PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resting Starters week 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BB has been inconsistently consistent :D

If he thinks his guys need the work, he plays them. If he thinks sitting the player as a precaution outweighs the need for getting some work in, he'll sit him.

Look at last year. The offense was a bit inconsistent at the end of the season. BB played TB12 the 1st 1/2.

In 2012 they played Gronk b/c he needed the work.

Every year is different.

Resting in week 7 + a bye means up to 20 days without playing a football game. Think it depends on how dinged up people are and who the coaches want to give more game time to .

But I always though the Colts ended up looking rusty when they did this in the mid 2000s after winning the illustrious regular season super bowl.

Peyton Manning teams always look rusty in the playoffs. That includes last season when he added another one and done to his portfolio, this time when he put up 13 points at home vs the vaunted Indy defense.

If the Pats don't need the game to improve their seeding then they'll rest a bunch of players. They did that last year and went on to win the SB. Hopefully, that will be the case again this year.

I'll think about this in two weeks, if needed. Too soon.

This sign used to be on the wall in my 8th grade science class...

[PLAN AHead]

Colts did it in 2009 too, instead of going for the perfect season. While they didn't end up winning due to a late game interception return by Porter, they obviously made it to the SB and competed at a high level.
luckly for us, tracy porter plays for the bears now and we arent the colts

If its locked up, I'd sit as many key pieces as I could. Brady gronk Edelman amendila and anyone who's questionable or worse. Any other year I let them maybe play a half.... This year sit down please.

luckly for us, tracy porter plays for the bears now and we arent the colts

Yeah, I'm just piggy backing off of your thought that resting starters in week 17 when you have a bye has shown benefits, even if the 2009 Colts blew it at the end of the game.

I think having Suh the psycho on the field should give the coaching staff a ton of pause. He is capable of doing just about anything out there.
and he'll be playing the last game of a bad season in which he has taken a lot of criticism, including for not earning all that money

If they have home field locked up, I'd sit them all and start the Dorito Dink and the guys who pick up the towels in the locker room. The game will mean nothing for any team's playoff prospects

So this scenario is in play if the team takes care of business this week. Still really hate that double bye. Especially with the way the offense has not been clicking.

It really depends on how injured the team is going into week 17.

I would say that the main argument for not resting guys week 17 is you don't want to come out with any rust in the playoffs PARTICULARLY if you get stuck playing the Steelers who are generally considered the 2nd best team in the AFC.

Personally I don't really mind resting most of the offensive skill players. Brady/Gronk/Edelman have been together long enough. White seems to get it enough and Amendola/Lafell should be fine as secondary options.

On defense it is still pretty young so i suppose i would play any parts that were healthy.

I was listening to a local Miami Dolphin radio program, they were talking about their C and LT being out next 2 games as well as 2 of their LB. They said 2 undrafted rookies would be playing LB. These guys have checked out. I believe the Pats D could beat these guys alone. Probably run it down their throats would do.

I know it's not popular but I would rest HT, Chung, Dola, and anyone else hurt against the Jets and walk all over the Phins. They are easy pickings and less of a chance for more injuries than with the Jets that are playing for their playoff hopes.

I was listening to a local Miami Dolphin radio program, they were talking about their C and LT being out next 2 games as well as 2 of their LB. They said 2 undrafted rookies would be playing LB. These guys have checked out. I believe the Pats D could beat these guys alone. Probably run it down their throats would do.

I know it's not popular but I would rest HT, Chung, Dola, and anyone else hurt against the Jets and walk all over the Phins. They are easy pickings and less of a chance for more injuries than with the Jets that are playing for their playoff hopes.

I guess I wouldn't mind that. Losing that Bills game last year really bothered me. I also think it didn't do them any favors in the divisional round. Came out a bit sloppy.

Right now the guys who need it should get it. And guys who can play but are nursing/healing from an injury should be used sparingly as the game situation plays out. Yes we want HFA but the alternate is a Bye that by itself packs a hell of a punch.

Beyond that -- assuming we beat the Jets -- healthy or nearly healthy starters play 2 series. After that get jackson and Iosefa (see I told everyone Bostic would eventually earn real playing time! :)) and a bunch of new guys/backups important, against first line competition reps. That can be an important asset to get newbys extended meaningful snaps (good film for them to look over during the Bye).

I would strongly consider resting starters vs the Jesters, and then playing them vs what should be an easier opponent in Miami.

I despise both franchises and wish that neither were in the POs, but at this point I think I would rather play NJ in the Divisional round at home than PitsDirt…I think…maybe...

I would strongly consider resting starters vs the Jesters, and then playing them vs what should be an easier opponent in Miami.

I despise both franchises and wish that neither were in the POs, but at this point I think I would rather play NJ in the Divisional round at home than PitsDirt…I think…maybe...

Oh, I'd much rather play the NYJ than Pittsburgh as well, but that ship sailed on Sunday when Denver blew a 27-10 lead.

The only way that Pittsburgh blows it now is if they somehow lose to a Ryan Mallet (or Jimmy Clausen) led Ravens team, or if Johnny Manziel somehow turns into 1980s era Joe Montana. Even then, the Jets would not only have to beat the Patriots, but they'd have to win their week 17 game as well.

Ultimately, the answer to this question is that we'll have to rest key players like Edelman, Amendola, Hightower, McCourty, etc this week--like it or not. Those players are injured, and shouldn't be playing in week 1, let alone week 16 this close to the postseason.

Hopefully, we can pull it off with a team effort from guys like LaFell, Martin, Gronk, etc. A strong defense and effective running game would solve all of the problems.

If they win it this week, then it becomes a no brainer for week 17. You'd probably play guys like Brady and Gronk for a quarter or two, and that's it.

It really depends on how injured the team is going into week 17.

I would say that the main argument for not resting guys week 17 is you don't want to come out with any rust in the playoffs PARTICULARLY if you get stuck playing the Steelers who are generally considered the 2nd best team in the AFC.

Personally I don't really mind resting most of the offensive skill players. Brady/Gronk/Edelman have been together long enough. White seems to get it enough and Amendola/Lafell should be fine as secondary options.

On defense it is still pretty young so i suppose i would play any parts that were healthy.
I think there's too much veteran leadership and high quality coaching at all levels on this team for there to be a legitimate worry about "rust" (unless someone is thinking of bringing him back as HC). If it were my decision I'd rest all the skill players on offense (especially with Suh on the field) and I would play others selectively, depending on where I thought there was a need to polish skills...but, "In BB I trust."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back