PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reminder: Thread Mute Function

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Quick reminder, as I want to make sure people are aware of the update I did to this earlier this offseason (the below also appears in the Help Forum):

NEW FEATURE: Thread Mute Expanded - Hide interactions between specific users, more

The mute functionality is now expanded, but it's now done with just one click of the original button.

Now, when you click the "Mute" button, you'll see the following where you can select a few options:
1677686917198-png.50227

Here is how this works:

1) This post by (username) - Self-explanatory. You can hide a particular single post if you don't wish to see it.

2) Hide the entire interaction and future interactions between these two users in this thread.

So let's pretend you have an exchange like this below:
1677685825751-png.50224

You can select this option and it would mute those two users for the remainder of the thread:
1677685893902-png.50225

One quick note, when you hit the button, the single block you click will vanish but when you refresh the screen - they'll all be gone. As will any future interaction between the two within the thread.

3) (Username) in this thread - works like the previous iteration, where posts by that user will be hidden throughout the thread. One change is that it now also hides any posts containing replies to that user, making them completely invisible throughout the thread.

Just a quick FYI - this option supersedes any of the other two options, so it will override any other selections this user has been selected in.

These are controlled at the top just like previously, where you can select/deselect them:
1677686283928-png.50226

I've tested it locally as well as on here in some complicated situations in various long threads and everything appears to be good, but let me know if any of you spot issues. In the meantime, this should solve a lot of problems and definitely gives a much better level of control to everyone moving forward.

Two additional functions were also added after I completed the above (Mute user forum-wide [ie: all user posts/replies are muted in all threads] and Block User (user is muted and also cannot see your posts forum-wide) which you'll also see listed.

USER FORUM MUTE OPTION:

You can now mute someone forum-wide and it will completely remove them. This will hide their posts and/or interactions in other threads. It works the exact same way it does in a normal thread mute. You just won't have to select it as you move around in each thread.

You can select them here:
1677985910955.png

However, you will see threads they start, which will appear as normal. But if you click on the thread, they won't be there. You also won't see any of the posts replying to them, so it's basically like they won't exist no matter what thread you're in.

USER FORUM BLOCK OPTION:
(This not only hides the user's posts but also blocks them from seeing your posts.)

The next option is the ability to block a user using the "Forum Block." This not only completely removes that user across the board the way the Forum Mute does, but it also blocks them from being able to see your posts.

Not only that, but it will also hide all of your quoted replies - even to other users - from them and vice-versa, so it's literally like you won't exist to them, and they won't exist to you.

Still, as mentioned above, you will see threads they start, but nothing they post/reply to will be visible. Nor will they be able to read your posts or the replies by anyone else to you.

If you don't want to see any notifications, you can also put the user on "ignore."

Last edited:
1) This post by (username) - Self-explanatory. You can hide a particular single post if you don't wish to see it.
This seems almost comical to me. Isn't it just as easy to just scroll past the post? Which is what you're doing anyway, like how many times are you rereading the same post? Especially if you don't like it.

I don't do it but I can understanding muting another member. Some of these other options seem a bit silly. Although, I'm not diminishing your effort, I'm sure plenty of other people appreciate the various options.

This seems almost comical to me. Isn't it just as easy to just scroll past the post? Which is what you're doing anyway, like how many times are you rereading the same post? Especially if you don't like it.

I don't do it but I can understanding muting another member. Some of these other options seem a bit silly. Although, I'm not diminishing your effort, I'm sure plenty of other people appreciate the various options.

I could see it if someone posts an image that you find particular repulsive. If you think you're going to scroll back through the thread looking for another post to reference, you might just want to hide it so you don't scroll past that every time. Not something that comes up a lot, but useful in that case.

I could see it if someone posts an image that you find particular repulsive. If you think you're going to scroll back through the thread looking for another post to reference, you might just want to hide it so you don't scroll past that every time. Not something that comes up a lot, but useful in that case.
That's exactly one of the uses I had in mind for it when I added that option after someone else had mentioned something similar.

That's exactly one of the uses I had in mind for it when I added that option after someone else had mentioned something similar.

I've actually been a guilty culprit in the past (took it down after another user PM'd me). Hopefully I learned to be more cognizant of it going forward, but it helps to give people options for the images that may offend some but not all.

I've actually been a guilty culprit in the past (took it down after another user PM'd me). Hopefully I learned to be more cognizant of it going forward, but it helps to give people options for the images that may offend some but not all.
LOL, it's not just images. There have been Tweets and other media embeds that come up from time to time that some may find amusing/interesting while others may not feel the same. So since I was already in there building out the other options, I just added that one as well.

I would encourage people to test this in a larger thread if there are individuals you're not fond of. I've done various trials, and it essentially changes the entire thread experience.

So for anyone who may have been unaware the additional options existed, you should definitely take it for a spin and see if it helps. :cool:

Particularly offensive imagery I can understand muting but generally I think Ian will delete those posts anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
I would encourage people to test this in a larger thread if there are individuals you're not fond of. I've done various trials, and it essentially changes the entire thread experience.

So for anyone who may have been unaware the additional options existed, you should definitely take it for a spin and see if it helps. :cool:
Seems unnecessarily intolerant and exclusionary. IMO.

Quick reminder, as I want to make sure people are aware of the update I did to this earlier this offseason (the below also appears in the Help Forum):

NEW FEATURE: Thread Mute Expanded - Hide interactions between specific users, more

The mute functionality is now expanded, but it's now done with just one click of the original button.

Now, when you click the "Mute" button, you'll see the following where you can select a few options:
1677686917198-png.50227

Here is how this works:

2) Hide the entire interaction and future interactions between these two users in this thread.

So let's pretend you have an exchange like this below:
1677685825751-png.50224

You can select this option and it would mute those two users for the remainder of the thread:
1677685893902-png.50225

One quick note, when you hit the button, the single block you click will vanish but when you refresh the screen - they'll all be gone. As will any future interaction between the two within the thread.

3) (Username) in this thread - works like the previous iteration, where posts by that user will be hidden throughout the thread. One change is that it now also hides any posts containing replies to that user, making them completely invisible throughout the thread.

Just a quick FYI - this option supersedes any of the other two options, so it will override any other selections this user has been selected in.

These are controlled at the top just like previously, where you can select/deselect them:
1677686283928-png.50226

I've tested it locally as well as on here in some complicated situations in various long threads and everything appears to be good, but let me know if any of you spot issues. In the meantime, this should solve a lot of problems and definitely gives a much better level of control to everyone moving forward.

Honestly Ian , while we appreciate the thought, you don't need to hide @Joker and I behind those phony @viptest and @regtest id's.

Seems unnecessarily intolerant and exclusionary. IMO.
It's a user-selected function, not a moderator function. So the option is left to the user to make their own decisions in that regard.

Again I'm LOLing at the unintended humor. I imagine that at least in a few cases "not fond of" is an understatement of seismic proportions! :rofl:

"I find the mere fact of your existence most distasteful!"
neilsmiles-monocle.gif
Yeah, I have a lot of...
shut the fuck up GIF

It's a user-selected function, not a moderator function. So the option is left to the user to make their own decisions in that regard.
That the Admin is "definitely encouraging." Just saying. :)

C'mon, Ian, we all know you bumped the "Bill is pissed" thread just to get more test time on your new Thread Mute Function.

Yes, the admin is encouraging using something that took a massive amount of time he spent coding out and putting together. ;)
To my point.

I acknowledged your effort. Functionally the forum is in tip-top shape.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back