PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster cutdowns - PATRIOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rated funny but in actuality very scary.
I still think a Malcom Butler for Jarvis Landry trade makes alot of sense.

Without Butler our CB depth chart gets very suspect very quickly. Are you comfortable with Rowe and J. Jones as CBs 2 and 3, both playing 30-40 snaps per game? And that assumes that everyone stays healthy.

I like Landry, but that trade would wreck our CB rotation and in exchange we'd be upgrading a position where we're already pretty strong. On most snaps where Landry was on the field, he'd be taking the place of Mitchell, which is a major upgrade but nowhere near as big a difference as downgrading from Butler to Jones in nickel formations.

Well, the Coleman trade happened mere minutes after I decided he would replace Cyrus Jones on the roster, so who knows what will happen between now and the time I finish this post that invalidates everything I'm about to say?

QB (3): Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett
RB (6): Lewis, White, Gillislee, Burkhead, Develin, Bolden
WR (5): Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell, Slater
TE (3): Gronkowski, Allen, O'Shaughnessy
T (4): Solder, Cannon, Fleming, Garcia
G/C (4): Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Karras
DL (5): Branch, Brown, Guy, Valentine, Butler
EDGE (5): T. Flowers, McClellin, Wise, Grissom, Langi
LB (4): Hightower, Harris, Van Noy, Roberts
CB (5): Butler, Gilmore, Rowe, J. Jones, Moore
S (6): McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards, Ebner, King
ST (3): Gostkowski, Allen, Cardona

This assumes IR for Edelman, Rivers, and C. Jones. There are also some players on here who seem to be shrouded in injury uncertainty and could very well end up on IR 24 hours from now. I think the names I've heard floating around are: Garcia, Langi, McClellin, Ebner. If Garcia goes to IR, the spot should go to one of Croston/Waddle/McDermott (I choose Croston due to his versatility). If Ebner goes to IR, his spot goes to the best player not already on the 53. As for who would potentially replace Langi/McClellin...I just pray it's not Mikey Bart or Nick Usher. Our edge position is downright comical right now and the situation only gets worse every week.

Additionally, there are some players on here who I really don't believe deserve a 53 man roster spot but got it by default; I expect them to be replaced by players from other organizations. Players I included on my 53 but at least partially expect to see cut are: O'Shaughnessy, Langi, Grissom, Moore, Richards.

Should be a very interesting next 24 hours.

With only one year left on his deal?

No team will trade a 1st for him without a guarantee of a long term deal.

Landry is also entering UFA, so to whatever extent Butler's value is mitigated by his contract status the same should be true for Landry.

With only one year left on his deal?

No team will trade a 1st for him without a guarantee of a long term deal.

Not saying that's not part of the equation. I think Butler to Miami upgrades them more than it does the Pats in this trade.

Landry is also entering UFA, so to whatever extent Butler's value is mitigated by his contract status the same should be true for Landry.
Straight up makes sense.

G. Gronk waived. No surprise.

"[BB] also said the Patriots' punt returner this season could come from their roster, another team's roster or a guy who isn't on a roster now"

Gee thanks, Bill, that really clears things up!

"[BB] also said the Patriots' punt returner this season could come from their roster, another team's roster or a guy who isn't on a roster now"

Gee thanks, Bill, that really clears things up!

We can reasonably infer that the Patriots' punt returner on Thursday will be someone who exists, so there is that.

Yeah, I was saying he reminded me of the Flinstones, where his feet were moving but he wasn't going anywhere.

I'd be surprised if he made it.

Who was the player I said looked like he ran with ankle weights on last night? Number 44?

He's ended up on his backside a lot this preseason so this would not shock me.

Shame, I thought he had a pretty good run in emergency duty in 2015 before HE got hurt too - but it's clear he hasn't improved at all, and may have gotten worse. Good luck to the guy, hope he lands a job somewhere.

I wouldn't even consider making that trade. I have a lot more confidence in Mitchell as WR3 with Burkhead getting some snaps in the slot than Rowe as CB2 and J. Jones as CB3.
Yes but the value is pretty equal.

I agree. I'd rather have more D but DA and MM are fragile

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back