PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ron Borges is brilliant and among the best at what he does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of Anne Coulter, doesn't have much substance and predictable about what they write, but manages to piss people off and gain their attention.

yeah. these people are in the entertainment business as much as they are in the journalism business, if not more. they're trying to sell newspapers and web page hits.

His job is to sell papers, but IMO, he doesn't do that. I don't hear a lot of people saying "What is that idiot going to do next? Let's go buy todays paper to find out." Hell, I never even read the article, I just heard Mustard&Johnson talking about it on WEEI this morning.

So I agree, with all of this ranting we post here, we are only doing what he and the Globe want us to do. Ditto for Dan Shaughnessy, Gerry Callahan, Jim Donaldson, and all writers of their ilk.

Bob G

I've thought this for quite some time too. However, this latest piece, IMO, just destroys what little, if any, reputation/credibility he may have still had. He's become nothing but a joke now and forever with regards to the Patriots and anything football. The Globe has become the laughing stock of sports news in this town with exception to Reiss, who I catch online only.

What a jerk he is....like the red head who covers sox......Borges was ok when he was the boxing guy, but when McDonough died and Borges got the Notes on Sunday he had to go the Shaunessey route, since he couldn't develop the network of contacts that the great pros like McDonough and Gammons cultivate.....so with no new information, he spins things for reaction......but then again, maybe he is a genius.....he gets paid pretty well for googling nfl articles and cutting and pasting into"his" Notes column

I have been preaching this line for years. I could not agree more with this post.

Every newspaper columnist has two main objectives:

1) Sell papers.

2) Start arguments.

Borges is great at both. He is also a terrific wordsmith, in the areas of writing style, prose and vocabulary. My only problem with him is that he loses a lot of objectivity and respect because of his personal disdain for Belichick. This disdain clouds his writing and makes him someone you cannot always believe in or take seriously.

So I agree, with all of this ranting we post here, we are only doing what he and the Globe want us to do. Ditto for Dan Shaughnessy, Gerry Callahan, Jim Donaldson, and all writers of their ilk.

Bob G

Wordsmith?

This guy gives mangled prose a bad name.

Courtesy of CHFF.

Prisco’s limited linguistic ability is reminiscent of the episode of “The Simpsons” when Homer meets a representative from Reading Digest. He tells her, “Ooh, I love your magazine. My favorite section is ‘How to Increase Your Word Power.’ That thing is really...really...really...good.”

Another of Prisco’s favorite terms is a close relative of “good” named “great.” It is slightly more emphatic but no less common. The Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers, Bears, Dolphins, Saints, Jets and Raiders are all credited with making either a “good move” or a “great move.”

Is he just too dim to think of better descriptive words? Were any of the moves “shrewd” or even “brilliant”? Could an “exceptional” player possibly be characterized as an “elusive” return man possessing “blazing” speed? Somebody get this man a thesaurus immediately.

Borges has a childs grasp of Journalism - he craves attention so badly he doesn't care how annoying he has to be to get it.

Rather than work hard at being respected, like Mike Reiss, he produces these steaming piles of 'journalistic output'.

Anyone who thinks he is talented or some type of genius provocateur needs to reevaluate their standards.

NM

Borges was on Felger one day and Felger asked him why he hates BB so much and Borges (paraphrasing) said because he can never give a straight answer to a simple question and because he has no respect for guys just trying to do their job.

Felger actually had the proper response saying that the problem was that Borges had the "Globe arrogance" and the issue is that he feels he's bigger than the story.

Borges exploded and said he wasn't going to let Felger get away with that and that it was BS.

It's true that Borges and Shaughnessy just try to sell papers be being controversial but it's also true that they have monster egos and feel that they are bigger than the story. They are not content with reporting the story they have to be the story.

Some will say Borges just likes being a contrarian. It goes beyond that. He has an agenda and because of that he lacks all credibility. Felger IMO is a contrarian and he'll be critical of the Patriots. Some times I'll agree with him, some times I won't. But in the end he gives credit to BB, Borges will not.

Felger has asked Borges on there "well he's won 3 super bowls surely he's an elite coach?"

"No players win championships and he had good players."

"Well then you have to give him credit for picking good groceries?"

"No he inherited Law, Mcginist, Brown, Milloy..."

"But they picked Seymour when you thought it should have been Terrell?"

"The sun shines on every dog's @ss once in a while"

And round and round it goes.

I don't buy the Globe because of Borges and Shaughnessy and their counter parts who cover non sport articles. I'll will go Boston.com only to reed Reiss or Edes or maybe check traffic or weather.

The paper lacks total credibility in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back