PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Rhamondre Stevenson

I do. I love him. If he's on the 53 there will be no issues on my end.

Maybe it's Sony who goes? No ST value and not a big part of the passing game (but better)
If Sony shows he can catch (Narrator: he can), are we sure that James White is a lock?

If Stidham doesn't show SOMETHING in camp, he'll be on the PS or with another team. I don't think they're keeping three on the 53.

Is it bold to think that Mac Jones will be better than Stidham after a single preseason?

I don't think it's too bold, no. Stidham beat out Hoyer for the backup role in his rookie year, and Jones comes in more "pro ready" by a country mile than Stidham did (in theory at least). I won't go as far as to say it's a BAD sign if he doesn't beat Stidham out, but it certainly would dump some cold water on my expectations for the kid, at least in 2021.

If Sony shows he can catch (Narrator: he can), are we sure that James White is a lock?

Now THIS is a bold take. I don't see any way White is not on this roster, barring injury.

I really liked this pick, a bit surprised he went as high as round 4 but I drafted him repeatedly in a lot of my mocks... loved his size, we need another Blount style bruising RB in our stable

He's also apparently one of the best passing blocking backs in the draft, so I think its all upside for this guy

If Stidham doesn't show SOMETHING in camp, he'll be on the PS or with another team. I don't think they're keeping three on the 53.

Is it bold to think that Mac Jones will be better than Stidham after a single preseason?
We just released Dolegala (sp?), Cam is a running qb (injury waiting to happen), and Mac is an unproven rookie.

so 1. You think it’s a good idea to only have 2 QBs in that situation. LOL
And 2 you think a 4th rd pick with two years of NEP coaching/development wont get snatched up off the PS by just one of 31 possible teams with a 5-7 rounder sitting in the qb3 position (that most teams carry.). LOLx2

We just released Dolegala (sp?), Cam is a running qb (injury waiting to happen), and Mac is an unproven rookie.

so 1. You think it’s a good idea to only have 2 QBs in that situation. LOL
And 2 you think a 4th rd pick with two years of NEP coaching/development wont get snatched up off the PS by just one of 31 possible teams with a 5-7 rounder sitting in the qb3 position (that most teams carry.). LOLx2
Hey, LOLface, if Stidham shows nothing more, he's a JAG, and they can always be found in pinch - heck,lure Hoyer back out of retirement for a few games.

Sony isn't a 10th of the receiver Sweet Feet is on his best day.

White is a lock ( I think)
White wasn't good last year (mostly because of the guy who will again be QB). He also, surprisingly to me, had almost ZERO Fa market.

Is something up? Has he lost a step? he was never a quality runner, but yes, an otherworldly pass catching back. Why did he sign a $2.46 qualifying vet contract? He's not as expensive, and way less against the cap, than Michel. makes me go "hmm," is all.

White wasn't good last year (mostly because of the guy who will again be QB). He also, surprisingly to me, had almost ZERO Fa market.

Is something up? Has he lost a step? he was never a quality runner, but yes, an otherworldly pass catching back. Why did he sign a $2.46 qualifying vet contract? He's not as expensive, and way less against the cap, than Michel. makes me go "hmm," is all.
I am hoping the team does right with White, he has been dependable, clutch for this team. Watching all these FA come in here and get these inflated contracts kinda sucks for me( for him).

White is a dinosaur for RBs in this league. He’s also limited between the tackles. That’s why he had zero FA market.

He may be in decline. Tough to tell. IIRC he had some bumps and bruises last year. Plus his dad died. He gets a pass for any perceived sub-par performance. If his prod is not good this year then maybe it's time to move on.

Sooner or later you have to replace old special teamers with young special teamers. Guys like Bolden and Slater will eventually be replaced. Stevenson is a good candidate to replace one of them.
why, because he is a backup? Is there any reason to believe that he will be top Ster? For Belichick, Gunner, Bolden, Slater, Bethel, King and Davis aren't backups who play special teams. They are hired to be special teamers. I suspect that Reynolds will beat out King this year.

Belichick wants to have the top STers in the league. When Bolden was gone he was missed. When Bolden and Slater are replaced, it will likely be by Belichick signing veterans from other teams. Belichick values Sters more and pays them more than any other coach. He has many more STO roster spots than other teams. Others pay top of the market for WR's. Belichick pays top of the market for special teamers. To make up for the difference, Belichick requires that position players be play many roles.
King hasn't played in 2 years. Saying he is a lock is a bold proclamation.
I agree that King will have problems making the roster. Reynolds will likely take his roster spot. We seem to always have one LB/STO player.

Hey, LOLface, if Stidham shows nothing more, he's a JAG, and they can always be found in pinch - heck,lure Hoyer back out of retirement for a few games.
I don't want Jones ACTIVE for Game 1. I think that he should be inactive until he is ready to play.

I do. I love him. If he's on the 53 there will be no issues on my end.

Maybe it's Sony who goes? No ST value and not a big part of the passing game (but better)

Sony ... such a question mark. When he's on he reminds me of your namesake. But he seems to have the inconsistency of a Maroney.

A lot of things went into that though. Some of it could be decline for sure, but also the loss of his dad mid season, a generally dysfunctional offense, and the fact that Cam really struggled with short field accuracy which is critical all the time really, but especially when you're talking about timing on screens, which is White's bread and butter. White's biggest value this year will be when/if Mac Jones takes over. Jones has the accuracy to make better use of White, and White is as good a safety valve for a young QB as you'll find in the NFL (again, assuming his numbers drop last year wasn't primarily age related).

I knew he was injured often the past couple years but didn't realize he didn't play at all. Not good for an ST only player.

And we didn't miss a beat without him.

This is a common thread throughout PatsFans (we don't have a #1 WR over and over), and it hardly ever happens. We had Moss and AB, neither ended up great. Edelman and Welker are great but not big time talents. BB much prefers a big time TE, but posters always want a big time WR. Winning 6 Super Bowls with "small time" WRs leads me to believe a big time WR is not a BB objective.
Moss was exceptional his first two seasons in NE. AB is a creep, I’m glad they dumped him. I don’t think they can assume Mac Jones can make the receivers better in the ways Brady did, I think this is going to be more like Drew Brees where he can be a really really good QB if you surround him with playmakers. Free agency is not a good route to go down IMO as the best receivers are grossly overpriced, so they had better figure out how to draft great receivers or this may not work. overall I think Belichick’s goal is to create a defense that is dominant, and a run game that wears teams down and controls TOP, and have a QB who can keep them on the field and make plays on 3rd down. I don’t think he expects anyone to replace Brady, but he still wants a good QB.

Sony ... such a question mark. When he's on he reminds me of your namesake. But he seems to have the inconsistency of a Maroney.

Michel needs a good interior OL to be effective, and they have that, I think he’s the opposite of Maroney, who spent most of his time dancing around waiiing for a hole to open, He simply never learned how to hit the hole immediately.

If you expect it you will be disappointed, and then you might start a "We still don't have a #1 WR" thread and the vast majority of posters will roll their eyes. Limit expectations in life to stay happy and healthy. :D

Im not in the crowd that demands a #1wideout, and I don’t think they would have beaten Seattle had they relied on a downfield passing game. However now that Brady is gone I do think they have to upgrade their weapons for their QB to have success. That doesn’t mean they have to have a Randy Moss on the team but they are still going to need playmakers. I love the 2 TE sets but they will need more than that two be great.

A lot of things went into that though. Some of it could be decline for sure, but also the loss of his dad mid season, a generally dysfunctional offense, and the fact that Cam really struggled with short field accuracy which is critical all the time really, but especially when you're talking about timing on screens, which is White's bread and butter. White's biggest value this year will be when/if Mac Jones takes over. Jones has the accuracy to make better use of White, and White is as good a safety valve for a young QB as you'll find in the NFL (again, assuming his numbers drop last year wasn't primarily age related).

I really think Newton was the reason for White’s down year, he couldn’t hit a pass to a RB to save his life. And I hope Newton is pissed that they drafted Jones, he needs to be pushed as hard as possible, and I hope Jones beats him out in camp and Cam is relegated to the bench, I have absolutely no confidence in him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back