PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Riley Cooper's new deal, and the effect on market price for Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripatsfan91

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With reports that Riley Cooper is set to sign a new contract with the Eagles, I believe this will impact the pats FA plans and will set the market for Edelman's deal.

I believe it will set the top end of value for Edelman's contract because:
1. Both have one season of top end production with very little prior success; "one season wonders" so far.

2. Both are around the same age.

3. Both have similar career production.

Riley: 4 seasons, 93 catches, 1514 yds, 16.3 YPC, 13 TDs
JE: 5 seasons, 174 catches, 1770yds, 10.2 YPC, 10 TDs

I think Cooper will get a bigger contract than JE because he is younger, bigger, and his skill set is more rare than JE. But his contract will be important to set the ceiling for money JE can earn in his next contract. I hope Cooper is between 5.5-6 million average so we can get JE a little cheaper.

With reports that Riley Cooper is set to sign a new contract with the Eagles, I believe this will impact the pats FA plans and will set the market for Edelman's deal.

On a related note, the Twitter feed link re: Cooper notes the Iggles are likely to resign Maclin to a Talib-like one-year deal, too—which gives the Pats fewer options in terms of a FA Edelman replacement.

On a related note, the Twitter feed link re: Cooper notes the Iggles are likely to resign Maclin to a Talib-like one-year deal, too—which gives the Pats fewer options in terms of a FA Edelman replacement.

Boldin, Cooper, and Maclin all possibly signed before FA?

tumblr_mixwegphW91qcm0m3o1_500.gif

I believe it will set the top end of value for Edelman's contract because:
1. Both have one season of top end production with very little prior success; "one season wonders" so far.

2. Both are around the same age.

3. Both have similar career production.

Riley: 4 seasons, 93 catches, 1514 yds, 16.3 YPC, 13 TDs
JE: 5 seasons, 174 catches, 1770yds, 10.2 YPC, 10 TDs

I think Cooper will get a bigger contract than JE because he is younger, bigger, and his skill set is more rare than JE. But his contract will be important to set the ceiling for money JE can earn in his next contract. I hope Cooper is between 5.5-6 million average so we can get JE a little cheaper.
Krafty's magic word!

Boldin, Cooper, and Maclin all possibly signed before FA?

tumblr_mixwegphW91qcm0m3o1_500.gif

Speaks to the depth of the WR class coming out, I expect. They figured that if they hit free agency, they'd be in trouble, perhaps.

Also, Maclin thinks the best place to prove it in a Kelly's offense, and Boldin loves San Fran and has as good a chance at another ring there as anywhere.

Let Boldin, Cooper, and Maclin sign with other teams. I think we will be fine at receiver as long as we bring back Edelman and our rookies from last season develop. On top of that, I think our moves will be to bring in veterans like Sidney Rice, Kenny Britt, or Sanders on low risk high reward type deals.

My main interest in Cooper was to see his contract details. I can't see Edelman getting a bigger contract than Cooper.

I don't think they ever was going to sign an expensive WR.

Hopefully the impact is they can't afford Jeremy Maclin and we sign him.

47 rec 835 yards and 8 TD's I would be shocked if he gets more then 5 or 6 per year, Edelman is already in that price range am sure he would like to get paid like a 27 year old outside WR that just had 105 rec but that's not going to happen

Let Boldin, Cooper, and Maclin sign with other teams. I think we will be fine at receiver as long as we bring back Edelman and our rookies from last season develop. On top of that, I think our moves will be to bring in veterans like Sidney Rice, Kenny Britt, or Sanders on low risk high reward type deals.

My main interest in Cooper was to see his contract details. I can't see Edelman getting a bigger contract than Cooper.

The grumpy cat isn't just about not being able to sign any of the three, it makes Edelman more valuable in free agency. The starting caliber WRs in FA are getting thin: Decker, Jones, Nicks, Edelman, and maybe Sanders/Tate. The result is it increases Edelman's value.

47 rec 835 yards and 8 TD's I would be shocked if he gets more then 5 or 6 per year, Edelman is already in that price range am sure he would like to get paid like a 27 year old outside WR that just had 105 rec but that's not going to happen

Why would Edelman already be in the price range and Cooper not be?

I definitely agree with those who feel that Riley Cooper's deal will be more than Edelman's. I am expecting a ceiling of around 5 to 5.5 million per year average myself, and that's probably even a bit high in my opinion.

I think Philly retains Maclin for another year as well. That sucks, because I would have loved to have him here on that "prove it," one year deal myself.

Edelman could land a similar money from the right team which won't be New England most likely but I'm more curious as to how much money Decker makes out with.

If Cooper gets 5.5-6 million and its reportedly a 4 year deal, (4/22 mil), I think we could get JE to take 3/15 or 4/20. Fair for both sides, and I think Edelman enjoys playing with Brady.

We need to resign him because I don't want to have to depend on Amendola staying healthy for 16+ consecutive games and no one has the experience or chemistry that JE has with Brady.

Edelman could land a similar money from the right team which won't be New England most likely but I'm more curious as to how much money Decker makes out with.

I think Decker will probably get 8-9.5 million a year from a team. Probably something along the lines of 5/45 million

Edelman could land similar money no doubt with all the teams that have huge cap space, but who is the right team? If I am JE, I would want nothing to do with Houston or Cleveland because of all the QB questions there. Maybe Baltimore? Pittsburgh? San Diego? Its hard to say because I think JE knows that if he takes the biggest offer on the table, he would be taking a risk going to a new system and new staff. I think as long as BB offers him a contract within the ballpark of his value, he will be back.

Why would Edelman already be in the price range and Cooper not be?

I said Cooper will get 5 or 6 and that's about what Edelman will get, Edelman may try to get more then that because he had twice as many rec as Cooper and is only one year older

I said Cooper will get 5 or 6 and that's about what Edelman will get, Edelman may try to get more then that because he had twice as many rec as Cooper and is only one year older

Rumor on the Eagles' board is 3.5-4 million a year. Edelman has also played an extra season. They have both been just as inconsistent in their careers and this was their first big year. If Cooper only gets 4 APY, take notes JE

Riley Cooper - Philadelphia Eagles - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The Philly Inquirer reported earlier in the day that the sides were close. We're fascinated to see the money as Cooper returns from a career-best year. Then-rookie coach Chip Kelly stood behind Cooper through an incredibly difficult time following Cooper's drunken, racist remarks at a Kenny Chesney concert, then started him in every game. We suspect the Eagles will get Cooper at a discount price, perhaps something in the $3 million to $4 million per-year range.

I think Decker will probably get 8-9.5 million a year from a team. Probably something along the lines of 5/45 million

I've thought that those who predicted Eric Decker getting 9+ million dollars were absolutely insane the whole time, but we'll have to see.

I think a lot of these projections for Edelman, Decker, and Cooper are all high-- by about an average of 2m + per year.

I see the highs of Decker at 7, Cooper at 5, and Edelman at 4.

I've thought that those who predicted Eric Decker getting 9+ million dollars were absolutely insane the whole time, but we'll have to see.

I think a lot of these projections for Edelman, Decker, and Cooper are all high-- by about an average of 2m + per year.

I see the highs of Decker at 7, Cooper at 5, and Edelman at 4.

I think that's what the pats will offer Edelman around 4 and he may have to take it, I don't think there will be a big market for the mid level guys that had career years

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes