PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Riley Cooper....

Interesting issue, teams and the league have to use equal standards when it comes to fining and disciplining players and now they have set a bar where players will be fined for using the N word. I guess that means that any player who uses the word at any time and gets caught is now subject to a fine, because they are going to have a real problem on their hands if they are applying any standard to only one racial group within the league.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the word and would love to see it wiped away for good, but the double standard isn't going to work in a setting where standards have to be the same under the CBA.

This would be pretty funny chit actually...:D

and let me guess, the swastika is just a symbol?;)

Correct. I don't approve of someone wearing a swastika but I'm not so pathetically weak that I'm going to let the sight of it own me.

Do you know what it means?

Oh god if you're going to claim it's just an ancient pagan symbol or some ****, guess what it's been transformed into an emblem of hate so that's what it 'means' now

Symbols and words are incredibly important in reinforcing the jhighly racialized power structures we exist in (the n-word comes from a place of power, cracker does not -- cracker refers to the crack of a whip, for what it's worth; the words are not equivalent even if both are hateful because power matters more than emotion) so nothing is 'just a symbol' unless you're a Derridan deconstructionist

Getting away from philosophy, Riley Cooper was never a very good wide receiver and he'd be a pariah in whatever locker room he ends up in. He's probably done in the NFL and that's what happens when you're an idiot who doesn't have enough talent to make up for it. He would not be good enough to take Amendola or Edelman off the field.

Correct. I don't approve of someone wearing a swastika but I'm not so pathetically weak that I'm going to let the sight of it own me.

again context if you can't see why wearing a swastika as a jewish person would be offensive I don't know what to tell you.

Symbols and words are incredibly important in reinforcing the jhighly racialized power structures we exist in (the n-word comes from a place of power, cracker does not -- cracker refers to the crack of a whip, for what it's worth; the words are not equivalent even if both are hateful because power matters more than emotion) so nothing is 'just a symbol' unless you're a Derridan deconstructionist

Was the person doing the whipping white? Yes, so even though I've never whipped a black person I've been called cracka more times than I can count, do you seriously think that term isn't used to demean whites?

As far as words and symbols go, what power does it have over anyone if they simply chose not to react to it?

again context if you can't see why wearing a swastika as a jewish person would be offensive I don't know what to tell you.

There's a difference between being offended and losing control over oneself because of it.

What harm has Cooper actually done to any black person? I don't know of anything yet people get completely up in arms over it but they don't seem to care over drunk drivers who routinely kill people.

Cooper uttered a word, suppose Cooper just hauled off and hospitalized the bouncer without uttering any words, do you think anyone would care?

Stupid Nazis had to ruin everything.

Was the person doing the whipping white? Yes, so even though I've never whipped a black person I've been called cracka more times than I can count, do you seriously think that term isn't used to demean whites?

As far as words and symbols go, what power does it have over anyone if they simply chose not to react to it?

As a white person you can be personally insulted by a hateful term, but your status in the highly racialized (though not only racialized - socioeconomic status, or class, at birth is as if not more important, though the two are highly correlated as well) power structure is never threatened by that term while the n-word is inherently a reinforcement of the unequal power structure.

I think this is probably getting too far out of the realm of football though so please PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation so we don't waste space better devoted to discussion of a mediocre wide receiver.

I came close to using the "N" word one time, it was in a joke and I regret it; however, I've used cracker on occasion and have felt no shame. See if you can understand this: two 7 year olds, one black and one white are called by those racist names. I suppose the two boys are affected equally....................

There's a difference between being offended and losing control over oneself because of it.

What harm has Cooper actually done to any black person? I don't know of anything yet people get completely up in arms over it but they don't seem to care over drunk drivers who routinely kill people.

Cooper uttered a word, suppose Cooper just hauled off and hospitalized the bouncer without uttering any words, do you think anyone would care?

lmao at uttered, this is going nowhere. Go ahead and yell the N word at some black people let me know how it goes for you.

lmao at uttered, this is going nowhere. Go ahead and yell the N word at some black people let me know how it goes for you.

I already said that I don't approve of using the word but thank you for proving my point.

As a white person you can be personally insulted by a hateful term, but your status in the highly racialized (though not only racialized - socioeconomic status, or class, at birth is as if not more important, though the two are highly correlated as well) power structure is never threatened by that term while the n-word is inherently a reinforcement of the unequal power structure.

I think this is probably getting too far out of the realm of football though so please PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation so we don't waste space better devoted to discussion of a mediocre wide receiver.

I actually think this dialogue is far more important and relevant to our society than the football abilities of Riley Cooper:D

I'm not seeing how the use of the word actually lowers a black person within the existing power structure. How does it change, on an every day level, what a person can do and what resources they can access?

I think the fuss over stuff like this actually detracts from a discussion about things that would actually improve the lot of blacks in the US but that's the last thing the victim industry wants because they're the primary beneficiaries of the status quo, I wish people would get 1/100th as offended at them as they do a damned word.

I am sure the word is used in their locker room often, albeit a different context. What a joke, this is not a news worthy story. Who gives a f&ck what Riley Whoever says about whoever. Next question! The double standard is nauseating. I thought reparations were made for slavery long ago, let it go people. White guilt needs to die!

Oh god if you're going to claim it's just an ancient pagan symbol or some ****, guess what it's been transformed into an emblem of hate so that's what it 'means' now

Are you one of those self loathing whites?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back