PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis Signs with NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have nothing against Revis and am extremely thankful to him for last season. I guess his comments during Deflategate did not necessarily ingratiate him to the board. But I never was too upset by what he said. Still not. But yeah, he has looked beatable this season. He has struggled with some of the young'uns in particular. Hey, he's getting up there in age and tread. Law had a few decent seasons in his twilight, but he had gained weight and had become somewhat a shell of himself by Kansas City, as well as the Broncos and Jets (again). It happens. He's still more than probably the best CB we've seen since Deion (with respect to Ty Law, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey) and a sure first ballot HOFer. And he will go down as one of the more shrewd, and appropriately rich, athletes to ever play football. Think about that. As much as it might frustrate some, the man played his hand about as well as any athlete I've ever seen, especially in football with these contracts that can be voided at any time. I got nothing against dude.

IMHO PB12 it should be Revis who is thankful for the opportunity that the Pats gave him last season, not the other way around. As well as he played it was this team that got him the SB ring and he was only a part of that. Too bad he couldn't join the team for the ring unveiling party though. I wonder what was at play there.

As for how he played his cards with his contracts, you are correct in the later part of his career. But his first contract with the Jets was a front loaded deal that he abandoned once he got his millions up front. I cannot respect any man who does that. That isn't shrewd, it's dishonest.

IMHO PB12 it should be Revis who is thankful for the opportunity that the Pats gave him last season, not the other way around. As well as he played it was this team that got him the SB ring and he was only a part of that. Too bad he couldn't join the team for the ring unveiling party though. I wonder what was at play there.

As for how he played his cards with his contracts, you are correct in the later part of his career. But his first contract with the Jets was a front loaded deal that he abandoned once he got his millions up front. I cannot respect any man who does that. That isn't shrewd, it's dishonest.
Respect 1960. I think your post in a way even augments mine to some degree. The whole is always greater than the sum of its parts. So yes, the team helped him, but he also damn sure helped the team. Go back and look at some of those game plans from last year and see how it was Revis that made them possible. We weren't capable of running the exotic sh*t we ran last season in 2009-2012. Remember those times? Remember 3rd downs then? Sorry, but I do. I'll gladly take a Revis any time over that.

As far as the dishonesty part. I agree. But the things these teams do to players when it's those guys out there risking life and limb, no matter the fact that they're choosing to play the sport, is dishonest as well. Football players play one of the most brutal sports, yet its the only of its kind where contracts can be voided at any time with a slap on the wrist cap hit to the team if the player gets significantly injured and, to top it off, can go after part of the monies said player earned while capable. Give me a break. Revis played the hand that his talent, other-worldly and the best of its era, demanded. I will always respect a football player for that.

Last edited:
anytime you get a chance to take a dump on a jet you take it.

There's a disturbance in The Force. Woody has to fire Todd Bowles as soon as possible and get somebody in there who screws up and acts like a clown in front of the cameras all year long. I miss the Jets Suck thread.

sure first ballot HOFer
I definitely see how the argument can be made, but I personally don't see him having the critical mass needed to get into the HoF. Too much switching teams, too much time lost due to injuries to have a HoF impact on the game. Maybe the NYJ lobby might push him over the top in a year where there aren't other great candidates, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Interesting point of view. Indeed both sides benefited from his time here.
I suppose, but it's not like teams/owners would return the favor, they use whatever leverage they have to get whatever deal they can get. Especially the Jets of that era.

One area Revis is at a HoF level is leveraging his great talent into great amounts of money. If there was a HoF for that, he'd be in on the first round, along with Larry Fitzgerald.

I definitely see how the argument can be made, but I personally don't see him having the critical mass needed to get into the HoF. Too much switching teams, too much time lost due to injuries to have a HoF impact on the game. Maybe the NYJ lobby might push him over the top in a year where there aren't other great candidates, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I suppose, but it's not like teams/owners would return the favor, they use whatever leverage they have to get whatever deal they can get. Especially the Jets of that era.

One area Revis is at a HoF level is leveraging his great talent into great amounts of money. If there was a HoF for that, he'd be in on the first round, along with Larry Fitzgerald.

I don't care much for any HOF. Maybe if the players voted I'd feel differently. Leaving those things up to the Ron Borges' of the world leaves me feeling skeptical about the choices.

Yes, we got a benefit from having Revis, but not as much as he got from playing for the Pats. It's not out of the question that we could have won the SB with another CB back there. Until we had so many injuries this year we were doing as well.

I agree that the owners have a better situation to deal with players, but that's as much on the NFLPA and the players as it is the owners. And the Revis situation with the Jets was different. He signed that deal and got paid a large bonus, then he complained about his paltry 1 mil in year 3 or 4, I forget which, and sat out. I simply cannot respect that tactic.

I also give him credit, after his initial contract, for having the confidence in his ability to go for one year contracts. It definitely made him more $$$ than he would have had by signing long term deals.

From 2008 to 2011 Revis shutdown every top WR in football and had one year where he was thrown at less than 20 times. His injury in 2012 and his recovery in 2013 were down years but he was great last year minus a handful of plays against GB.

If he can put together 2 to 3 more good to great years then memories of 2008 to 2011 will be all anyone needs to remember to put him in the HOF on first ballot.

Revis has a ways to go before he is first ballot material.

Ty Lay hasn't gotten in yet with 5 pro bowls and 53 int's.

Revis has 6 pro bowls but only 26 int's.

Last edited:
Law played bigger in big games too.

Law
13 playoff starts
6 int's
3 TD's

Revis
9 playoff starts
3 int's
0 TD's

Hope Law gets the recognition he deserves this year.

Last edited:
Law played bigger in big games too.

Law
13 playoff starts
6 int's
3 TD's

Revis
9 playoff starts
3 int's
0 TD's

Hope he gets the recognition he deserves this year.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy...but I feel like opposing QB's challenged Ty Law more, whereas Revis doesn't even get a look. That may also affect their #INT. Also, Law played in an era where DB's could manhandle WR...times have changed.

FYI - I don't really like Revis and have cooled on Law since he left NE. I went to a rival high school of Aliquippa, where these guys are legends.

Are the Jets still on the hook for some of Sanchez's contract?

Maybe my memory is fuzzy...but I feel like opposing QB's challenged Ty Law more, whereas Revis doesn't even get a look. That may also affect their #INT. Also, Law played in an era where DB's could manhandle WR...times have changed.

FYI - I don't really like Revis and have cooled on Law since he left NE. I went to a rival high school of Aliquippa, where these guys are legends.
Agreed. I spent a few minutes looking for numbers on targets but it's not easily found.

Last edited:
Eye test works best for these types

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk