PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Season-ending torn Achilles for Wilfork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heart goes out to big Vince first and foremost, I love that man.

He will be missed!

Hope he gets into surgery today and quickly back into rehab for his own sake, and as a side benefit for our sake too!

He is a classy guy who is hopefully a fast healer!

This sucks. Next man up I guess.

I think the Pats can survive the loss of Wilfork as long as the secondary plays like it has, but the Pats desperately need another guy who can play significant playing time at DT. Tommy Kelly will be burnt out by week 8 if he has to play as much as he did last night.

Seymour isn't a realistic signing. I think he can get over his hatred of Belichick, but he will not get over not being paid. He wants to be paid like a top DT and if he didn't, he would be on someone's roster right now.

Kyle Love is a possibility. There is bad blood there, but Love would rather play in the NFL rather than not play at all. Coming here may be his best shot at rehabbing his career. Granted we don't know how his diabetes has affected him.

Armstead will be back in two weeks. Who knows what condition he is in. He has never played in the NFL, but he does have professional football experience. The lack of a training camp and preseason will require for him to have at least several weeks to get ready. He might be a good option week 10 or 11.

Is this confirmed ?

Have to disagree with you. First of all, Vince was completely ineffective this year and the Pats defense is the best its been in years. So, I think that destroys your theory. Second, VW is not a great pass rusher. Third, REal QB's like Peyton get the ball out before the rush can be effective, so coverage players are absolutely essential. Fourth, compare the $ a shut down corner gets with the $ a run-stuffing DT gets. Here's a hint, the little guys get at least twice as much. In other words, you're way off.

A good QB for the most part is only as good as the amount of time and protection he gets from his O-line.

BTW, I wish a speedy recovery to Big Vince. Hopefully, this isn't a career ender for him. I want to see the big guy back in camp next August ready to go and try to help the Pats win back to back Super Bowl Championships and retire with another ring.:D

Re: Re: Report: Season-ending torn Achilles for Wilfork

Can anyone on the roster really slide over/in to the possition? Would the Patriots have to change things up or sign someone to start?

I don't think anyone short of Ngata would allow us to do the things that Wilfork permitted in terms of scheme and vesatility.

Vellano did have 1 of the Pats 2 sacks of Matt Ryan. You guys need to take a deep breath and step back and see what happens. Vince went out in the 1st quarter and we still won. The last 10 points we gave up were cause of a Brady fumble which turned the ball over on downs and a recovered onside kick so the Falcons had a short field for both those scores.

Atlanta didn't score on the Brady 4th down turnover on downs.

While the speculation that he may never play here again makes sense on some level, let's wait to see before rushing to any conclusions.

This injury happened early on in the season, so there's a good chance that he may end up being just fine by the time next summer rolls around.

If any one player is going to give every ounce of dedication and strong rehab to their team, it's going to be Vince Wilfork. The man reeks of team leadership, pride, and ability to draw attention no matter what.

Too many people getting ahead of themselves here. By tomorrow 90% of the forum will be talking about how he'll never see another down here. That isn't likely to be the case. There are plenty of things that can be worked out between now and then, and he does have an excellent medical staff behind him.

You were doing fine until the second part of the final sentence.

Well, if you had to pick one guy you didn't want the Pats to lose, it would have been Brady.

Wilfork would have been two, I think.

Nothing worse than fans crying about injuries, but damn if Pats' fans don't deserve to a bit. I won't recap the shoulda/woulda/couldas here, but injuries have taken at least one trophy off the shelf around here. And when we FINALLY see signs this defense could be something--coupled with hugely promising indicators on the offensive side--it just truly does suck this had to happen.

are you wondering like I am that this was a problem from the start of the season? Ducasse moved him around like a stuffed toy last week...and Ducasse was obliterated this week by a nobody. If true, then it's best it happened now so they can get some big bodies in for a tryout.

Next question...what veteran DT's are available?

If they were running Wilfork out there with an injury that had a possibility to lead to structural damage I would be beside myself with anger, disappointment, confusion and concern for this medical staff and coaching staff for that matter.

I came in discuss last night's game and find this horrible news. I feel like someone has urinated in my cereal or punched me with a pair of brass knuckles.

Hoping for a speedy recovery big Vince.

Horrible news :(

I really can't help but fear the worst for a guy his age/size with an injury like that too, just sickening! Really hope he can overcome it and be back next season back to his old self.

Options now at DT:
FA:
Richard Seymour
Antonio Garay

Trade option:
Phil Taylor - if the asking price is reasonable see if they will throw in Alex Mack too because Wendell is horrible.

Armond Armstead should be back this season but he isn't the big NT type.

Obviously bad news but we will find a way, it's still very early in the season. The next few weeks might be ugly but good to have it happen earlier than later so there is time to adjust to something like this.

Adversity seems to be the theme this year. Welker, Hernandez, and now Wilfork gone. Really seems like we haven't had the real Vince anyways this season. Yet we are 4-0.

are you wondering like I am that this was a problem from the start of the season? Ducasse moved him around like a stuffed toy last week...and Ducasse was obliterated this week by a nobody. If true, then it's best it happened now so they can get some big bodies in for a tryout.

Richard Seymour?

How do we replace an irreplaceable guy?

I would like to add to my previous post that I completely share your curiosity, he has looked hindered during the season and just the way the injury occurred has to make you.

Vince is a big man but he is also a well conditioned man and honestly I can't remember a time when the medical staff had to come assist him on the field, which when you think of all the snaps and pile ups he has been involved in over the years its tough for me to believe he would tear his Achilles on that play without some type of preexisting condition in place.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 7m
Been told there is no chance if a 2013 return for Vince Wilfork from the Achilles tear @shalisemyoung first reported in the wee hours.

I need more coffee.

I think even an injury of some kind on the OTHER leg would have made this more likely to happen, if he was trying to compensate for it.

(I had something like that happen when I was 17 years old, and it's been one of my prime sports-medicine theories ever since.)

Horrible news :(

I really can't help but fear the worst for a guy his age/size with an injury like that too, just sickening! Really hope he can overcome it and be back next season back to his old self.

Options now at DT:
FA:
Richard Seymour
Antonio Garay

Trade option:
Phil Taylor - if the asking price is reasonable see if they will throw in Alex Mack too because Wendell is horrible.

Armond Armstead should be back this season but he isn't the big NT type.

I think after back to back wins, Hoyer emerging as a viable QB, and a weak AFC North; the Browns' selling spree has been put on hold. At this point, the Browns have a legitimate shot to win the division. I think the Browns won't part with Taylor now.

If the Pats are looking for a trade, they need to look at the 0-4 teams.

Too bad the Dolphins signed Marvin Austin last week. Maybe the will cut him after the game tonight and he is just an one game rental. He is a massive underachiever, but if the Pats can get him to play to his potential he can be a great replacement. Odds are the Dolphins try to keep him on the roster knowing the Pats would try to pick him up.

I would rather have lost the game than Wilfork. This freaking sucks he is such a great guy, great player, great leader. Godspeed, get well soon you beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents