PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Rex Ryan explains to BB how to use Adalius Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
3. I might be reading too much into it, but I took this comment by Jets coach Rex Ryan on Adalius Thomas as a shot at Patriots coach Bill Belichick: “If you're just going to [make him] a defensive end, or an inside linebacker, or an outside linebacker, then he's not going to be quite as effective. If you can use him all over the place as a defensive end, an inside linebacker, and outside backer, a safety, he's special.”
I don't know, if Rex thought he was "special", Thomas would've already been a Jet. You make the call.

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
BB should explain to Rex how to reach a Superbowl.

I took that as a shot at Belichick when I first read it too. Granted, it's more of a little dig than a complete kick in the nuts (IMO, Ryan has a good amount of respect for BB). Thomas is best used in an aggressive defense where 90% of his snaps see him coming after he quarterback. The Patriots defense simply was not a perfect fit for him (though he was effective here in his first two seasons).

BB should explain to Rex how to stay under 400 pounds.

If he's so special Rex, sign him to a contract.

The reason Thomas is gone is because he wasn't good enough rushing the passer. All problems between Thomas and the team started at the point that BB benched Thomas and changed his role in order to try and help improve the defense.

Honestly it seems that the only thing motivating Thomas these days is his dedication to being detrimental to the Patriots. That seems to be the basis of his career choices moving forward.

Sad.

I think coming from the HC of the Jets, we should expect these type of digs towards the Patriots.

No harm in it, in my book - there is no love lost between the two franchises.

There barely seems to be a day go by when Rex doesn't get quotred saying something about how great his team is, or whats going on with other teams (the Miami stuff last year and the stuff about his brothers draft this year).

I took that as a shot at Belichick when I first read it too. Granted, it's more of a little dig than a complete kick in the nuts (IMO, Ryan has a good amount of respect for BB). Thomas is best used in an aggressive defense where 90% of his snaps see him coming after he quarterback. The Patriots defense simply was not a perfect fit for him (though he was effective here in his first two seasons).

Not any more, maybe not ever. ADs strength ws always his versatility. Sure he got sacks, but his skill level was more well-rounded, and IMO, he was never a 'super' pass rusher, just a guy who benefited from his versatiltiy in a scheme.
But now, he pretty much sucks as a pass rusher. I mean go back and actually watch him rush the passer last year. He was flat out terribly. At his age your skills don't suddenly start to improve. If he gets unblocked in a blitz, or one on one with a RB he knows what to do with it, but skill-wise he is a poor pass rusher.

I dont see any big deal.

It would be the same as NE picking up an NY Jet FA and telling reporters that player x will be playing on Special Teams because we believe hell be most effective there.

Maybe Ryan should figure out how to use his own lb's since they didn't get many sacks last year.

Adalius Thomas is so special that he becomes less effective playing one position/per game, maybe he was just bored? Can Rex explain how to use him with a special broken arm too? However his ability to play multiple positions effectively is probably what landed him a contract here. Clearly the guy has lost a step and there are reasons why a team hasn't signed him yet.

Last edited:
Not any more, maybe not ever. ADs strength ws always his versatility. Sure he got sacks, but his skill level was more well-rounded, and IMO, he was never a 'super' pass rusher, just a guy who benefited from his versatiltiy in a scheme.
But now, he pretty much sucks as a pass rusher. I mean go back and actually watch him rush the passer last year. He was flat out terribly. At his age your skills don't suddenly start to improve. If he gets unblocked in a blitz, or one on one with a RB he knows what to do with it, but skill-wise he is a poor pass rusher.

I'm fully ready and able to concede the possibility that his pass rush skills possibly deteriorated with age. However, it is also possible that he hasn't fully recovered from from the 2008 arm injury. It's equally possible that he lost interest in the game this year because his role on the defense wasn't perfectly suited for his aptitudes as a football player. Remember now that I'm one of the many on here who wanted AD gone after the 2009 season. I didn't it done over his mouth, but over his production (or lack thereof). You seem to truly believe that his production dropped off 100% because his skills dropped off with age. That could be the case but it could also be due to a multitude of reasons. This season will be the judge.

Last edited:
Rex Ryan is going to school Belichick on how to use a player with versatility? Belichick who used Troy Brown at CB, Don Davis at safety, Vince Wilfork at DE, Mike Vrabel at TE, Richard Seymour or Tom Ashworth or Russ Hochstein at FB (well maybe using Seymour at FB was a mistake)?

The problem wasn't that they didn't use Thomas at multiple positions (they did use him at ILB his first year here). It was that he wasn't producing in his primary role to allow them to move him around. I seriously doubt that if the Pats moved Thomas around, that he would have been significantly more effective.

I do also think the success of his first year has made Ryan's ego spin out of control a bit. He is even more pompous than last year. He might want to temper the rhetoric until he is sure that the playoff run last year wasn't a fluke and he didn't dismantle his running game too much this offseason.

Adalius Thomas is best used by having him stand next to one of the greatest linebackers in NFL history...

No, silly, ..Vernon Gholston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back