PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Press Conference

The biggest mistake one can commit is never learn from his past mistakes. Will this guy never learn?

People here are being far too dismissive of Ryan and the Bills. The Bills won 9 games last year, with Kyle Orton under center. If that team can just get Kyle Orton level QB play this year, Rex could very well get that team into the playoffs. And, despite people's attempt to minimize it, Rex does defend Brady well.

Big if and both RBs are FAs I believe. Who will their QB be? It is a QB driven league.

I take it back HUGE if.

Ryan is flawed but this is as good a team as the ones that he took to the AFCCG, imo. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll be our main threat for the division.

Rex isn't going to take anyone to the SB, though, because his coaching deficiencies become more pronounced later in the year. You can't be an idiot with time management when the margin for error is razor thin, like the playoffs.

He should have spend 3-4 years being a DC or Assistant HC somewhere like Belichick did after Cleveland went south. Taking no time to recover and learn lessons means that Rex will still have the same issues he did in NY.

Still, if I was a Bills fan I'd be stoked.

The Jets had Revis who do the Bills have at CB?

I like Rex Ryan as a person and his one of the best DC's in the NFL and a ok HC but he talks about loyalty the reason he only had 2 good years with the jets and the reason the eagles are watching the playoffs from home is mark sanchez he stayed with him until the jets got old and players moved on.

the one thing about BB is he really has no player loyalty we may not always like it as fans but he has been to 4 AFCCG in a row all with different starting CB's WR's and most of the DL and OL it's nothing personal it's only business you have to know when to move on from players that ant getting it done

Forget Scabchez, the next starting QB for Buffalo might well be Ryan Mallett. Pectoral tear surgery has about a 3-4 month recovery time http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953288/. If Rex remains true to form of chasing after former Patriots he could very well make a play for him as he's a FA. Houston would seem a more likely landing spot for someone more high profile (Cutler) simply by virtue of having a 1st rounder, not to mention having T. Savage (4th Rd #135 in 2014) on the roster.

Also M. Cassel and B. Hoyer are FA's too and I think Whalen and Rex will bring someone in to challenge Manuel who's the only QB on the roster, and we know Rexy loves him some former Patriots.

The Bills are also in good cap shape (25 mil under est 2015 cap w/57 signed) http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/ and that doesn't even include taking Orton off the books, not to mention they could create more by extending Marcell and restructuring Williams. The only handcuff I can see for them is the lack of a 1st and lack of high profile FA QB's.

I think like many here they're shaping up to be a tough out next year. That and Rex is a PITA for our offense, like him or not. I'm in the I wish he was anywhere else but the AFCE camp. I'm not taking them for granted and I'm sure Bill won't.

L. Mcelvin (9gms), S. Gilmore and C. Graham. Not the best but nowhere near the worst. 9 picks and 29 PD'd between the 3. Searcy is a pretty good S as well.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE Rex. The Bills look like they could become our biggest Div. rival next year. Mia is no slouch either, just a little to bi-polar to be considered better than Buf. The Jets will Continue to Suck. And they owe us a pick for tampering and I'm not going to be quiet about that if The Emporer changes his spots in spite of previous rulings.

the jets defense was ranked 6th this year with Richardson and Wilkerson being the only real talent on that defense and much worst DB's then the bills and the bills were 3rd in the NFL in pass defense and had 19 INT's and also held Aaron Rodgers to 185 yards 0 TD's 2 INT's and under 50% comp per by far his worst game of the season so the bills got some DB's the only QB that had a great game vs the bills was Tom Brady and with Ryan as the HC that may change,

Ryan may not be a great HC but he is a great DC and that bills team has a nuff talent on defense to win 10 on there own and make the playoffs an once your in the playoffs anything can happen

the jets defense was ranked 6th this year with Richardson and Wilkerson being the only real talent on that defense and much worst DB's then the bills and the bills were 3rd in the NFL in pass defense and had 19 INT's and also held Aaron Rodgers to 185 yards 0 TD's 2 INT's and under 50% comp per by far his worst game of the season so the bills got some DB's the only QB that had a great game vs the bills was Tom Brady and with Ryan as the HC that may change,

Ryan may not be a great HC but he is a great DC and that bills team has a nuff talent on defense to win 10 on there own and make the playoffs an once your in the playoffs anything can happen

6th in yards allowed... 24th in points allowed, and tied for last in takeaways. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking the Jets had a real good defense this year just because they played us tough a couple times. Here are the point totals we've scored against the Jets under Rex:

12 games, 8 of which we scored 27 or more points, a 27.3 average. Rex is a decent defensive coach, but again, why should I care that he's in our division again? You know he's not going to give two flying craps about the offense. I'll take a team where I can score 27+ points against them when they have a mediocre at best offense.

6th in yards allowed... 24th in points allowed, and tied for last in takeaways. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking the Jets had a real good defense this year just because they played us tough a couple times. Here are the point totals we've scored against the Jets under Rex:

12 games, 8 of which we scored 27 or more points, a 27.3 average. Rex is a decent defensive coach, but again, why should I care that he's in our division again? You know he's not going to give two flying craps about the offense. I'll take a team where I can score 27+ points against them when they have a mediocre at best offense.

I agree they are not a big threat to take the east but they wont be a cake walk game anymore and the pats averaged over 30 a games in the years he was the jets HC so holding the pats to half there season average for 4 of does games is pretty good IMO

I agree they are not a big threat to take the east but they wont be a cake walk game anymore and the pats averaged over 30 a games in the years he was the jets HC so holding the pats to half there season average for 4 of does games is pretty good IMO

Except that's what an average is. It's not like they were scoring 30 points every game, then against the Jets the scores vary. They'd score 20 against one team, and 40 against another. Like I said, he held them below their average, that's to be credited. But Mangini gave us problems a few times too. Sparano and Philbin have given us problems in individual games. The Bills have played close games against us, no matter who the coach is. The common thread? Division games are always a little bit different because of the familiarity of the players and coaches. Bottom line, Rex isn't beating us as a much higher rate than the rest of the division over his tenure.

Last edited:
IF the Pats win the super bowl don't discount an opening night at home vs the Jills.
It would be Denver Indy or Pitt. Not sure which ones are home games.

All I could think of when I heard Rex's presser (only a small part) was, even he thinks the Jets are irrelevant! He doesn't care about playing them, only the Patriots. Pretty funny and something to look forward to next year. Now I'm going to get back to being excited for this year!

It would be Denver Indy or Pitt. Not sure which ones are home games.

Only the Steelers is a home game. I'll stick by their putting Rex's first game as the Bills HC but I can see it being the Steelers. The NFL has had the trendy perceived up and comers in the Past. Miami @ Pitt after one of their SBs, Raiders @ Pats as examples.

No
The biggest mistake one can commit is never learn from his past mistakes. Will this guy never learn?
No, he won't because in his mind he didn't make any.

Sorry to hear that your keyboard lost the period. Here are a few of mine.

I'm willing to bet Rex will lobby to play the opening game if the Patriots win the Superbowl.

I'm willing to bet Rex will lobby to play the opening game if the Patriots win the Superbowl.
He has no say or pull on that.

I see the Bills have named Dennis Thurman as DC. More importantly they've tagged Karl Dunbar as D-Line coach.

He's very VERY good.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back