PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch: Patriots vs Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments:

1.) I was in the stadium on Sunday and rewatched the game yesterday off the DVR.

2.) In the stadium: I noticed some interesting things like how the Texans were rolling guys over Gronk all the time (can't see that on TV), how the wind was really affecting kick offs and not giving Patterson a chance to return them, the poor angles our ST'ers were taking on PR/KR's, and why Watson was under pressure a lot (it was coverage & lack of Will Fuller more than the pass rush, IMO).

3.) On the DVR:

a.) I don't think Burkhead can carry the load. He is good in bursts here and there...but we need someone to replace Jeremy Hill. Hopefully, Michel is ready to go...this week's game will be a tough first start for him. I did not like how Burkhead fumbled the ball a bit late.

b.) The PI call on Gilmore (clutching Hopkins' jersey) was so-so.....I see why BB was angry now...Watson was a runner at that point.

c.) Riley McCarron had some poor blocking to go along with the muffed punt.

d.) Brady got hit harder than I thought....I don't like it one bit. On one hit...J.J. Watt basically blew by Cannon because Develin didn't help. It was a play action out of the I formation. J.J. Watt slid a bit to Cannon's inside shoulder pre-snap with us having a TE on Cannon's right. Then Develin runs towards Cannon's outside shoulder and Watt had a free shot at Brady...if Develin blocked Watt there...Brady likely finds Hogan for a long gain (Hogan was running across the field behind the LB'ers who got sucked into the PA fake) as Hogan was ahead of 8 guys...and Dorset was picking up one more DB at least by running up field. I think that would have been at least a 20-30 yard play with a little better blocking.

e.) Develin's dive on Hill's knee looked really bad to me.

f.) Develin bailing us out on 3rd down on the final drive was huge...that burned off another 40 secs or so....

g.) That safety sure looked like a safety...but Watson did throw it to the feet of a blocking TE....if Brady can get away with throwing at White's feet...I think that is OK....

h.) On the White TD pass...Honey Badger was telling #30 for Houston to cover white pre-snap...but the guy covered Dwayne Allen for a split second with Honey Badger over the top...then the TV showed Honey Badger pissed on the sidelines....

I'm still sad that play wasn't a safety. Ah well. We got the W at least.
Why exactly was that not a Safety? Who the heck was he throwing to? They call a Safety on Brady but not this guy?

Edit: ok I see the TE now, but I doubt that Watson even knew who he was. They got lucky.

Last edited:
Not sure you were the only one but I was referring to another thread that resulted in a long (and ultimately pointless) discussion about Flores being "more aggressive".

Either way winning your 1v1s is the way to win games not changing the attitude when it comes to playcalling.

Indeed, it was not just one lone person in the wilderness on this subject.

Why exactly was that not a Safety? Who the heck was he throwing to? They call a Safety on Brady but not this guy?

Watson threw it at the feet of #83, te and thus eligible receiver Jordan Thomas. He could've been called down due to forward progress, but he was preparing to throw and so tie goes to the... Qb.

The intentional grounding call on Brady, if were thinking of the same play, was because he was still inside the tackle box and threw it away with no receiver in the vicinity. Had he gone outside the tackle box and tossed it to the same spot, he'd have been ok.

Indeed, it was not just one lone person in the wilderness on this subject.
I wasn't one either side, thats my point. I was merely pointing out & the only one that w/e "scheme" we use will be bc of the players we have. Not bc Flores brought in this new design/scheme.

Maybe we can have this discussion in the "scheme (the one that gave 0 analysis as to why lol) " thread to keep this thread on point.

Showed all preseason that he is a sound edge setter, two-gapper, strong pocket pusher. Was able to mirror Flowers quite well in this game.

Does a nice job closing the pocket on the talked about Watson's non/safety..

It's way too early to say he can 2-gap. Honestly not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion just yet. Again I'm a fan & rooting for him but he had 3-5 good/+ plays last game.

Comments:

d.) Brady got hit harder than I thought....I don't like it one bit. On one hit...J.J. Watt basically blew by Cannon because Develin didn't help. It was a play action out of the I formation. J.J. Watt slid a bit to Cannon's inside shoulder pre-snap with us having a TE on Cannon's right. Then Develin runs towards Cannon's outside shoulder and Watt had a free shot at Brady...if Develin blocked Watt there...Brady likely finds Hogan for a long gain (Hogan was running across the field behind the LB'ers who got sucked into the PA fake) as Hogan was ahead of 8 guys...and Dorset was picking up one more DB at least by running up field. I think that would have been at least a 20-30 yard play with a little better blocking.

Someone posted a screenshot earlier in the thread that clearly shows that Watt was offsides. Not much Cannon can do about that.

EDIT: Found it

Rewatch: Patriots vs Texans

Would've liked to see 54 take the opportunity to go after Watson here.

I wasn't one either side, thats my point. I was merely pointing out & the only one that w/e "scheme" we use will be bc of the players we have. Not bc Flores brought in this new design/scheme.

You weren't the only one making that claim.

Looks to me like Dorsett screwed this one up a bit by overshooting his man initially and then being in an awkward position to block for the inside. Yes, there is a gap on the outside that a better RB might have seen but it's easier to tell from above in A22 than in the split second while in the middle of the action.

That's where I'd like to have Michel healthy.
Yea thats a huge hole waiting to be exploited. It wasn't the only time. Sony is our best RB when/if healthy imo.

You weren't the only one making that claim.
Dude you love to argue about anything & everything, we get it. This isn't the thread for that. There's a whole thread dedicated to "scheme lol" I'd love to see you pull up quotes of others saying it bc they don't exist. Again though do it in there. This is Houston/New England.

Looks to me like Dorsett screwed this one up a bit by overshooting his man initially and then being in an awkward position to block for the inside. Yes, there is a gap on the outside that a better RB might have seen but it's easier to tell from above in A22 than in the split second while in the middle of the action.
It was a huge hole, not a gap/crease. He makes a cut & has another 10-15 yards in front of him before the S comes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News