PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Rhamondre Stevenson

Take Gaffney away and you still have six HB's, I can never remember a time the Pats carried six HB's on their roster... ever.
and they won't this time.

However, the logjam is in the eyes of the beholder. Bolden will not get a RB spot. If he has a spot, it is as a STer.
Gaffney might make the Practice Squad, unlikely I would think.
So, we are left with whether returner Taylor will replace Michel. That is not a matter of logjam, just a lack of faith in Mitchel.

Personally, I think that if we trade or cut Mitchel, we would sign a free agent.

and they won't this time.

However, the logjam is in the eyes of the beholder. Bolden will not get a RB spot. If he has a spot, it is as a STer.
Gaffney might make the Practice Squad, unlikely I would think.
So, we are left with whether returner Taylor will replace Michel. That is not a matter of logjam, just a lack of faith in Mitchel.

Personally, I think that if we trade or cut Mitchel, we would sign a free agent.
Michel won’t get cut, they could trade him for a pick. And if they move on, it will be due to the fact they have to either pay him or move on, he has an injury history and the kids are ready.

Just relabeling Bolden “a special teams player” doesn’t open up an extra spot on the roster. Brandin is annually voted most likely to be cut and annually ruins that prediction. He does everything well and has position versatility.

Taylor looked good last year, has the potential to improve and add to kick returns. Gaffney is a body because many RB’s didn’t show up to OTA’s but he could look good and make cutting him a hard decision.

At the end of the day Stevenson is a big athletic strong prospect, he has to show he can add to ST’s and not be a weakness in the passing game to not get the Foxboro Flu designation. He’ll have to excel substantially to get some regular season run at HB.

1. Michel won’t get cut, they could trade him for a pick. And if they move on, it will be due to the fact they have to either pay him or move on, he has an injury history and the kids are ready.

2. Just relabeling Bolden “a special teams player” doesn’t open up an extra spot on the roster. Brandin is annually voted most likely to be cut and annually ruins that prediction. He does everything well and has position versatility.

3. Taylor looked good last year, has the potential to improve and add to kick returns. Gaffney is a body because many RB’s didn’t show up to OTA’s but he could look good and make cutting him a hard decision.

4. At the end of the day Stevenson is a big athletic strong prospect, he has to show he can add to ST’s and not be a weakness in the passing game to not get the Foxboro Flu designation. He’ll have to excel substantially to get some regular season run at HB.
I agree with #4.

Michel won’t get cut, they could trade him for a pick. And if they move on, it will be due to the fact they have to either pay him or move on, he has an injury history and the kids are ready.
$1.8M is fine for a backup RB, who can start as necessary.

$1.8M is fine for a backup RB, who can start as necessary.
Sony’s getting 1.79 million and no player wants to play the final year of his contract at the highest impact position in the most violent sport in the world.

If they trade him, it will be to a team wiling to extend him for more than the Pats are willing to offer. Chandler Jones and Brandin Cooks were traded and not because they disliked the player, but because these player’s agents made it clear what they were asking and the Patriots knew they weren’t approaching that.

Just relabeling Bolden “a special teams player” doesn’t open up an extra spot on the roster. Brandin is annually voted most likely to be cut and annually ruins that prediction. He does everything well and has position versatility.

Taylor looked good last year, has the potential to improve and add to kick returns. Gaffney is a body because many RB’s didn’t show up to OTA’s but he could look good and make cutting him a hard decision.

At the end of the day Stevenson is a big athletic strong prospect, he has to show he can add to ST’s and not be a weakness in the passing game to not get the Foxboro Flu designation. He’ll have to excel substantially to get some regular season run at HB.

Michel won't be simply cut...But I don't believe he should be traded either, unless it's for a top-100 pick...and I know we're not getting that for him from anyone.

Agree about Bolden...But if Stevenson is willing to make the sacrifice, then he has the potential to become the 2020's version of Bolden but with a higher ceiling as a runner, though the cost of acquiring him came at a much higher price than the one for Bolden himself.

The bolded line just isn't going to come even remotely close to ever happening...Gaffney's dead ****ing last on the RB/FB depth chart right now, and that's not ever, Ever changing...Complete waste.

Last edited:
Still not understanding the Michel dislike. So he's not the second coming. He has delivered. 2019 wouldn't have been successful without him. He ran well the latter half on 2020. He's definitely worth the money because if anything happens to Harris, he's the man.

Still not understanding the Michel dislike. So he's not the second coming. He has delivered. 2019 wouldn't have been successful without him. He ran well the latter half on 2020. He's definitely worth the money because if anything happens to Harris, he's the man.

Agree with the sentiment, but I think you mean 2018 wouldn't have been successful (Super Bowl year). 2019 he was hurt and no where near as effective, though OL didn't help there either.

Michel won't be simply cut...But I don't believe he should be traded either, unless it's for a top-100 pick...and I know we're not getting that for him from anyone.

Agree about Bolden...But if Stevenson is willing to make the sacrifice, then he has the potential to become the 2020's version of Bolden but with a higher ceiling as a runner, though the cost of acquiring him came at a much, Much, MUCH higher price than the one for Bolden himself.

The bolded line just isn't going to come even remotely close to ever happening...Gaffney's dead ****ing last on the RB/FB depth chart right now, and that's not ever, Ever changing...Complete waste.
It’s not just a matter of thinking Sony should be cut or traded. BB thought he could allow Jamie Collins and Malcolm Butler to play out the final year of their rookie contract and both players became disgruntled malcontents who let it effect their play on the field.

Sony comes across like a high character guy but he won’t put himself in a position to get hurt before his next deal either. There’s also the potential he plays hard but no other team is willing to spend for him knowing his injury concerns and the Pats re-sign him for a reasonable amount.

More or less what I said about Stevenson in comparing him to Bolden. Bolden is a good gunner in the coverage units, he can play FB, he can be that bigger RB. He’s not a shoe in to be cut, if Stevenson can do what he does then possibly. Bill has no problem red shirting rookies.

They needed a RB for these offseason workouts. Gaffney is not without talent. If he looks good in preseason he’ll get a job, if not in NE than somewhere.

Agree completely. He was decent his first year but not spectacular, had a subpar injury hit second year and actually last year i thought when fit he looked great.

If Sony hadn’t missed some games in 2018 he would have ranked roughly 4th in rushing yards based off his projected stats. He led the NFL in postseason attempts, yards, yards per attempt, yards per game and TD’s.

He’s a very good player who if he didn’t have a bad wheel would be great. His health is the only question mark and it’s not even a question, he has a bad knee. It’s not a question of if his career will end soon but when and what’s he worth to find out. RB’s are expendable, replaceable... you don’t overpay these guys. Gurley is a fine example why.

The blocking in 2019 was terrible, it’s the biggest reason the offense was terrible. It’s what got Brady hurt by the end of the season, it’s why Sony struggled and improved late in the season when the O-Line got healthy.

Second fave pick after Mac. If he can catch passes out of the backfield when plays break down I’ll be excited. The feet combined with the size is great.

Agree about Bolden...But if Stevenson is willing to make the sacrifice, then he has the potential to become the 2020's version of Bolden but with a higher ceiling as a runner, though the cost of acquiring him came at a much, Much, MUCH higher price than the one for Bolden himself.

A 4th Round pick isn't "MUCH MUCH higher" than anything. it's a crap shoot, with a life expectancy in the NFL of 2-3 years.

Stevenson will be primarily a running back, which Bolden never was.

Howe had a story about Stevenson today.

Man, Howe has gotten me thinking that this may be the best Patriots draft class in a long time...Barmore, Perkins, Stevenson, and Bledsoe all seem to be hits....I know it's early....and I even like McGrone who won't see the field, the speedster from FCU, Sherman the OL-man, and oh... someone named Mac....

i want a mcgrone jersey !

Me, neither. When he first came here I had him wrongly pegged as a bust, even going go far to say he couldn't play, but I was wrong. He's been a good football player for this team. Game changer? No. Star? No. But a solid 'glue' guy. You need guys like that. Especially on a talented team.

I’d have no problem if he was a 600 yard and 8 TD a season short yardage, clock killing bulldozer
Is anyone else looking at "michel, taylor, stevenson" and being reminded of the "earth, wind and fire" NY Giants with Brandon Jacobs (stevenson), Ward (michel - he was great when healthy last year, doubley so after seeing Harris assume the starting gig. Running with purpose rather than looking to grind out a season, if you will) and the jitterbug's (taylor) name escapes me. Apologies if I'm miscasting ward. No, I don't think any of our 3 are as talented as any of that NYG trio. What does excite me is the complimentary nature of the 3. Stevensons size, hands and willingness to block raise some interesting possibilities for 2 back sets...

We should have an excellent ol. Should have plus TE production as well (as opposed to the joke of a te crew we put together last year).

Brady screwed up BBs schedule by remaining the GOAT well into his 40s. Imo, BB has clearly been pushing the team towards a "heavier" offense for the last ten years. A) Brady wasn't getting any younger, and Bill isn't afraid to plan ahead. B) Defenses have been transitioning to "lighter" packages in an effort to clamp down on passing attacks. C) What better way to set up a young qb than to have an excellent defense, great OL, and reliable weapons at the skill positions?

Defense wins championships. Some things never change.

When was the last time we saw such widely accepted claims that BB had "blown" multiple drafts? How'd that next season go again?

Will the same fans that give BB no slack for last season's covid disasters point to said lost season and discount what I expect to be a very good season this year?

Me, neither. When he first came here I had him wrongly pegged as a bust, even going go far to say he couldn't play, but I was wrong. He's been a good football player for this team. Game changer? No. Star? No. But a solid 'glue' guy. You need guys like that. Especially on a talented team.

You weren't entirely wrong, because he needs to be compared to who else was available at the time of the pick.

You weren't entirely wrong, because he needs to be compared to who else was available at the time of the pick.

I don't truly disagree -- remember, I thought they'd use Michel like a bigger Dion Lewis, and said that Chubb was a better workhorse -- but recall that Penny was a rumored target of ours, too. Chubb has obviously been great, but we could have ended up with one of these others guys, instead. Michel has had a better career than any of them. What if cuts both ways.

Michel would seem to be a perfect sweetener in a trade for Julio. Atlanta could save face for not getting anywere near their asking price by hyping the return of a Georgia Bulldog back, one that their fans would feel all warm and fuzzy about. I am thinking Sony and a 3 for Julio.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back