PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

We’ll know that the Patriots have completely lost their way if #46 is traded for a Hopkins, Cooks or Ramsey.

While they’re not the talentless collection some here see them as, they’re more than a player or two from competing for their next Lombardi trophy.

Let’s follow up two solid drafts with a third and extend the good players from the 2020 draft - Dugger, Onwenu, and Uche- and Hunter Henry.

Then, the Pats will have a $100 million of cap space going into the 2024 season to extend Jones, Barmore and Stevenson while adding pieces to put us over the top via trade or free agency sending Bill Belichick to retirement with not only the most wins record but a 9th SB win as well.

I also want no part of Hopkins for the 46th pick. He'll be a 31 year old WR by the time the season starts; it's a short sighted move which won't bring a Lombardi next year and will then set us back in the long term. I remember when everyone wanted to trade a 2nd for Julio Jones, who was at the same point of his career. We dodged a bullet there. You never know how close these guys are to the end, and at best we might get two years out of Hopkins. We need to invest in youth and start stacking drafts back to back.

I'm on board with trading the 46th pick for a young WR like Jeudy who can grow with Mac, or a day 3 draft pick for a veteran, but I can't get on board with this.

I also want no part of Hopkins for the 46th pick. He'll be a 31 year old WR by the time the season starts; it's a short sighted move which won't bring a Lombardi next year and will then set us back in the long term. I remember when everyone wanted to trade a 2nd for Julio Jones, who was at the same point of his career. We dodged a bullet there. You never know how close these guys are to the end, and at best we might get two years out of Hopkins. We need to invest in youth and start stacking drafts back to back.

I'm on board with trading the 46th pick for a young WR like Jeudy who can grow with Mac, or a day 3 draft pick for a veteran, but I can't get on board with this.
I don’t think there is any way that Hopkins and Jeudy cost the same price. Since it’s obvious to everyone that it’s better to have a younger player there is no way the trade market values them the same.

Beggars shouldn’t be choosers. Fans have been begging for a number one receiver for ages. Based on how the Patriots have operated I don’t think it’s realistic to hope for them to trade for the best possible option on the market.

Trading one second doesn’t prevent the team from investing in youth.

I don’t agree with the idea that making trades for veterans only make sense if they are the last piece for a contender. Team development isn’t linear, and although the media/fans act like they know exactly where teams are in their development path I just don’t believe that to be the case.

All things being equal I’d rather have Jeudy for the same draft compensation but there is no way all things are equal.

If we trade a 2nd rd pick for Hopkins, then Bills sanity has to be questioned. He’s old, expensive and injury prone. Bill used to make things happen at great value. This would not be one of those moves. Just a horrible move if that happened.

If we trade a 2nd rd pick for Hopkins, then Bills sanity has to be questioned. He’s old, expensive and injury prone. Bill used to make things happen at great value. This would not be one of those moves. Just a horrible move if that happened.
How is he injury prone?

I’m terms of expensive I believe that he would only cost the Pats $19.5 mm next year and $14 mm the year after in the current market that’s not very expensive.

Deandre Hopkins came off of suspension last year and had 86 targets 63 receptions 713 yards 3 TDs in 8 games. He went 1 rec on 10 targs in his last game with a third string QB. He had a 73% catch rate & 1,500 yard pace playing with Kyler Murray & Colt McCoy.

He’s a WR1 who’s game should age well as it isn’t based on speed. I don’t see why someone wouldn’t want him with Mac entering his third year.

There's always something bothering him.
He hasn’t missed many games due to injury over the course of his career though. If the nagging injuries don’t hurt his production or cause him to miss games then who cares?

We’ll know that the Patriots have completely lost their way if #46 is traded for a Hopkins, Cooks or Ramsey.

While they’re not the talentless collection some here see them as, they’re more than a player or two from competing for their next Lombardi trophy.

Let’s follow up two solid drafts with a third and extend the good players from the 2020 draft - Dugger, Onwenu, and Uche- and Hunter Henry.

Then, the Pats will have a $100 million of cap space going into the 2024 season to extend Jones, Barmore and Stevenson while adding pieces to put us over the top via trade or free agency sending Bill Belichick to retirement with not only the most wins record but a 9th SB win as well.
It is you who have lost your way if you think that a 2nd round pick is more valuable than Hopkins, Cooks or Ramsey.

Of course, if playoffs mean nothing that makes sense.

This would be really good news.

46 for Hop would be a fair trade and put us on the right track.

I've been advocating for a trade like this since Nov/Dec and I'd be pumped not giving up our 1st for Hop or Cooks.
Agree but truthfully I don't hold out much hope that BB will upgrade the wr position.
Just the opposite- they'll lose Meyers,which automatically makes them worse and replace him with...nobody.
O'Brien alone will improve the offense. I think they'll upgrade the ol. Thornton will be a little better but I worry about his skinniness. They might draft a wr but not in the 1st 2 rounds. So willl the offense be better? Well yeah, just by getting a real OC to replace Laurel & Hardy. But not as good as it could be. They still need a decent wr.

I'm not 100% sure Hopkins is the right guy, but I'll say this about 2nd round picks: 50% of them NFL-wide don't hit, and of the ones that do, many don't produce immediately. Take Uche for example. That's a double digit sack guy, which is a win by 2nd round standards no doubt. But it took until year three for that to happen. So chances are really good they get two solid years out of him and then he prices himself right out of a second contract in FA. So if Hopkins is good, and will be good for at least two years, I think the 46th pick is worth that. If they can get him for less (maybe Patriots get a 3rd or 4th back with him as well) due to age, etc, even better. I don't think this team is as far away from contention as people think IF Mac Jones can be the guy. And if he's not, both Hopkins or that 46th pick are likely to be gone before the next kick at the franchise QB can is ready to step in.

How is he injury prone?

I’m terms of expensive I believe that he would only cost the Pats $19.5 mm next year and $14 mm the year after in the current market that’s not very expensive.
My mistake. I forgot that he missed the time earlier in the season due to suspension. I just remembered him missing time earlier in the year and then missing the last few games. He also missed a month or so the year before right? I thought I remembered his legs starting to bother him? Don’t get me wrong, I like Hop a lot. He’s smooth, and I’d be all over this if we were just 1 or 2 players away. We’re not. Maybe my outlook on the roster is worse than others, but we have a lot of holes. Bring Hopkins on is gonna do what? Why not just resign Meyers? He’d make less than Hopkins, and you wouldn’t be giving up any draft picks. That’s me assuming if we traded for Hopkins, they’d let Jacobi walk. His production hasn’t been drastically different from Hopkins. Would Hopkins stats here be better? Sure, but how much? Just seems like a flashy move to get positive talk going and not much else.

My mistake. I forgot that he missed the time earlier in the season due to suspension. I just remembered him missing time earlier in the year and then missing the last few games. He also missed a month or so the year before right? I thought I remembered his legs starting to bother him? Don’t get me wrong, I like Hop a lot. He’s smooth, and I’d be all over this if we were just 1 or 2 players away. We’re not. Maybe my outlook on the roster is worse than others, but we have a lot of holes. Bring Hopkins on is gonna do what? Why not just resign Meyers? He’d make less than Hopkins, and you wouldn’t be giving up any draft picks. That’s me assuming if we traded for Hopkins, they’d let Jacobi walk. His production hasn’t been drastically different from Hopkins. Would Hopkins stats here be better? Sure, but how much? Just seems like a flashy move to get positive talk going and not much else.
For me the reason I’d pay the 2nd, let Meyers walk and pay Hopkins is positional. Hopkins is a traditional x (outside receiver) that can get off jams and make contested catches on the outside. Meyers is more of a big slot who runs great routes but doesn’t deal with jams as well. Essentially I think Hopkins is a guy who a team has to game plan for and Meyers is a good complimentary piece.

I think we can replace Meyers with a smaller slot receiver or two in the draft in rounds 3-4, where I don’t think an X receiver like Hopkins exists in this draft.

I get your drift but Ramsey and Cooks won't cost us a 2nd or at least t I don't think a Second for the older Hopkins is just foolish.

Last edited:
If a trade is about to go down, I'm sure there will be a conference call or meeting with BB/O'Brien and Hopkins to see if there's still any bad blood.

He hasn’t missed many games due to injury over the course of his career though. If the nagging injuries don’t hurt his production or cause him to miss games then who cares?
It's not trending in the right direction. That doesn't even include the 6 game suspension for the PEDs (seem like I'm one of the few around here who cares about this sort of thing).

I hope we are not in the business of parting ways with a Second Rounder in this Draft for De Hopkins.

I think Hopkins is a nice player but at his age and inability to separate (speed has never been his game) I do not see him being the true #1 outside receiver that some do, especially now on the wrong side of 30.

5 years ago would have been great. He's not worth a 2nd rounder, now, let alone a second rounder PLUS a player.

I think Hopkins is a nice player but at his age and inability to separate (speed has never been his game) I do not see him being the true #1 outside receiver that some do, especially now on the wrong side of 30.

5 years ago would have been great. He's not worth a 2nd rounder, now, let alone a second rounder PLUS a player.
He was a number one receiver when he played last year

"From Week 7 through when quarterback Kyler Murray suffered a season-ending injury against the Patriots in Week 15, Hopkins ranked fourth in the NFL in receiving yards (713 in those eight games) and second in receptions (63)."

from the Athletic today.

To put that in perspective he had 91 less yards than the Patriots receiving yardage leader (for the entire season) last year in just 7 games.

He was a number one receiver when he played last year

"From Week 7 through when quarterback Kyler Murray suffered a season-ending injury against the Patriots in Week 15, Hopkins ranked fourth in the NFL in receiving yards (713 in those eight games) and second in receptions (63)."

from the Athletic today.

To put that in perspective he had 91 less yards than the Patriots receiving yardage leader (for the entire season) last year in just 7 games.
I hope the people who overrate Meyers see's that fact but they'll probably act like they don't. :cool:
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back