PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

$3m net?

moustache goodbye GIF
No lol. Not how it works. The cap space gained is beyond the dead cap. They would gain a true $14M cap space.

No lol. Not how it works. The cap space gained is beyond the dead cap. They would gain a true $14M cap space.
I guess I misunderstood your post. $17m to pay in dead if they launch both but a net gain in $14m in savings?

I hope they draft two TEs and trade Henry /Jonnu so that we can develop either of those . The more I think about it the lost 2022 season makes 2023 experimental or another team building year to get back to normal .

We shouldn't be having average players on 10 million plus deals and we had 5 ( 2 TE +2 OT + WR) last year and this year possibly 2 TEs+ OL on offense. Every team has those types of contracts , but those with elite QBs and elite players make up for these misses. We just had Judon make up for them from FA . On the rookies, Dugger, Onwenu , Uche, Rham the arrow is pointing up . I hope they sign extensions for onwenu, uche and dugger this year before the market skyrockets for them .

Need to make sure we get at least 8-9 rookies playing time this year ( punter + kicker included).

I guess I misunderstood your post. $17m to pay in dead if they launch both but a net gain in $14m in savings?
If they keep Jonnu, they carry a cap hit of $17M in 2023. If they trade him, the dead cap hit is $12M and the cap space gained is a little over $4M.

If they keep Hunter, they carry a cap hit of $15M in 2023. If they cut or trade him, the dead cap hit is $5M and the cap space gained is $10M.

Pats should sign Darius Slayton, he’s a free agent. The Giants have to pay their QB, Saquon and their cap situation will be tight.

Pats should sign Darius Slayton, he’s a free agent. The Giants have to pay their QB, Saquon and their cap situation will be tight.
I have been saying that Slayton is just as consistent as Meyers on a slightly better Team. Slayton would be Meyers here hope he doesn't have a grudge against Judge.

If they keep Jonnu, they carry a cap hit of $17M in 2023. If they trade him, the dead cap hit is $12M and the cap space gained is a little over $4M.

If they keep Hunter, they carry a cap hit of $15M in 2023. If they cut or trade him, the dead cap hit is $5M and the cap space gained is $10M.
That is one reason why I would move Henry...Jonnu is impossible to move. IF Henry saves us $10 Mill I would Draft TE Darnell Washington @ 14 feature Jonnu Smith let him earn that money they are paying him. This is a good Draft for TEs we could double dip there.

I hope they draft two TEs and trade Henry /Jonnu so that we can develop either of those . The more I think about it the lost 2022 season makes 2023 experimental or another team building year to get back to normal .

We shouldn't be having average players on 10 million plus deals and we had 5 ( 2 TE +2 OT + WR) last year and this year possibly 2 TEs+ OL on offense. Every team has those types of contracts , but those with elite QBs and elite players make up for these misses. We just had Judon make up for them from FA . On the rookies, Dugger, Onwenu , Uche, Rham the arrow is pointing up . I hope they sign extensions for onwenu, uche and dugger this year before the market skyrockets for them .

Need to make sure we get at least 8-9 rookies playing time this year ( punter + kicker included).
Wishful thinking no GM in their right minds would Trade for Jonnu Smith his numbers are horrific based on current contract he's our problem.

But Mac isn't clutch.

Imploded against Baltimore and Buffalo (wk 18), wasn't clutch against Minnesota and Las Vegas, and didn't close out against NYJ and Pitt.

Kenny Pickett had more game winning drives in the last 3 weeks of the year than Mac Jones has had in his whole career.

And Mac probably isn't ever going to be as clinical as Brady was. That's tough bar to clear

Mac Imploded against Baltimore and week 18 against Buffalo? Wasn't clutch against Minn and Vegas? Didn't close out the NYJ or Pitt?

Why don't you blame Mac for all the Offensive woes entirely and absolve Patricia and Judge while you're at it. Absolve Agholor and Parker for the Ints that they handed to other teams.

Mac wasn't in many situations in 2021 where he needed to be "clutch".

Not sure how you are blaming Mac for loss in Las Vegas.
Pretty sure it was the defense that blew it in Minnesota.
They won the games against Pitt and the Jets. Not sure how you say Mac "didn't close out".

Wishful thinking no GM in their right minds would Trade for Jonnu Smith his numbers are horrific based on current contract he's our problem.

Any GM in their right mind looks at Smith and knows that the offense was the issue for Smith more than it was Smith himself.

Only problem there is just general TE scarcity around the league. There are only like 5 or 6 guys in the league that you could say are top shelf elite (your Kelce's, Andrews, Gronk when he played, etc). Then there's a HUGE middle class of guys that year to year will fluctuate and aren't that much different from one another. Henry is in that category IMO. So you're likely not upgrading the position with a rookie, even if you have a relative hit in the draft. And worst case you've moved Henry and drafted another Asiasi/Keane duo, now you have nothing.

Any GM in their right mind looks at Smith and knows that the offense was the issue for Smith more than it was Smith himself.
Absolute BS he was only 50 yards better with a Real OC McDaniels and a real Offense in Mac's Rookie year. Your argument is flawed Smith has stunk but we are stuck with him.

Last edited:
Wouldn't give him the time of day. :rolleyes:

I think focusing on WR would be the wrong move. When you've got elite talent at QB - a guy who is clutch and has shown the ability to elevate the play of skill players around him - you are far better off focusing on OL. In particular, OT, which is a position of need.

Get an elite OL around MJ, and with BOB as his OC, we are mostly set on offense.

Hurts over Mac Jones? Easily.
sure, right now. But last year there was debate over whether Philly should keep Hurts or not. He looked pretty awful at times. This years philly team was loaded and well-coached, and Hurts was awesome. I'm not sure he is all that different from last year, but in a better circumstance ... let's hope it's the same for Mac.

I think focusing on WR would be the wrong move. When you've got elite talent at QB - a guy who is clutch and has shown the ability to elevate the play of skill players around him - you are far better off focusing on OL. In particular, OT, which is a position of need.

Get an elite OL around MJ, and with BOB as his OC, we are mostly set on offense.
Mac isn't elite. And guys like Allen didn't become elite until they got Diggs or Burrow getting Chase. Even Mahomes spent most of his career with a combo of Hill and Kelce. Even Tua looked good with Hill.

We need weapons. It's been an issue too long.

sure, right now. But last year there was debate over whether Philly should keep Hurts or not. He looked pretty awful at times. This years philly team was loaded and well-coached, and Hurts was awesome. I'm not sure he is all that different from last year, but in a better circumstance ... let's hope it's the same for Mac.
Hurts wasn't that bad last year at all for his first full season starting. He took full advantage of circumstance but he wasn't bad last year.

Mac isn't elite. And guys like Allen didn't become elite until they got Diggs or Burrow getting Chase. Even Mahomes spent most of his career with a combo of Hill and Kelce. Even Tua looked good with Hill.

We need weapons. It's been an issue too long.
He's a decent troll. Can't take him serious.

But yes we need at least one real WR/TE1 on this team.

Supposedly LVR were shopping Waller. I wonder what the weather is with him. Hunter's ball security might be an issue with Bill but Waller is a game changer at TE when used correctly. That would be quite the swap, no matter how we did it. I doubt they'd take on either of our guys but there's different paths to get to the same place.

If we could get rid of ours. Get Waller and Higgins our offense would look a lot different.

Hopefully the "weaponz" police don't pull me over.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back