PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

Are there anyabove average / good OTs available in FA. If yes, Sign them and then draft the best WR / TE at 14 .

The Bengals can get a high draft pick for Higgins this year. If they don’t trade him this year, odds are he is gone next year and they will get a 2025 third round comp pick.
They'll tag him.
The Broncos didn’t bring in a franchise QB. They brought in a washed up QB and paid him like an elite franchise QB. Now they have to rebuild with his albatross of a contract and without four first two day picks to do so.
You think they already gave up on the QB? Lol
Allen is two months older than Hopkins. Why is Hopkins a maybe and Allen a no go? Both are still 30 and will turn 31 during the offseason.
Because Hopkins is a beast and Allen has been injured.

I actually think that Brandin Cooks is the most likely target. He wants out of Houston, it won’t cost them more than a mid round pick, and he liked playing for Belichick, And even though he’s been in the NFL for many years he’s still not 30.

Are there anyabove average / good OTs available in FA. If yes, Sign them and then draft the best WR / TE at 14 .
Yea there’s a couple good tackles in free agency. But I’d still like them to take a T at 14 as well, if not T, corner is more of a need than WR.

I think it is a mistake to put too much emphasis on acquiring receivers. The present group didn't get any more legit an evaluation than Mac did in the dismal freak show that was the Pats' coaching staff on offense this past season. I would use the early draft picks to shore up the O-line, then pick best available thereafter among wideouts, tall corners, LB/Safety hybrids, whatever. If you find either a decent vet wideout or cover corner at a reasonable price in trade/free agents...fine, but first things first.

Last edited:
I actually think that Brandin Cooks is the most likely target. He wants out of Houston, it won’t cost them more than a mid round pick, and he liked playing for Belichick, And even though he’s been in the NFL for many years he’s still not 30.
Who’s going to blink first to make a trade happen? A team agreeing to pay Cooks $18.5M ($18M fully guaranteed), Cooks taking a pay cut (money than he’s otherwise guaranteed), or the Texans paying some of that $18M before trading him?

There are no WR's worth trading for that a team would realistically want to trade.

Regarding Tee Higgins, this is a type of move Burrow puts his foot down and says "Higgins is off limits".
The Pat's dont have a problem with options on where the ball should be landing. The Pat's problem is the origins of the ball on its journey through the air.

Who’s going to blink first to make a trade happen? A team agreeing to pay Cooks $18.5M ($18M fully guaranteed), Cooks taking a pay cut (money than he’s otherwise guaranteed), or the Texans paying some of that $18M before trading him?
I don't know if Cooks is the right guy. I mean I liked him when he was here but it was awhile ago. More to my point though I'm all for using extra cash to buy a player like this if it saves some draft capital. Using AJ Brown as an example they gave up a top 20 pick and something else I think a 4th for the right to also pay him. If we can take a bloated salary off someone else and save our 14 that would be worth it. I don't think Hopkins or Cooks are getting a first anyway but I don't know who else could fall into that category.

Belicheck will select an undersized center with short arms but quick feet from the mid-American conference..and then select a WR with 4.6 speed questionable hands and slow feet because he's a good college in-line blocker...later on he'll select a Heath Irwin clone from Colorado and declare the O line is completely fixed. Throw in a kicker, a couple of late round undersized corners and a long snapper from Navy and there you have it folks...Patriots draft haul 2023...

I keep seeing this as the most likely outcome as well.

I'm not convinced a 30+ year old receiver is the way to go. I'm not really in on Hopkins, Evans or Allen. I don't know what they would cost but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd or 4th at that age and contract.

Bengals aren't going to give up Higgins when they are chasing a SB. Jeudy is possibly available but the Broncos are going to want a 1st rounder. Not sure I want to give up 14 for him - if there was a deal for 47 plus something then I can get behind it. Davis, Boyd, Anderson aren't really upgrades over what we have.

Jeudy is the sort of player we need. Excellent route runner who can get open quickly in the short to intermediate. I know its a cliche but we need to eventually find a WR through the draft - that's where these teams find these players for the most part.

They need speed. It's ann admission of guilt when you need to insert Marcus Jones because your regular guys cant get routine separation

Any love for Brandon Aiyuk?? He may be expendable as the 49ers need to make decisions about their wealth of talent they have up for contracts over the next few years. Young and reliable often overshadowed by Samuels.. $3.9Million cap hit in '23 and 5th year option of $13.9M then extend him. Projected cost 2nd round draft pick to 48'ers.

Just wrote in another thread that Keenan Allen is one of my favorites. Tee Higgins and Jerry Jeudy, youngsters are okay. Rest are long in the tooth.

Knowing them they will probably choose one of the long in the tooth often injured guys. I would prefer one of the younger guys if Hopkins is not an option.

The Bengals can get a high draft pick for Higgins this year. If they don’t trade him this year, odds are he is gone next year and they will get a 2025 third round comp pick.

The Broncos didn’t bring in a franchise QB. They brought in a washed up QB and paid him like an elite franchise QB. Now they have to rebuild with his albatross of a contract and without four first two day picks to do so.

Allen is two months older than Hopkins. Why is Hopkins a maybe and Allen a no go? Both are still 30 and will turn 31 during the offseason.

Allen is often injured we Drafted discount double catch Aaron Dropson instead the year Keenan Allen came out. I think Allen is entering the end of his career no thanks.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back