PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rise Of Bailey Zappe Means More For Brian Hoyer Than Mac Jones

If he stinks it up, water is wet.

If he's competent, water is wet.

If he somehow puts up brilliant games (and not just game manager games) Mac will be in more of an "it's his to lose" position. But an ankle sprain, even the dreaded high ankle sprain, is not a sheared aorta. Like you, I don't think even a brilliant Zappe would do more than burnish his "potential" credentials

Even if Zappe stinks and we lose in CLE, and we go back to Mac for the Bears game, I'd still rather have Zappe as the #2, and Gilbert on the PS. Hoyer has only shown his inability to provide even 2 good series of football in relief the last 4 years. So, Gilbert can provide that veteran backup stability, while Zappe has shown the physical tools to at least win a game if necessary. Hoyer's been a good teammate, and it's time to hang it up.

My thinking would be in line with this thread title if my team were coached and managed by anyone other than Bill Belichick. But BB plays the long game so I expect we will be carrying both on the roster for at least this season and next before another helpless GM comes along to make an offer he can't refuse.

I repeat my prior statements: Hoyer is there primarily as a mentor at this point. The probability BB is going to run with just Jones and Zappe is almost zero.

Gotta admit though I want to see more Zappe looked real good throwing from the pocket and on the run. Mac didn't look good in those scenarios before the injury...he had happy feet and wasn't seeing the entire field. If Zappe's play brings out the best in Mac win/win Patriots.

The writing is on the wall for Hoyer. What should be considered is to release Hoyer and then sign him as a QB coach, he knows the system well, has been a mentor and formalizing that role might be best for all.

Water in and of it self is not wet. Wet is a physical characteristic it imparts to another object when it comes into contact with water.

With that said, Zappe played well vs both the Packers and Lions. We will see how he does against a better pass rush this week. If he can stay calm in the pocket, then we got a shot.

What it says about Hoyer is that he is a decent mentor, and could be a decent QB coach if he decides to go that route. His playing days, at least in New England, are limited as long as Zappe continues to develop into a player that can be relied on to perform well when called on to do so.

As for Mac... I don't think this is a Bledsoe scenario. Mac is still learning, and unlike Bledsoe, he doesn't have a decades worth of film to evaluate. But still, evaluation of options has always been modus operandi for BB.

Hoyer is pretty irrelevant at this stage. If Zappe as another win and plays efficiently it does mean a lot for Mac…especially if he then returns and loses.

Water in and of it self is not wet. Wet is a physical characteristic it imparts to another object when it comes into contact with water.
Space Odyssey Rainbow GIF by Lumi

Every time Hoyer has come into a game as relief, he makes really boneheaded plays that you would expect from a rookie, not a veteran

Id rather lose with young QBs making those mistakes and learning from them then have a 10+ year vet repeat the same mistakes and never provide us that veteran stability we need

What's wrong with Hoyer on the PS? He's paid no matter what's his status.

Hoyer is pretty irrelevant at this stage. If Zappe as another win and plays efficiently it does mean a lot for Mac…especially if he then returns and loses.
We'll have to see how Mac operates in game manager mode no more throw it up for grabs. He just needs to be more careful with the football and go through his progressions. I think this Offense going forward is Rham - a healthy D Harris or bust! Mac or Zappe should be able to throw off play action.

I repeat my prior statements: Hoyer is there primarily as a mentor at this point. The probability BB is going to run with just Jones and Zappe is almost zero.
IIRC, the reason BB wanted Flutie and Testeverde as back ups way back when was so the young-ish Brady would have an aged, experienced veteran at QB to play a similar role.

Too bad the Pats can't get someone like 38-year-old probably-only-rugged-enough-for-a-game Alex Smith or similar, but I guess Hoyer has a lot of experience here.

Gotta admit though I want to see more Zappe looked real good throwing from the pocket and on the run. Mac didn't look good in those scenarios before the injury...he had happy feet and wasn't seeing the entire field. If Zappe's play brings out the best in Mac win/win Patriots.
Doug Zappe said: Why not let Bailey Zappe do what he does best, pass to that great group of playmakers. I've watched him since he was 5 and he can pick apart defenses if given any time at all. Once he gets in a rhythm with the starting group, who he's barely been able to work with, you may see the future. Of course, I'm prejudice being his grandfather.
I take this to mean Zappe has complained that he has not had a chance to work with the ones and that is why his play selections has been limited. You go grandpa.

Last edited:
Hoyer was the primary backup before he got hurt.

Mac fans are in crisis mode.

They just forked over $150 for his jersey and now this Zappe guy shows up.

That might work for home games but ps members can't travel to away games
Makes NO difference as he would need to be elevated to the 53 and then activated to the 46. works at home and away. He's only needed if Mac and the Zapster go down.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back