PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Acquisitions - Next Step: Defense

oh please...just stop the end of the season woes crap...you seriously think Trent Brown and Isaiah Wynn are going to play more than 8 games apiece this coming season? Some rookie from Bohump St. in Nowheresville Tenn. is going to "LOGAN MANKINS UP!" when he's on tape getting obliterated by BACKUP DT's at the Senior Bowl practices? Oh wait...we'll match Buffalo's PERFECT 8-8 TD offense with our new 5'8" superstar's kickoff returns, that's it!!! Uh...but correct me if I am seeing different things the past few seasons than the rest of the Pom Pom Paulies around here....don't most kickoffs go in the end zone these days only to be PLACED AT THE 25??? So he's a punt returner then, huh? Great....Buffalo didn't even punt ONCE the last time we faced them..BRILLIANT!

I'm hoping BB is active in free agency before the preseason starts because if THIS is the core idea headed into this season it could end in disaster.
JEEZZUS! It sure sounds like you’re channeling your inner Pessimistic Pete here, man. I certainly hope the Pat’s sit-she-ation ain’t as dire as you seem to think.
At least there’s a ways to go before training camp begins.(fingers crossed)

If he is healthy, Flowers has more left in the tank than Hicks. A reunion makes so much sense that I’d be surprised if he signed elsewhere.

Jason McCourty’s days are definitely over but they definitely need some veteran leadership in the cornerback room. If they look at his film from last year and think that he can still contribute I wouldn’t be averse to that. He won’t cost much.

Bradberry is obviously a more significant move at CB. If they believe he is still playing at a low CB1/high CB2 level, I would give the Giants a 3 or 4 next year, as long as he is willing to rework his contract to lower his cap space (if not base salary reduction with added incentives then a 1-2 year extension).

and Browns fans celebrated his exit from their roster)

Lions fans celebrated Kyle Van Noy's exit.

I trust Bill knows how to use a Saban LBer. Look at Wilson's first season in Cleveland then look at the next 2 years. 1st year he had a different DC than the 2nd & 3rd. Joe Woods didn't know how to use him

Didn’t address our biggest need in LB. Downgraded at CB, McCourty’s a year older. Can we make the Bills punt this year? Not so sure.
I will take that bet. I’ll even give you 10/1 in each game.

Who's playing outside corner? M. Butler and J. Mills? I like that we drafted fast CB's, but they are inside guys. Butler didn't even play last year and Mills is pretty average.

Who's playing outside corner? M. Butler and J. Mills? I like that we drafted fast CB's, but they are inside guys. Butler didn't even play last year and Mills is pretty average.

Marcus Jones is slot corner, and Jack Jones is an outside corner. Jon Jones will kick outside as well. Wade can play outside also.

What is Jack Jones projected role in New England? Jones has plenty of experience in man coverage schemes, and has proven his abilities as a press-man defender. He primarily aligned on the perimeter during his time at USC and Arizona State and the expectation is that he will fill a similar role in New England’s defense.

SloJuan?

Pats are the only team in NFL history to draft the fastest WR (Taquan) and the slowest (N'Keal).

Similarly, they drafted one of the fastest CBs (MJones) and the slowest (SloJuan).

I find that fascinating.

Marcus Jones is slot corner, and Jack Jones is an outside corner. Jon Jones will kick outside as well. Wade can play outside also.

What is Jack Jones projected role in New England? Jones has plenty of experience in man coverage schemes, and has proven his abilities as a press-man defender. He primarily aligned on the perimeter during his time at USC and Arizona State and the expectation is that he will fill a similar role in New England’s defense.
Doubt it. He'll get smoked by X receivers. I think he's our #1 returner (that's great) and used in the slot, mostly.

Scouting Report: Weaknesses​

• Lacks obvious length (5-8) and so will project as a slot only corner at the next level - will struggle against the X receivers
  • Tends to be overly grabby in coverage - could be a problem in the NFL where unlike in college where PI is a spot foul
  • Size limits his ability to jam the receiver at the line of scrimmage
  • Lacks the strength to go up against bigger receivers and can be physically dominated in jump ball situations
  • Suspect technician who too often lets the action come to him and energy and effort are too inconsistent.
  • Has had issues finding the ball downfield and will keep his back to the ball and play through the receiver
  • Older than others in the class - will be 24 at the start of season
  • NFL quarterbacks may take advantage of his aggressiveness in man and zone to eye up short routes and go over the top

Doubt it. He'll get smoked by X receivers. I think he's our #1 returner (that's great) and used in the slot, mostly.

Scouting Report: Weaknesses​

• Lacks obvious length (5-8) and so will project as a slot only corner at the next level - will struggle against the X receivers
  • Tends to be overly grabby in coverage - could be a problem in the NFL where unlike in college where PI is a spot foul
  • Size limits his ability to jam the receiver at the line of scrimmage
  • Lacks the strength to go up against bigger receivers and can be physically dominated in jump ball situations
  • Suspect technician who too often lets the action come to him and energy and effort are too inconsistent.
  • Has had issues finding the ball downfield and will keep his back to the ball and play through the receiver
  • Older than others in the class - will be 24 at the start of season
  • NFL quarterbacks may take advantage of his aggressiveness in man and zone to eye up short routes and go over the top

I think you have Marcus Jones and Jack Jones confused. Marcus is 5'8" tall and is a very good slot corner, to replace Myles Bryant which we desperately need to do, and punt/kickoff returner. Jack Jones is 5'10" tall, an outside corner, and that is where he played 4 years at USC and ASU.

My post is correct.

Last edited:
I think you have Marcus Jones and Jack Jones confused. Marcus is 5'8" tall and is a very good slot corner, to replace Myles Bryant which we desperately need, and punt/kickoff returner. Jack Jones is 5'10" tall, an outside corner, and that is where he played 4 years at USC and ASU.

My post is correct.
Yea, I'm talking about the other, other Jones; not your Jones or Mac Jones.

Hopefully some more players will be brought in to challenge for the DLine spots (apart from Barmore)

Some defensive addition considerations:

NT- Danny Shelton
DE/LB- Trey Flowers
DT- Akiem Hicks
DE/DT- L.J. Collier
LB- Devin Bush
CB- Bradberry
CB- Kyle Fuller
DE- Montez Sweat
DT- Daron Payne
NT- Eddie Goldman
DT- Jerry Tillery
DE- Clelin Ferrell
DE/LB- Clowney

Last edited:
Just to throw out a different name.... anybody know what's up with Star Lotulelei? Played 16 games each year in '16-'19, nothing in '20, then 11 games in '21.

Just to throw out a different name.... anybody know what's up with Star Lotulelei? Played 16 games each year in '16-'19, nothing in '20, then 11 games in '21.
According to BUF fans..Tonga Toast...He was solid in ‘18-19, missed ‘20 due to Covid, started early this past season but eventually lost his job to Harrison Phillips.

Last edited:
Great consideration Cousin.
Danny seemed to play here just fine. His best year was 2019 and he had 3 sacks and 61 Tackles and he is only 28.

Gonna pound the table once more. We came into the Draft needing a DE and we got .......nyet!

There are players yet to consider. I know the Raiders will move Clelin Ferrell and his 35 QB pressures. John will get rid of Mayock's boys at all costs. We need the speed.

If not, Clowney or Flowers.

Out LBS from last year are too slow. Barr can still cover. Maybe gample on the flock of youngsters at LB. You have to send those chips some way.

We got two slot corners in the Draft and did not address the outside CB need. Way to go kids! James Bradberry of the Giants is priced too high but still a good player only 28. He would be our #1 corner. I say the heck with it. So let's do a blockbuster because we are all board after that Draft. Let's see if we can get a deal for both sides with players whom need change of scenery by force Trade. Our two likely suspects CB Williams and Harry, and have the Giants pay some of Branberry's salary......done deal. Might be a one year rental.

Slot receiver. Never addressed that with our crack Draft Team . We now have 6 boundry receivers or 5 if you count Meyers in the slot and he is not that. Very easy fix.The Jags will let Laviska Shenault go. Or.......................you sit down with GM OBJ and have him make a deal for Deebo. Maybe Agholor and a pick on 2023?

Simpler? Get Isabella from AZ. They have toyed with Harry.

These new kids make me long for Nick C.
No offense but Matt "Thanks Dad" Groh does not know what he is doing yet. He wamts us to buy-in that he got great value in this Draft.

He has just cost Mr. Kraft a feces load of money as I see There is maybe 2 starters and one back up in this whole Draft class........atta way to go Draft Team.

Here is my point. You get them in town tomorrow to learn the system.

Thoughts?
DW Toys
Thoughts? I think most of us just wanna know what you had for breakfast

I'll wait to see how things play out over the next few months, but the current group of cbs doesn't inspire confidence.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back