PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Gil Santos

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem that today was a ****ty day all around.. My wife's Grandmother passed this morning as well.

RIP, Gil Santos..

he was just a great football radio announcer. He would set the stage so well for the listeners ("Patriots moving left to right", "ball on the far hash mark", he'd always repeat the score, down, distance, etc.). But he was much more than that, he had that rare ability to convey a big moment in the game, and always had an extra gear when a huge play unfolded. On a big run or catch he would make you picture the play, he rattled it off in 5 yard increments, mentioned every tackle broken, could get a lot of information out there in 3 or 4 seconds.

He was a Pats fan first and foremost, but never let it become homerism, he always could praise a great play or performance by an opponent. Very talented and beloved guy.

RIP Gil ... you brought joy to many.
Legendary Patriots Broadcaster Gil Santos Passes Away At Age 78

In the wake of the disappointing announcement of this year's nominations for the Pats' HOF, my thoughts today were that the first person I should contact, who would understand and empathize with my and all other lifelong Patriots fans' feelings, was Gil.

Gil was always professional...despite he and Gino clearly rooting for us, they remained classy. We had our share of blackouts over the years, and on the radio no one ever described the action with the clarity he did. He answered all your questions before you needed to ask them.

Like several Patriots players, several of whom should already be in the team HOF, Gil belied the national denigration of them as "second rate" or "unworthy".

Just a few of my favorite and/or most memorable calls by Gil:

images
"Kevin McHale...Ice cream!"

upload_2018-4-19_20-3-33.jpeg
"What do they call that thing, Gino? The Macaroni?..."

upload_2018-4-19_20-4-53.jpeg"Steve Nelson has gone to the sidelines with an apparent injury...
Here's the snap and it's an 18-yard completion as the defense really suffers without him..."

Stabler121876.jpg
"It falls incomplete and it'll be fourth down!...Now there's a flag down...
[Gino: "Oh, no."] "I don't believe this..."

upload_2018-4-19_20-14-16.jpeg"Tackle made on the play by...by number, uh...I'm sorry I can't see who..."

R.I.P.

500x305-gil-santos.jpg
images
upload_2018-4-19_20-23-31.jpeg
images
images

So many great Patriot memories, especially 98-04, with his voice calling the game as part of those memories.

RIP

Gil to me will always first be the voice of Celtics games on channel 25/56 during the Bird era. My folks were late to the cable revolution where the home games were shown, so it was Most/Ordway on the radio for those games and Santos/Cousy on TV for the road games. He was an outstanding basketball announcer.

I rarely listened to Pats games on the radio before moving away 25+ years ago, but I love his calls of the first 3 SB runs. Putting his calls on those 3 Games to Glory editions was brilliant and ensures we never forget him.

Regards,
Chris

Nothing much else I can add. Gil Santos was a gentleman and a gentle man, and a great sports announcer.

Thank you, sir, for so many great memories.

God bless Gil. An honor and pleasure to see him inducted in person to the Pats HOF, and a lifetime of blessing to hear his voice.

RIP Gil! You are the best!

I used to work on Sundays and most of the home games were blacked out in this area, so I had to listen to my "walkman" with one ear on and one off.. folks I worked with thought I was a "degenerate gambler", but was just a loyal fan..

Gil was not perfect and neither was Gino Capeletti.. but both did the job describing the game as they saw it and it came to life for this fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe