PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mac was reaching out to other coaches about his frustrations with the offense

This was the first time I was concerned with him. I know it was just his 3rd game but you're a 1st round QB for the New England F*cking Patriots. There's no crying in football.

View attachment 49025
Yeah this is weird looking back on it. I gave him a free pass back then since he was a rookie and I figured it was just because he cared, but taking in all of the situations that have come up since then it's pretty strange... I remember Bill seeming to not be very pleased about it.

Thoughts:

1.) Who did Mac call exactly? Another NFL coach like McD? Saban, his college coach? A throwing coach like Tom House? His Pop Warner coach?

2.) What was the context of the conversation? Was it to vent frustrations? Was it to share internal offensive game plans? Context matters.

3.) And this is being REPORTED….doesn’t mean it is true yet.

I am not convinced Kraft would be happy with that. He’s 82. He isn’t going to be patient for a rebuild. Garoppolo would just be a stop gap for a year or two until the Pats could draft another QB of the future.
BGC and I briefly discussed drafting Anthony Richardson this year to sit behind Garoppolo (and Zappe).

Sounds that the players like and support Mac.

Kicking him to the curb after the mess this season on offense sounds like an easy way to alienate the locker room.

Last edited:
Yeah this is weird looking back on it. I gave him a free pass back then since he was a rookie and I figured it was just because he cared, but taking in all of the situations that have come up since then it's pretty strange... I remember Bill seeming to not be very pleased about it.

But everyone already knew this kid was an emotional player. It was in about a million articles leading up to the draft.

But everyone already knew this kid was an emotional player. It was in about a million articles leading up to the draft.
No doubt it was known, but it seems like it hasn't really gone the way we would've expected... at least so far.

We are a messy org. Brady was 3 generations prior when he started as QB. He was extremely devoted to winning . So he and belichick got on well . He bought into the Patriot way and exemplified it. Since the goat was following it, it set an example and all younger players also followed it like Gronk, mcCourty, slater etc.

Now expecting the 2k kids and millennials to buy into belichick's boomer way i.e my way or highway is going to be difficult. Bill and his cronies put Mac in a position to fail and now we get news about Mac transgressions . Just wondering if it is to deflect the focus from the crapshow that Patricia , judge and Achord put in 2023.

If belichick trades Jones, rest assured no young FA would want to come here unless they are an average FA and we overpay then like agholor. Meyers might not even sign back even if the pats offer was competitive because the politics in pats coaching office is too much

Mac was frustrated and reached out for help because he wasn't getting it with his coaches…or enough help. I’m not losing sleep over this.

Was it the wrong thing to do? Maybe. Add that to the current list for the team.

was reported by Chris Simms and Florio with the coach presumably Josh McDaniels...

If true I'm not sure Mac will be back next year, and I find this report hard to believe , although I do recall previous reports of Mac going over Bill's head to Kraft as well. Not a good look for your starting qb if this is true.
Honestly, with the crap show that he inherited this year in regards to offensive coaching… It’s hard to really blame him… Obviously, he wasn’t getting much feedback or scheming coming in from fat Matt or BB… In a sense I give him credit for caring enough to try to do some thing to right the ship… But I know that’s not the right protocol and the overstepped the chain of command… Maybe it would be better if we could just trade him to the Raiders and get 2nd and another pick…. He and Belichick will never get along after this most likely.

You guys are fooling yourself if you think there's a chance Brady comes back. Why tf would he want to come back to this?

I don't think it's going to happen, or really has any shot to happen, but I can see some reasons why it might happen, in theory:

BB's coaching is still top-notch
Plenty of money to spend getting surrounding pieces
BB would be humbling himself for it to happen
Circle of life situation

I don't think it's going to happen, or really has any shot to happen, but I can see some reasons why it might happen, in theory:

BB's coaching is still top-notch
Plenty of money to spend getting surrounding pieces
BB would be humbling himself for it to happen
Circle of life situation
To point #2, I could see a situation where they bring in Brady and simultaneously trade for Hopkins. He'd get to be back in NE while also having that WR1 "weapon" that he never really had since Moss here (prime Gronk notwithstanding, being a TE).

Apparently players are not happy with the way Bill and other coaches have thrown Mac under the bus this season behind the scenes. Lots of players are asking "why" with many things they do.

It does kinda feel like there's a not-super-unlikely chance that Mac's not here in 2023... Not just because Bill doesn't want him, but because he also wants to leave. This report is a little strange but I could see it... The way Bill talked about him a couple days ago was weird, kind of like he was talking about a player who wasn't on the team anymore.

it was an extremely weird answer that he was trying hard to wordsmith on the fly

So Mac is akin to a neurosurgeon ..

Google it ... and I believe it ... Patricia sucked goat balls.

Sounds that the players like and support Mac.

Kicking him to the curb after the mess this season on offense sounds like an easy way to alienate the locker room.

universal support with exception of trent brown maybe lol

nice to hear the lockerroom has their QBs back, regardless of what the future holds... you need to stay together as a team and see it out until the end

universal support with exception of trent brown maybe lol

nice to hear the lockerroom has their QBs back, regardless of what the future holds... you need to stay together as a team and see it out until the end
Looks like bill has lost the locker room .

Don't Coaches get fired if they lose locker room.

I agree... and it's really too bad. It makes me wonder if Bill feels it's best to just reset at the QB position. Mac wants to be with Josh and Josh wants a cheap QB who can be productive in his system. Bill can get a decent pick back, sign his own former QB-in-waiting Jimmy G (who is still only 31) and use their pretty nice draft haul and cap space this year to rebuild.

If they got a 2nd back for Mac they'd have #14, two 2nds, a 3rd, three 4ths, a 5th, three 6ths and a 7th, which is quite a sum of picks.
Holy... I had not considered trading Mac to be a real possibility until you pointed out this obvious scenario in which he'd go back to Josh, who coincidentally *just* freed up a starting QB position for him...

Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it. The dots are too perfectly connected. No certainties of course but damn, that's one neat picture.

Just hope that if they do go that route, it ain't with Jimmy.

If Bill doesn't want Mac Jones anymore, and Mac doesn't want to stay, can we still get a 1st round pick for him?
Yes. But the first round pick is Zach Wilson.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back