PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rereading the Pittsburgh postgame thread from last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke up with my girlfriend that morning and the Pats proceeded to take a steaming dump on my low morale that night.

While the defense was pretty good I thought we were toast after that game, especially if we didn’t get the first round bye. I don’t think there are many out there who saw the offense turning it on in the playoffs like they did (at least for the first two rounds).
Jeez, what a terrible day that must have been for you. Hopefully things are much better for you now.

They flipped a switch around Xmas time and never looked back. I don’t think many of us could have predicted such a drastic turnaround, particularly with Gordon leaving after the Pittsburgh game, which would also go on to become the last time they lost.

I believe I was in the “they’ll definitely win a playoff game, but going to the AFC title game and losing is probably their ceiling” crowd.
You’re right, but that switch was initially flipped against terrible AFCE teams so many of us were still doubting Thomases. It wasn’t until the SD game that I realized something really good was happpening.

You’re right, but that switch was initially flipped against terrible AFCE teams so many of us were still doubting Thomases. It wasn’t until the SD game that I realized something really good was happpening.
Absolutely. I remember thinking that LA/SD had a very good shot of pulling the upset off, and even after watching them dismantle the Chargers I was still hesitant to get too excited at the idea of going to KC, as I thought that going back to the AFC title game was their “ceiling,” so to speak. I didn’t expect them to win that game, especially on the road against that particular team.

In our defense, they hadn’t been playing too well and had just lost Gordon for the year, so I don’t think anyone should be too judgmental as to how the majority of the fan base handled it, aside from maybe a handful of posters who are normally on the pessimistic side.

I’m not really sure the OP wants us looking too closely at his posts in the Miami thread the week before. I believe the words “bad team” were used to describe the 2018 Patriots. What say you, @bormio?

I’m not really sure the OP wants us looking too closely at his posts in the Miami thread the week before. I believe the words “bad team” were used to describe the 2018 Patriots. What say you, @bormio?

Ha, a good point made by the most appropriate of usernames

Ha, a good point made by the most appropriate of usernames
I’m sure I can find more than that if I dig hard. That’s just what I can remember. In any event, the Patriots looked like a wild card team at most to that point in the season. People were right to crap on them. They backed into the #2 seed thankfully so that Brady could rest, the defense finally came together, and the run defense (which was very much in competition with 2002 for worst of the BB era) lucked out by playing three teams in a row whose star RBs were either released or injured. The rest is history.

As you said, there were not playing well. But I also said right after the Pittsburgh game that the team would win at least 2 playoff games. I never saw the issues as non-fixable particularly once the defense started to lock in. And I am pretty sure the quote came after that ghastly last play. A little sensitive, eh?

I think others have stated what I think. I'll just reiterate. The Patriots of 2018 looked pretty meh to bad in a lot of road games until the playoffs started. We didn't know what team would show up, as we've all seen the Patriots look bad in the playoffs in the past.

So hardcore Pats fans lose it over their team looking like sh*t against the Steelers.........I'm thinking they must have been angry and did not like the result

As you said, there were not playing well. But I also said right after the Pittsburgh game that the team would win at least 2 playoff games. I never saw the issues as non-fixable particularly once the defense started to lock in. And I am pretty sure the quote came after that ghastly last play. A little sensitive, eh?
Not at all. You’re talking to a guy that posted a thread roasting himself and inviting others to roast him for being wrong after the Super Bowl. It would be physically impossible for me to care less about being wrong on the internet.

And you sound like someone trying to cover their ass when you talk about these posts after the Pittsburgh game. A “bad team” doesn’t win playoff games. So either you were covering your ass or you’re someone prone to hysterics after a bad loss. Either way, that’s not exactly someone who should be looking down his nose at other people. Class is over. You’re dismissed.

I’m sure I can find more than that if I dig hard. That’s just what I can remember. In any event, the Patriots looked like a wild card team at most to that point in the season. People were right to crap on them. They backed into the #2 seed thankfully so that Brady could rest, the defense finally came together, and the run defense (which was very much in competition with 2002 for worst of the BB era) lucked out by playing three teams in a row whose star RBs were either released or injured. The rest is history.

I couldn’t agree more. The insinuation by some in this thread that people were fools for criticizing or doubting this team is crazy. Sure, they won and we are all grateful for it, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t deserve the doubt and criticism that was going around.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more. The insulation by some in this thread that people were fools for criticizing or doubting this team is crazy. Sure, they won and we are all grateful for it, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t deserve the doubt and criticism that was going around.
Most of it's pretty pathetic and undignified for Pats fans though, who are noted for their intelligence, beauty and humility.

Most of it's pretty pathetic and undignified for Pats fans though, who are noted for their intelligence, beauty and humility.
Since the majority of us have their beginnings in New England, you can probably eliminate “beauty” out of that list.

This post aged well knowing what we now know about Brady’s injury and the fact that he threw a beautiful touch pass to essentially seal the Super Bowl. Yikes.

Brady's cooked. It's not physical, it's mental. He's sailing passes, throwing off his back foot with nobody near him. He's got the sort of self-preservation that comes with getting old and a good quarterback can't have that. Does anyone feel confident with Brady with the ball in his hands with the game on the line the way we did last year or the year before?

It’s shocking that this thread is getting combative. Who would have (of) expected it??

It’s shocking that this thread is getting combative. Who would have (of) expected it??
I support your pacifism and passive aggressiveness.

This post aged well knowing what we now know about Brady’s injury and the fact that he threw a beautiful touch pass to essentially seal the Super Bowl. Yikes.
Yea that's pretty dumb... I understand Brady's INT against Pitt was ugly, but seriously, this is Tom Brady we're talking about..

Yeah, I’m not sure that the 60 year old man who posted the “in yo face” thread expected it.

Sometimes the other team wins ... some have angst with that.
Losses during the season are not all bad - they can be useful.
If your too amgry at losses ...
unhealthy even...consider knitting for stress relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes