PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports/Speculation: Texans will pursue Caserio AGAIN after 2020 Draft/UPDATE - Rumor: He wants out

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be. He either intentionally presented it in such a way that it would get taken as a report for more visibility or he was just a dumbass and didn’t proofread it to make sure it didn’t come off that way. So, in other words, he’s either a fraud or he’s incompetent.

Or both.

He should be. He either intentionally presented it in such a way that it would get taken as a report for more visibility or he was just a dumbass and didn’t proofread it to make sure it didn’t come off that way. So, in other words, he’s either a fraud or he’s incompetent.
Eh, you're assuming the editors at the Globe aren't totally fine with this.

I think they are.

Ben Volin is lazy and it drives my nuts this slacker has kept his job for so long.

I'm actually OK with Volin developing a theory and voicing an opinion in public pertaining to Caserio's current mindset. Instincts and rumors typically what good journalists use to start a story. Their next step is to reach out to their network and ask confirming their theory. Once confirmed, they then ask their source if they can be on/off the record. If they say neither, then Volin floats out his theory as an op/ed (as opposed to a report). Reiss, Curren, Bedard and others are good at this. If the source wishes to remain off the record, then he says in his article, "team/league sources or league sources have confirmed that Caserio....bla bla"

He is such a lazy bastard. He can't bother to make some phone calls but instead he says, "I talk to people. I've been covering the team 6 years. Believe me. "

Christ he is clueless and we are stuck with his jackass covering the team.

I love how Reiss approaches his opinions. It's always clear throughout the article. "My sense is" is a typical term he uses and we also know that he has connections with the team.

Anyway I think Volin is simply someone's puppet. "Hey doofus, we're printing this article with your name on it. Be prepared to defend it" type of stuff.

I think they are.
No question they are ok with it. They've let this boob throw **** against the wall for 6 years.

I think they are.
Of course. Editors are salesmen now. Whatever generates dollars via direct sales or clicks. That doesn’t excuse Volin, though.

Of course. Editors are salesmen now. Whatever generates dollars via direct sales or clicks. That doesn’t excuse Volin, though.
It almost does though. Like, are we really supposed to be asking more of this guy, and to have professional standards, if his bosses are encouraging, if not directing him to do it?

Yes, it is a useful article in spelling out the dynamics as he sees them, although Bedard's naivety about how business operates comes through in red letters.

Well, it's more than how he sees it. Greg's article actually had sources contribute to it.

The pitch they are trying to sell for Volin is that his source was the agent for Caserio. That's fine as many have said ... keep an opinion piece as just that ... we get it.

Agree, there’s no excuse for Ben Volin and I double checked with Google.

You are right, and it is truly sad. It's been that way for a while now. It doesn't matter whether its true or not, if you get the "clicks" its a win.

Well, the thing is, virtually everything at the Globe is behind the paywall now. I'm not sure whether click baiting is really a thing. I'm not a subscriber, so I don't know for sure, but I don't -think- they have ads on the other side of the paywall,, and they've already got the subscriber's money.

The pitch they are trying to sell for Volin is that his source was the agent for Caserio. That's fine as many have said ... keep an opinion piece as just that ... we get it.

Then asshat Volin needs to put in the article, "League sources have informed me Caserio wishes to leave New England after the season.".

Hes the village idiot. He can't be taken seriously.

I'd still be skeptical as Volin has dug himself into a Mariana Trench-sized credibility hole he will never climb out of.

Now if Reiss, Shefter, Bedard, Curran or Howe wrote that I'd most certainly take pause.

I love how Reiss approaches his opinions. It's always clear throughout the article. "My sense is" is a typical term he uses and we also know that he has connections with the team.

Anyway I think Volin is simply someone's puppet. "Hey doofus, we're printing this article with your name on it. Be prepared to defend it" type of stuff.
Yea Reiss is pretty good at that. He throws something out there without compromising his sources or his own integrity and credibility.

I'm ok with gossip and rumors as long as they are couched as such.

Well, the thing is, virtually everything at the Globe is behind the paywall now. I'm not sure whether click baiting is really a thing. I'm not a subscriber, so I don't know for sure, but I don't -think- they have ads on the other side of the paywall,, and they've already got the subscriber's money.
It's the same thing though. The Globe is behind a paywall online or you need to pay money for the hard copy. But the moment Volin's article was published, people on the internet, radio, and TV starting talking about it. Which likely drove some people to the Globe's website to read it. And while most people saw a paywall and said screw it, some of them decided to sign up. They probably got more sign ups Monday than they had in the prior 60 days. From the Globe's perspective, it's a win.

It's the same thing though. The Globe is behind a paywall online or you need to pay money for the hard copy. But the moment Volin's article was published, people on the internet, radio, and TV starting talking about it. Which likely drove some people to the Globe's website to read it. And while most people saw a paywall and said screw it, some of them decided to sign up. They probably got more sign ups Monday than they had in the prior 60 days. From the Globe's perspective, it's a win.
I will never pay a single dime for a Boston Globe article. Reporting is shoddy.

Ben enjoys getting Patriot fans riled up.

Hard to imagine easterby cooking this up on his own. Pissed at him for going with the plan yes but I’d be more pissed at the Texan higher ups who I believe set this in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST