PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Season-ending torn Achilles for Wilfork

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very rare to replace a Wolfolk.

I see Pats (eventually down the road) going to a lighter 4-3 set, jmho.

...excuse my ignorance but, is it official? I haven't seen anything stating Wilfork to IR ? Do we know for a fact he's out for the season ? I know, i know, it's a severe injury and he's probably out for the season but ... is there a 0.1% probability he's not?

The Pats have made nothing official, yet. However, we have a tweet by Bianca thanking god for a successful surgery and Wilfork in a cast giving a thumbs up and smiling.

So, is there a possibility? Sure. Up until it's officially announced that he's on the IR..

One of Spikes biggest strengths is shedding blockers and stuffing the run so putting him at DE would solidify the run defense (IMO) because you don't need to take him off the field on passing downs anymore.

As I see it, Spikes' ability against the run comes more from his adeptness at shooting gaps than shedding blocks, although he is capable of both. Still, stacking and shedding a fullback or a center is a whole lot different than going up against tackles at the line of scrimmage on every play.

Another advantage of putting him down at DE is when he jumps the snap he will have half a step on the OT so may provide some pass rush too - in fact, Florida used him at RDE on some passing downs.

The biggest benefit of Spikes' ability so time snap counts right now is that he can get through interior gaps unblocked and basically crash into the backfield and blow up the play as it starts. This is in large part because he's able to get a 5+ yard running head start when doing this. I also worry that he was able to do this in large part because of the attention that Wilfork required anyways. I don't see how that translates to playing from a 3 point stance, lined up directly across from a tackle. If they're going to move any of their LBs to DE in a situational role, I'd rather it be Hightower, since he has the size and the experience to make a bigger contribution there.

Granted, I could be way off. I didn't like the idea of Ninkovich as an every-down DE either. But the last thing I want out of a DE is someone who is both undersized and lacks the agility and pass rushing moves to consistently pressure the QB.

The problem is that previous times of "trial by fire" have resulted in the Pats not making the play-offs. 2002 comes to mind when they were without a true NT.

They may go with Francis, Forston, Jones and Vellano, but the think that someone like Hampton/Pouha bring is veteran leadership. That's something that can't be replaced.

I think the Pats will first try to use the current bunch and see how it goes. If the run defense blows up or shows significant weakness, should the Pats burn a high draft pick on a DT from a team thats never going to make the post season?

In 03, Ted Washington changed the whole defense.

Wilfork released a classy statement thanking fans for their support and saying no one needs to feel sorry for him.

Wilfork said he is thankful to have the support of his fans and his wife, Bianca, and that he expects to make a full recovery:
“I just want to thank everyone for your support and encouragement,” Wilfork wrote. “Bianca is making sure I see all of the comments I wish I could respond to everyone. But please know your words are heard. One thing I know is I signed up to play football. I don’t regret anything that has happened and there is no need to feel sorry about it. I’ve been blessed to only have had one surgery prior to today and that was in high school. I know what signing up to play football means and I know the rewards and risks. This is my job and I will switch positions for now and play the role of patient but that is only temporary. I have so much confidence in our team and know that they will do great and I will be right besides them, maybe not in uniform but in all other ways. Thanks again.”
Vince Wilfork on injury: I signed up for football and knew the risks | ProFootballTalk

He'll be missed greatly this season. The stats and his impact on team morale don't lie. There's a huge chasm that needs to be filled some way somehow.

Get well soon, big guy.

Very interested to see if Spikes is part of the solution. Can imagine us going to a funky 3-4 look that has him crash down through a different gap every down.

Any news on Vince heading to IR? I think there may be a possibility he comes back this year.

Any news on Vince heading to IR? I think there may be a possibility he comes back this year.

The only reason he isn't on IR yet is that the Pats haven't had a corresponding roster move to make.

Now that they've signed Collie, they might make that move today.

Very interested to see if Spikes is part of the solution. Can imagine us going to a funky 3-4 look that has him crash down through a different gap every down.

At the minimum, it would be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back