PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Wed might have counted as a day as even though it was announced Wed it may have been actually signed the night before.

Wednesday would not count towards the 5 days. To clarify, 1 day would represent one 24hr period; which would make Thursday (4/11) by the end of business day the first day counted. If the offer was signed Tuesday it would not make a difference as it was not received by the league until Wednesday. Therefore Wednesday would not be counted as 1 day.

Sunday the 14th is the fifth day, but the league office is closed over the weekend. So no transactions can be processed today. So technically they have until the start of business tomorrow.

Sunday is the 4th day. You are incorrectly counting Wednesday.

I'm starting to wonder if they have decided to match and are simply busting the Patriots balls by making them wait for the decision as payback for the signing.
There is no reason for a team to announce they are not matching. They do not report a decision to the league, they either match or have their deadline to do so expire.

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10

It was on nfln that today was the last day.

There is no reason for a team to announce they are not matching. They do not report a decision to the league, they either match or have their deadline to do so expire.

True, and the more i thought about it the more unlikely that is as they would only be poisoning their relationship with Sanders and his agent by waiting until the last second to announce they are keeping him. I do have a hard time believing they still haven't reached a decision.

It was on nfln that today was the last day.

If today is the last day I will gladly admit I was wrong, and will be happy that I won't have till wait till tomorrow to find out if Sanders is a pat:D. If it is today then the NFL does not follow typical business time frames; which is very possible.

Just saw that La Canfora says the Steelers' decision on Sanders will likely come on MONDAY...

I thought the deadline was today - first I heard 4pm, then 11:59:59pm.

Hmm...

The only reference on Jason's twitter is 11:59 Sunday night.

I hope we end up him tonight. A WR trio of Sanders, Amendola, and a highly drafted rookie (Allen/Hunter/Wheaton) and I'm starting to feel good about our WRs. Add in Edelman and Jones for depth and it's young, fast, and new.

I hope we end up him tonight. A WR trio of Sanders, Amendola, and a highly drafted rookie (Allen/Hunter/Wheaton) and I'm starting to feel good about our WRs. Add in Edelman and Jones for depth and it's young, fast, and new.

Pats will go defense in round 1 if they land sanders.

Pats will go defense in round 1 if they land sanders.

I'm all for a trade down unless Keenan Allen is there. The CB/DE value for 29 is pretty bad, unless Carradine fell. Defense will probably be our first pick though, where ever that pick ends up being.

Everyone except for LaCaforia is reporting today is the 5th day. I am betting he is wrong and so are you.

So, if someone leaks the information tonight, we'll find out; otherwise tomorrow.

BTW, how does PITT contact the league tonight, by fax? :)

I'm all for a trade down unless Keenan Allen is there. The CB/DE value for 29 is pretty bad, unless Carradine fell. Defense will probably be our first pick though, where ever that pick ends up being.

My guess is that the pats will draft a CB, with an eye to the future. If talib or dennard get hurt again, then we are screwed, and Bb knows it. Plus talib may be gone as a free agent after next season. Remmber when Light was threatening retirement a few years ago, then the pats drafted nate solder when nobody expected an OT? For this reason I think they go CB.

Everyone except for LaCaforia is reporting today is the 5th day. I am betting he is wrong and so are you.

If I'm wrong its because the NFL does not follow standard business practices; which is very possible. I write contacts for a living and based my comments of off standard business contracts. Which would mean that1 day would mean a 24 hr period ending on a business day, and if it landed on a non business day would be pushed to the next business day. In other words if I gave you a contract with 1 day to sign on a Monday, you would have till EOBD on Tuesday not Monday. Its possible that 1 day in the nfl means same day, but I doubt it.

For another example. If you ordered the book "I'm always right regardless of the facts," by Deus Irea on Amazon. And if you ordered it on Wednesday and got 2 day shipping. It would come on Friday, not Thursday.

My guess is that the pats will draft a CB, with an eye to the future. If talib or dennard get hurt again, then we are screwed, and Bb knows it. Plus talib may be gone as a free agent after next season. Remmber when Light was threatening retirement a few years ago, then the pats drafted nate solder when nobody expected an OT? For this reason I think they go CB.

There were plenty of people who commented that the Pats could take Solder. Especially on this forum..

I'm starting to wonder if they have decided to match and are simply busting the Patriots balls by making them wait for the decision as payback for the signing.
No, Ivan, they are busting OUR balls by making us wait.

The Pats have nothing really going on until the draft right now, so they can give a ***** about whether its today or next Tuesday. WE, on the other hand, are the ones standing on pins and needles waiting for an answer. ;)

There were plenty of people who commented that the Pats could take Solder. Especially on this forum..

Maybe some, but im guessing that the vast majority wanted a pass rusher that year.

Yep, most of the focus was pass rush, as always, but Solder was definitely part of the discussion. Belichick had a good idea Light was retiring and moved for his replacement a year early, which is great planning. I have been wondering for a while if the same dynamic could come into play regarding brandon Spikes, who I would be willing to bet is gone after this season. If Belichick is of the belief that they won't be re-signing Spikes then he could surprise us and go after Jones, or Ogletree, or Okafor with the intention of moving Hightower to MLB after this season.

If I'm wrong its because the NFL does not follow standard business practices; which is very possible. I write contacts for a living and based my comments of off standard business contracts. Which would mean that1 day would mean a 24 hr period ending on a business day, and if it landed on a non business day would be pushed to the next business day. In other words if I gave you a contract with 1 day to sign on a Monday, you would have till EOBD on Tuesday not Monday. Its possible that 1 day in the nfl means same day, but I doubt it.

For another example. If you ordered the book "I'm always right regardless of the facts," by Deus Irea on Amazon. And if you ordered it on Wednesday and got 2 day shipping. It would come on Friday, not Thursday.

All this is written in the CBA. Standard business practices are most likely irrelevant. It is based on a system that is agreed to between the owners and players. So whatever the rules are and when the clock starts is probably spelt out clearly in the the CBA.

For example, the end of a league day as spelt out in the CBA is 4PM ET. That is when all waiver claims have to be submitted, all cuts on cutdown days, roster bonuses are due if a player is still on the roster, etc. That clearly is not a standard business practice if a contract says something is due at the end of the day on a certain day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back