PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Request: analysis of James Harrison impact versus Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Can someone explain Harrison's impact in the Tennessee game? In what ways did his presence change the Titans offense? (And, after Sunday, how will he likely be used in the AFCC based on the Titans game?)

Last edited:
I wasn’t focusing in on him or anything, but I noticed a sweet play where he had a guy draped on him and still shed the block to make a one armed tackle. There was also a play where he drew a holding call.

I’m sure others will provide more examples, but his physicality and experience allows us to seal the edge in a more effective manner. I’m curious to see how many snaps he received.

I wasn’t focusing in on him or anything, but I noticed a sweet play where he had a guy draped on him and still shed the block to make a one armed tackle. There was also a play where he drew a holding call.

I’m sure others will provide more examples, but his physicality and experience allows us to seal the edge in a more effective manner. I’m curious to see how many snaps he received.

IIRC, he got at least two tackles of Henry, while lined up on the left of the D-line. One was a one-armed tackle where he shed his blocker and just reached out and stopped Henry. The other was where Harrison slipped his man and wrapped up Henry.

Harrison seemed to be a force wherever he lined up.

We fall into the trap of looking for gaudy stats for pass rushers, while in reality it seems that there is a greater emphasis on keeping the edge.. and Derrick Henry's 12 carries for 28 yards may be where the impact was made, the Titans vaunted run offense was held in check..

They were keeping track of Harrisons snaps on twitter last night, and I think he was at about 50%... Harrison had 3 solo tackles.

I watched him for a few plays and seemed to do ok. Set the edge. Made Mariota move around a couple of times.

Seeing how Henrys longest gain was 4 yards and had a 2.3ypc in 12 carries it's safe to say he did his job.

Yeah he did. That "in 12 carries" stat is beautiful on both ends, numerator and denominator. You get Mariota forced to beat you w/his arm and "experience" and it ain't gonna happen. You get a big fast load of a back a few outside run lanes and you have problems. I don't think that Henry is Eric Freakin ****erson or anything, but he had the potential to hurt us bad if this D weren't for real.

Truly a suffocating performance by the D... they took away any run game, and started out denying the big play... then denying the intermediary and underneath stuff... and by the end of the game, basically declaring that it's a privilege, not a right, to drop back long enough to throw the ball - a privilege that the Pats were loath to grant.

And as is always the case, feels good, and has the potential to mean nothing in the next game or the game after.

Not being negative nelly or anything, just noting that championships are exciting to anticipate because they're not givens... although if you're looking for consistency in earning them, we're in a better position as a fanbase than any other football fanbase in history, for this kind of timeframe (and I don't care too much about the Packers running a power sweep to perfection for 3 or 4 years in a 12 team league, f'rinstance).

This team's done what it's done in the free agency/salary cap era. This philosophy took away the ability to outright buy the outcome and advantaged teams that looked at the world as it currently is, and maximized its advantages.

I. Freaking. Love. This. Team.

Okay, we're on to [your team here.] I'm not sure how much we'll hear next week about "Sacksonville" if the Jags win. In fact, if they do, screw Vegas, I'm taking out life insurance on Blake Bortles.*

* not that I wish any bodily harm to any NFL* athlete.

I kinda still want to see the team extend the guy for another year, pretty clear the tank is not empty

On one reception it looked like he ran 20 or so yards deep in assisting on a tackle and trying to strip the ball. Definitely not his coverage, but he was still trying to make something happen. He is fired up, and seems to have added an element to the defense.

I thought he played well. Even when he was running after Mariota, he ran hard and was even held. I think his ability to set the edge was really important and helped shut down the Titans run game. If Branch is back next week, this run D could get even a little better.

Such an amazing break not only to add this guy at this point for nothing, but to have him prove to be so misused by the team where he was a living legend. I understand watt and dupree are the guys in pitt, and tomlin is not half the coach bb is, but i just cant wrap my head around them not finding a way to get him on the field more.

I like Harrison a lot. Gives the Youngish front 7 a lot of experience and an old head to help them along. Which since he’s been here he has seemed to help them all. I’d like to see him here again next year for the experience if he still wants to play. The other thing is he is stupidly powerful, really like him.

Harrison has supplanted Chuck Norris. After the game last night he singlehandedly rescued five people from burning wreckage on Route 1 then returned to cater his teammates' after-party, mindful to include vegan selections for Tom Brady.

Harrison has supplanted Chuck Norris. After the game last night he singlehandedly rescued five people from burning wreckage on Route 1 then returned to cater his teammates' after-party, mindful to include vegan selections for Tom Brady.

He was also spotted playing Scrabble with Gronk's buddy, Goon.

All he had to do when he came here was fit in and make the most of his opportunities to contribute. He's done that. He can still set the edge, apply pressure and tackle.

he set the edge and created pressure on the QB. thats all you really can want considering setting the edge was our biggest issue in the run game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes