PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss - NE has the highest rate of WR non separation in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen much bashing of Cam even for how poorly he played the last two games.

The articles and videos trying to call out open receivers who were missed. They forget how Brady didn't look great with the same receivers.

Just wait until Sunday, when the Pats and Bucs are both playing at the same time.

I think we've already seen a separation between the Bradyites and the Pats fans on this forum. The former live on the Gronkaneers thread lol.

Maybe it's time the Pats stop putting so much emphasis on the 3-cone drill. Metcalf, for example, had a terrible 3-cone score and ended up being the best receiver in that draft. Whatever techniques they are using to evaluate this position needs to be overhauled.
Yes. 3 cone is for slot receivers. Deep threats you care about release, going down the sideline and ability to bring the ball down. This reminds me how our DB scouting was messed up from 03 for a decade onward after it was 'revamped'

whoever is doing out wide receiver drafting needs to be fired. Its one of the most important positions and we cant draft even a halfway decent one.

we end up with N'keal harry who is the only receiver it seems from that class who isnt doing anything.
Our scouts could still be serviceable: whoever they like, just pick the opposite of it

Maybe it's time the Pats stop putting so much emphasis on the 3-cone drill. Metcalf, for example, had a terrible 3-cone score and ended up being the best receiver in that draft. Whatever techniques they are using to evaluate this position needs to be overhauled.
That’s actually a big one. The Patriots put the most emphasis on that drill when compared to every other team in the league.

The articles and videos trying to call out open receivers who were missed. They forget how Brady didn't look great with the same receivers.

At some point in the game the receivers had to have been open here and there but overall they are not getting open. Whether they are getting open or not Cam needs to stop getting his passes batted at the line and feel the rush/get rid of the ball sooner. I don't think the struggles are all Cam's fault by any means but he is definitely part of it.

whoever is doing out wide receiver drafting needs to be fired. Its one of the most important positions and we cant draft even a halfway decent one.

we end up with N'keal harry who is the only receiver it seems from that class who isnt doing anything.
It can only be 1 guy after 20 years of not hitting the broad side of a barn.

Belichick.

They probably asked Troy Brown we assume that youll be coaching WRs right? And Brown said well, Id like give RBs a try.

I didn't need to be told this. I see it every sunday..........Funny I had people trying to argue this offense is better than last year, hilarious.

I have no idea how Harry managed to do better than anyone in the three cone drill. He changes direction about as quickly as a cruise ship.
I believe the Pats were hoping for Allen Robinson and got Donald Hayes instead.

How would DK Metcalf and Tyreek Hill have fared with Pats? They would be have been out of the league by now. Cut by the team.
Why? Because our system is complex. Complex, I say.
Having a complex system is good provided you can find players in the draft to man it.

Why does this forum always insist that better players would not be able to get the system? Can anyone name me one WR in the BB era who was a complete bust for the Patriots, but went on to have a good career with someone else? Just one. Using the E-P as an excuse is just that - an excuse. Good WRs fit in this offense because they’re actually good football players. Stiffs can’t fit in this offense because they’re stiffs.

There are a very limited number of high draft picks available each year - much less than the number of positions there are on a roster. It appears that the Patriots have chosen to devote those early draft picks on other positions, and utilize free agency and trades to fill their roster at WR.

When the Pats do use draft capital on a wide receiver it is more likely to be trading a draft pick for a veteran wide receiver.

For example, 2018 rankings of Pats top receiving yards:
1.) 7th round pick - slot - Edelman
2.) 4th round pick - RB - James White
3.) trade (5th round pick) - WR - Josh Gordon
4.) 2nd round pick - TE - Gronk
5.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
6.) trade (player) - WR - Phillip Dorsett
7.) trade (5th round pick) - WR - Cordarrelle Patterson

2017 rankings:
1.) 2nd round pick - TE - Gronk
2.) trade (1st round pick) - WR - Brandin Cooks
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - slot - Danny Amendola
4.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
5.) 4th round pick - RB - James White
6.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - RB - Rex Burkhead

2016 rankings:
2.) trade (4th round pick) - TE - Marty Bennett
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
4.) 4th round pick - RB - James White
5.) 2nd round pick - TE - Gronk
6.) 4th round pick - WR - Malcolm Mitchell

2015 rankings:
2.) 7th round pick - slot - Edelman
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Danny Amendola
4.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - WR - Brandon LaFell
6.) free agent ($1.1mil/yr) - RB - Dion Lewis

2014 rankings:
3.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - WR - Brandon LaFell
4.) 2nd round pick - RB - Shane Vereen
5.) trade (player) - TE - Tim Wright
6.) ) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Danny Amendola

Prior to drafting Harry, the last time the Pats drafted a WR was in 2016 with Malcolm Mitchell - in the 4th round, 112th overall. He was on his way to being a productive player before injury prematurely ended his pro football career, so I'm hesitant to call him a bad pick; more of a case of bad luck rather than bad scouting. Harry and Mitchell are the only wide receivers the Pats have drafted in rounds 1-6 over the course of the last seven drafts.

The Patriots simply appear to prefer to build their roster at the wide receiver position through other available means. There is a finite number of draft picks; a team cannot fill a roster strictly via the draft and undrafted rookie free agents.

Why does this forum always insist that better players would not be able to get the system? Can anyone name me one WR in the BB era who was a complete bust for the Patriots, but went on to have a good career with someone else? Just one. Using the E-P as an excuse is just that - an excuse. Good WRs fit in this offense because they’re actually good football players. Stiffs can’t fit in this offense because they’re stiffs.
Yeah. Even Sanu cant find a team to sign him. Its poor drafting and selection. The guys just aren't getting open.

And if the offense is too complex that receivers cant get it then simplify it so that they can.

Maybe this will quiet the Brady cult. Or the Cam bashers
Considering all that Brady has done for Pats fans, he deserves a cult following.
As for Cam-bashing, I haven't seen much of that... yet. If the offense continues to stink and the record goes south, he'll deserve the heat.
There are a very limited number of high draft picks available each year - much less than the number of positions there are on a roster. It appears that the Patriots have chosen to devote those early draft picks on other positions, and utilize free agency and trades to fill their roster at WR.

When the Pats do use draft capital on a wide receiver it is more likely to be trading a draft pick for a veteran wide receiver.

For example, 2018 rankings of Pats top receiving yards:
2.) 4th round pick - RB - James White
3.) trade (5th round pick) - WR - Josh Gordon
4.) 2nd round pick - TE - Gronk
5.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
6.) trade (player) - WR - Phillip Dorsett
7.) trade (5th round pick) - WR - Cordarrelle Patterson

2017 rankings:
2.) trade (1st round pick) - WR - Brandin Cooks
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - slot - Danny Amendola
4.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
6.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - RB - Rex Burkhead

2016 rankings:
2.) trade (4th round pick) - TE - Marty Bennett
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Chris Hogan
4.) 4th round pick - RB - James White
5.) 2nd round pick - TE - Gronk
6.) 4th round pick - WR - Malcolm Mitchell

2015 rankings:
3.) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Danny Amendola
4.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - WR - Brandon LaFell
6.) free agent ($1.1mil/yr) - RB - Dion Lewis

2014 rankings:
3.) free agent ($3mil/yr) - WR - Brandon LaFell
4.) 2nd round pick - RB - Shane Vereen
5.) trade (player) - TE - Tim Wright
6.) ) free agent ($4mil/yr) - WR - Danny Amendola

Prior to drafting Harry, the last time the Pats drafted a WR was in 2016 with Malcolm Mitchell - in the 4th round, 112th overall. He was on his way to being a productive player before injury prematurely ended his pro football career, so I'm hesitant to call him a bad pick; more of a case of bad luck rather than bad scouting. Harry and Mitchell are the only wide receivers the Pats have drafted in rounds 1-6 over the course of the last seven drafts.

The Patriots simply appear to prefer to build their roster at the wide receiver position through other available means. There is a finite number of draft picks; a team cannot fill a roster strictly via the draft and undrafted rookie free agents.

Personally, I prefer the trade route. The draft is a crap shoot.
The NYFL HOF has plenty of members who weren't top picks and plenty of top picks who aren't members.
I'm not a big follower of the HOF but there are probably undrafted players and late picks who got a look and also made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News