PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss - NE has the highest rate of WR non separation in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for Bill to find that old manual of his...
BB has always been very flexible and adaptable, not one to do something just because 'this is the way everybody does it'.

It would surprise me if he continues to use the same metrics and methodology for scouting college wide receivers. I would expect him to task some assistants with coming up with a better plan (if he hasn't done so already). The agility metrics they use to find slot receivers seems to work quite well, but whatever they are using to assess X and Z wideouts isn't working at all.

I wouldn’t mind HOU TE Daniel Fells or NYJ TE Chris Herndon (if he can stay healthy) and a WR (Theilen, OBJ, Ross, Fuller etc..) by the deadline.

Last edited:
so, who realistically is on the trade block that could move the needle?

wonder if we could get michael thomas from New orleans. seems like hes on the outs.

That’s actually a big one. The Patriots put the most emphasis on that drill when compared to every other team in the league.

This is interesting. Is this your judgement based on looking at the 3 cone metric for all the Pats draft picks versus comparable picks, or is it written somewhere? Just wondering. I know it has been written that Pats love wonderlick more than anyone and look for married players as well.

Excellent excellent post. We've had to use FA and trades for WR since we are terrible at drafting outside of O'Brien's tenure getting Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez. I wonder if our crappy WR drafting and also poor DB drafting is related to this article. I still have nightmares thinking about how bad those 04, 05, and 06 drafts were, and now from 2012-present:

"When McDaniels and Caserio were tasked [in 2003] with scouting New England's opposing receivers and corners, they took it further, creating a formula for size, speed, ball skills, scheme and assignments. Then they developed a ranking system based on the Patriots' personnel and playbook. Impressed, Belichick ditched his manual for scouting receivers and corners, replacing it with what he'd learned."

Seems like one kind of obvious logic failing in this process:

taking an analysis of SUCCESSFUL WRs (those who survived cutdowns) and applying it to a PRE-DRAFT population does not necessarily mean the criteria will be useful or not be more dominated by a criterion that wasn’t considered.

It sure seems like Belichick, whose never been into excuses, is blaming the lack of practice for the team's offensive woes. Every time I hear him speak he brings it up.
There’s excuses, and then there just plain obvious. I think this one falls into the latter.

Seems like one kind of obvious logic failing in this process:

taking an analysis of SUCCESSFUL WRs (those who survived cutdowns) and applying it to a PRE-DRAFT population does not necessarily mean the criteria will be useful or not be more dominated by a criterion that wasn’t considered.

Yes exactly. I think Belichick ditching his own scouting methods to use McD's bad method, screwed our CB and WR drafts from 04-08 and WRs from 2012-now. The secondary drafts I think got way way better once the younger Belichick kids joined CB and safety coaching, probably fixed our draft evals then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots