PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Acquisitions - Next Step: Defense

Maybe Hightower comes back.
If he does, I'd prefer him being a sub rusher.
If he does, please put him on the end and let him stay there with a narrower range of responsibilities. He'd excel there, I think, a beautiful compliment to Judon. And then they could put him in a rotation that keeps those legs fresher come December/January.
He was always an underrated/underutilized pass rusher.

The lack of front seven picks was scary and intriguing. Hopefully Uche, Perkins, McGrone, Wilson, McMillan are ready along with Bentley. We added a ton of speed in the secondary with Jones times three (Marcus, Jack, return of Jonathan) plus Peppers.

Would have liked more front seven picks but more important right now to get Mac right with skill guys and OL.

Another thread where people try to gaslight readers into getting excited about a LB group that might be worse than the 2020 COVID-ravaged linebacker group. You will never convince me, without the assistance of future NFL tape that doesn't exist yet, that we're all set at LB with:
  • Bentley (solid, but if he's your #1 ILB, you have work to do)
  • Wilson (only took Winovich to acquire and Browns fans celebrated his exit from their roster)
  • McMillan (missed all of last year and never played a real down for the Patriots)
  • McGrone (see McMillan, except he never played a real down in the NFL at all)
And I'll even say that I like all 4 of those guys. Just not as the top at their position on the roster. I don't think adding Hightower would move the needle too much either, but it would help.

The other names that get mentioned aren't even the same position as the guys I'm talking about. Uche, Jennings, Judon...these are edge rushers. They don't make the linebackers directly better or worse because they aren't linebackers in the same way. Then we lump in the box safeties who would only be part time linebackers like Phillips, Peppers, and Dugger.

I get that the league is evolving and hybrid safeties/LB are the future, but I really don't think the traditional ILB is going the way of the fullback anytime soon. We have lots of encouraging LB-adjacent players, but very little to get excited about in the way of actual LB.

Another thread where people try to gaslight readers into getting excited about a LB group that might be worse than the 2020 COVID-ravaged linebacker group. You will never convince me, without the assistance of future NFL tape that doesn't exist yet, that we're all set at LB with:
  • Wilson (only took Winovich to acquire and Browns fans celebrated his exit from their roster)
  • McMillan (missed all of last year and never played a real down for the Patriots)
And I'll even say that I like all 4 of those guys. Just not as the top at their position on the roster. I don't think adding Hightower would move the needle too much either, but it would help.

The other names that get mentioned aren't even the same position as the guys I'm talking about. Uche, Jennings, Judon...these are edge rushers. They don't make the linebackers directly better or worse because they aren't linebackers in the same way. Then we lump in the box safeties who would only be part time linebackers like Phillips, Peppers, and Dugger.

I get that the league is evolving and hybrid safeties/LB are the future, but I really don't think the traditional ILB is going the way of the fullback anytime soon. We have lots of encouraging LB-adjacent players, but very little to get excited about in the way of actual LB.
Peppers was playing LB FULL-TIME with the Giants. He'smore a front 7 guy who can move back to SS than a safety who can move up to the box.

Unless Belichick goes out now and gets more LB....how does Belichick say he likes his young LB without saying it?

I had a chuckle with "gaslighting". Great analogy. The way they are talked about on here is very bizarre.

This is their worst group since 2005.

I had a chuckle with "gaslighting". Great analogy. The way they are talked about on here is very bizarre.

This is their worst group since 2005.
Belichick strongly disagree with your analysis. This is nothing new.

Belichick strongly disagree with your analysis. This is nothing new.
We will be having this same conversation one year from now.

Uche is terrible. McMillan now has two ACL tears and is almost always injured. McGrone and Perkins are mystery's. Jennings is slow and is best served as a pass rusher. We already know what we have in Bentley.

This is a very bad group.

I agree. No way you should be relying on rookie LBs that barely played (or NOT) in their 1st year. DL could NOT stop the RUN. Yet, they did not address this in draft or FA to improve RUN-D.

I agree. That is because your view won't change no matter no matter the stats achieved by the defense.
So the Pats have no weaknesses... right?

Peppers was playing LB FULL-TIME with the Giants. He'smore a front 7 guy who can move back to SS than a safety who can move up to the box.
Peppers is a SS not a LB. He's only 215 lbs. He plays all over (Dline, Box, Slot corner, Outside corner, FS, STs). He's only played one complete season and has a lot of injuries (IR in 2019 & 2021). His grades have been steadily going down since his peak in 2018. If he's the answer to our ILB woes we're in trouble.

Peppers is a SS not a LB. He's only 215 lbs. He plays all over (Dline, Box, Slot corner, Outside corner, FS, STs). He's only played one complete season and has a lot of injuries (IR in 2019 & 2021). His grades have been steadily going down since his peak in 2018. If he's the answer to our ILB woes we're in trouble.
I posted the link earlier. They moved him to LB full time.

If he does, please put him on the end and let him stay there with a narrower range of responsibilities. He'd excel there, I think, a beautiful compliment to Judon. And then they could put him in a rotation that keeps those legs fresher come December/January.
I’ve said this before. HT as an edge player would have dominated his entire career. His versatility and varied skill set made him too valuable to limit to one role. At this stage it’s time to move him to that role and I think he would be excellent in it.

If you discount edge players and the 3rd safety in our nickel base, then we play 1 LB on our base defense. You named 4 you like.

I posted the link earlier. They moved him to LB full time.
That's not what his snaps show. He's only 215 #s. Our lightest LB is Hall at 235 #s.

SmartSelect_20220501-220459_Firefox.jpg

McMillan is another one. Defensive snaps:

2018 - 76%
2019 - 58%
2020 - 16%
2021 - 0%

The only thing these guys have in common is they can't stay on the field.

Last edited:
So the Pats have no weaknesses... right?
yes, there are relative weakness at CB, OLB and DT.

I am certainly willing to be corrected. However, as I recall, you stated the same weaknesses last year, and before the draft.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back