are serious longshots, but we always find someone.

SOME INTERESTING PLAYERS
OT Hudson
WR Wallace
ILB Cox (undersized)
ILB Barnes
IOL Dalman (OC)
IOL Brown
IOL Smith
CB McPherson
CB Brown
CB Gowan
Huh? There is plenty of talent left on board. This is a good spot for a WR, in my opinion. I’d prefer Shi Smith or Amon-Ra St. Brown. There are some good OL and CBs available as well.

Think most want to see an OT picked soon. Will we ever see a speedy receiver ?

I wont mention the "K" word until rounds 6 or 7 .....lol

Huh? There is plenty of talent left on board. This is a good spot for a WR, in my opinion. I’d prefer Shi Smith or Amon-Ra St. Brown. There are some good OL and CBs available as well.
He's just talking about historical roster building. Later round guys are less likely to stick, especially with how many players we have already. From a talent evaluation, I certainly agree that good prospects are available.

We have 80 guys on the roster right now. If we keep our next five picks and make selections, they will be roster spots 81 to 85. They could all make the 53 man roster, but much more realistically, one might make the roster and these are practice squad candidates.

Just out of interest what about UDFA's this year , if we end up with 85 players ex the draft does that mean the Pats could only have 5 UDFA's ? (Total of 90 players)

Robert Rochelle seems to be a decent bet. Let's see.

I’d rather go WR in the 4th (St. Brown, Shi Smith, Wallace) and then pick Tre Brown in the 6th. Two senior bowl WRs independently listed him as the toughest CB they faced during the week (good question by Phil Perry during his interviews for Next Pats Podcast). Potential as a starting slot guy at the next level. He is also a very good special teams guy.

Last edited:
We have 80 guys on the roster right now. If we keep our next five picks and make selections, they will be roster spots 81 to 85. They could all make the 53 man roster, but much more realistically, one might make the roster and these are practice squad candidates.

I would agree that their 6th and 7th round picks are long shots but it is historically inaccurate to say that “all of the remaining picks are long shots”. How often has BB cut a 4th round pick in his first year? The answer is very rarely, if ever, during his time with the Pats. It is highly likely that their next pick will make the team. I’d like them to package their two 6ths for a higher 5th than their comp pick.

Last edited:
Just out of interest what about UDFA's this year , if we end up with 85 players ex the draft does that mean the Pats could only have 5 UDFA's ? (Total of 90 players)

It is a virtual roster number esp. to the outsiders and esp. today. It will be a very fluctuant situation and information about signings will always come way ahead of releases. There are still players on the roster that internally might already be written off (like opt-outs, retirees) or are TC placeholders (futures contracts) depending how Draft and UDFA turn out.

Currently there are 79 players on the roster - incl Chung who will likely be a post June 1 move so he counts. There is a question of roster spot for Jakub as he was part of international program. Pats asked for exemption on a 90 man roster both previous years iirc (despite him playing year one) so maybe there's an option there to clear one more spot.

Of the opt outs there was not a single sign re Vitale and Thoran so they might get officially released today.
There are some positions with more players than Pats normally carry to TC so id expect further releases there.
F.e. IDL - pats normally carry 7 and there are already 10 listed. Id expect at least 2 of Spence, Thurman, Murray will be released over next couple of days. The release of Spence adds some $300.000 of cap space (similarly Vitale).

Positions that are significantly undersized to what Pats normally carry to TC are WR, IOL and CB so expect number of additions there.

With limited Draft class that affects depth of UDFA id guess they might use 4-5 picks and add up to 10 UDFAs.
There are also tryout options but this year they will be limited.

Last edited:
Yes, although I think the total is 76 + draft picks now (the Pats waived Dolegala), so they could sign 6.

I really wanted Hunter Long, TE, from Boston College. But, he was gone early in 3rd round (Phins got him).

Guess wait till next year for a TE...

Hope Pats move UP in the 4th round. I think they need to shore up the OL. Then, Safety.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back