PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redraft Game

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
So what would you have done differently? What the same?

Patriots 2020 draft class:
2a-37: S Kyle Dugger
2b-60: LB Josh Uche
3a-87: OLB Anfernee Jennings
3b-91: TE Devin Asiasi
3c-101: TE Dalton Keene
5-159: K Justin Rohrwasser
6a-182: G Michael Onwenu
6b-195: OT Justin Herron
6c-204: LB Cassh Maluia
7-230: C Dustin Woodard

Remember the original picks were the following:
1st-23
3rd-87
3rd-98
3rd-100
4th-125
4th-139
5th-172
6th-195
6th-204
6th-212
6th-213
7th-230

They made four trades, moving out of the first round and moving up three times, including for the first time giving up a future pick. A nice image of it is here:

every different selection has many other pieces to fall different way for every further pick, also further trades, so even if it seems fun for some to do the re-draft thing believing to be the smartest coach ever it is nothing more than doing kind of a pre-draft mock

i like the trade down from the first, wouldn't have traded any other 2, 3 and 4th away, would have let the board play out and draft for needs, as we know thats not how BB does drafting:D

i don't value ST-only guys in the draft like BB does, you can go and get many also as UDFA, like both TE picks, but as mentioned wouldn't need to trade around, I guess both could have been available at 87,98 or 100 to pick up

like the O-Line picks for where they have been picked (would have liked to pick up biadasz with the 5th might be a steal at C/OG)

the kicker seem also to be a reach and I believe he could have been there for easy pick up in the mid 6th, but might be a good one with regards to kicking not much about the nazi tattoo thing

don't like the Maluai pick, for me he seems to be a easy UDFA target, would have loved the pats to pick a NT late Raequan Williams, Benito Jones, unfortunately Fotu and Penisini(!) went quite early in the 5th or 6th I believe.

With some current HCs beeing through the BB school of football, its like having 3-4 teams having the same needs and values in prospects which makes it difficult to pick the ones you would like the most, bc they are picked up by the likes of Vrabel, MattP, Flores etc.

every different selection has many other pieces to fall different way for every further pick, also further trades, so even if it seems fun for some to do the re-draft thing believing to be the smartest coach ever it is nothing more than doing kind of a pre-draft mock

i like the trade down from the first, wouldn't have traded any other 2, 3 and 4th away, would have let the board play out and draft for needs, as we know thats not how BB does drafting:D

i don't value ST-only guys in the draft like BB does, you can go and get many also as UDFA, like both TE picks, but as mentioned wouldn't need to trade around, I guess both could have been available at 87,98 or 100 to pick up

like the O-Line picks for where they have been picked (would have liked to pick up biadasz with the 5th might be a steal at C/OG)

the kicker seem also to be a reach and I believe he could have been there for easy pick up in the mid 6th, but might be a good one with regards to kicking not much about the nazi tattoo thing

don't like the Maluai pick, for me he seems to be a easy UDFA target, would have loved the pats to pick a NT late Raequan Williams, Benito Jones, unfortunately Fotu and Penisini(!) went quite early in the 5th or 6th I believe.

With some current HCs beeing through the BB school of football, its like having 3-4 teams having the same needs and values in prospects which makes it difficult to pick the ones you would like the most, bc they are picked up by the likes of Vrabel, MattP, Flores etc.

Yup, he's the blandest of our picks...even the OL seem to be developmental

Typically, Matty P or Vrabel wind up with a handful of prospects I like a lot, but did't happen this year

So annoying having a quarter of the league be satellite teams, but I guess that's a good problem

I loved the trade down. But, I'll go with original picks.

23 - AJ Epenesa - DE - Iowa
87 - A. Trautman - TE - Toledo
98 - M. Harrison - LB - OSU
100 L. Fotu - dt - Utah
125 B. Bredeson - G - Michigan
139 C. Johnson - WR - Texas
172 B. Anae - Edge - Utah
195 J. Proche - WR - SMU
204 J. Metellus - S - Michigan
212 M. Bailey - LB - Purdue
213 KJ Hill - -WR - Ohio St
230 N. STanley - QB- Iowa

If I trade down, I'd still take Trautman at 71. Probably Duvernay at 87. Instead of C. Johnson at 139 I'd prob go with Bryce Hall - DB - Virginia

Yeah I agree with you. I am glad that we picked up two TE and LB early. I did hope we would get an DT and WR in the fourth and fifth. Wouldn’t go for a K in the fifth but this pick is solid. Don’t know the kicker anyway. I hoped that we pick Zack Baun at 60, but I’m fine with uche.
Kyle Dugger I like this pick. We needed athletic and speed as well as a youth safety who can sit and learn behind one of the bests. Also we can replace our secondary year by year and not only in one year. The O-Line picks are ok I guess for depth and maybe some cap salary.
i can imagine that our d line will be one of our weaknesses next season. The rest of the defense should be fine. with the FA wide receivers and better run game and a solid TE dou our offense can be ok. It depends of course with the QB decisions but run game with short passes should be fine. Still miss a deep threat and some speed but can’t solve anything in one offseason.

OK, here's my attempt, using the picks they took (with one exception) and selecting only guys that were taken at or after those positions (I put their draft position in parentheses):

37. Gross-Matos, DE (38)
60. Baun, OLB (74)
87. Duvernay, WR (92)
91. Trautman, TE (105)
101. Fotu, DT (114)
159. Ismael, C/G (156) - this is a "cheat" for me, but per the value chart the difference is very small and frankly I disliked all of the alternatives at that point in the draft. I'm actuall
182. Peoples-Jones, WR (187)
195. Fuller, S (199)
204. Wanoghu, OT (210)
230. Dinucci, QB (231)

Since I picked all different players, it may create the impression that I didn't like any of the actual picks. I am OK for the most part with their picks, i..e., who they took at the positions they took them, especially Duggar, Uche, Keene, and Rohrwasser. But I would have liked the draft above a lot more (albeit impossible due to the "butterfly effect").

Using the original picks:
23 - Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
87 - Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas
98 - Tanner Muse, S, Clemson
100 Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
125 Troy Dye, LB, Oregon
139 Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin
172 Jake Fromm, QB, UGA
195 Evan Weaver, LB, CAL
204 Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
212 KJ Hill, WR, Ohio State
213 Kenny Willekes, DE, MSU
230 Rodrigo Blankenship, K, UGA

Using the actual picks:
37 AJ Epenesa, DL, Iowa
60 Zach Baun, LB, Wisconsin
87 Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas
91 Tanner Muse, S, Clemson
101 Troy Dye, LB, Oregon
159 Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
182 Jon Runyan, OT, Michigan
195 Jake Hanson, C, Oregon
204 Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
230 Rodrigo Blankenship, K, UGA

UDFAs: LB Bachie, OT Adams, WR Stewart, WR Ffrench, QB Perkins, RB Guerriero, RB Slomka, WR Lee Morris, WR Cannella, WR Fuller, WR Finke, WR Chisena, TE Moss, OG Kraemer, OG Magee, DE Willekes, LB Quansah, LB Daniel, DB Berry, P Townsend

Don't even love both of my own drafts, but do like them

Drafting ain't as easy as it seems

As I stated in the other re-draft thread (merge candidate mods?), I'll post more details when I have more time, but suffice it to say that my answer for now is:

Practically Anybody Else.

Here's my What the Incompetent Feckin Idiots Should've Done re-draft, 2020 edition:
(including trade-back But NOT including those feckin horrible, Horrible trade-ups)

2-37: TE Cole Kmet
In a normal year, with a normal TE room, I would've taken the BPA at a position where we could always use a little more juice - DE Yetur Gross Matos - but Kmet, as a middish 2nd-round talent, still isn't a real big reach here anyway, though I definitely would've taken WR Brandon Aiyuk here if he had still been available...

3-71: OT/G Joshua Jones
Best Player Available (with Zach Baun) Regardless Of Position, and boy could we really use the help there...4-position versatility makes him an immediate game-day active...Marcus Cannon understudy/replacement...I also might've considered either Chase Claypool or Van Jefferson had either of them been available here, but I probably would've just stayed with Jones and counted my blessings anyway...

3-87: LB Ducking Fugger/Josh Uche/Malik Harrison
If the first two names, Over-Drafted as they were, are gone by #87, still No Big Deal: Harrison might be better than either of them anyway...

3-98: DT Leki Fotu
I've mocked him at this very spot numerous times...Best DT available...immediate Danny Shelton replacement...and Fat Thor Still Feckin SUCKS...

3-100 Adam Trautman
Not a real big fan of Gabriel Davis - the best available WR - at this spot...I am however a Real Big fan of Trautman (you know, the 2ND-BEST TE in the Entire Feckin Draft?) at this spot...TE position now Fixed...You're welcome...

4-125 WR Gabriel Davis
Now's the time when Pick matches Talent matches Need (i.e.: Value) at the WR position...I missed-out on some good WRs earlier, so there's absolutely No Feckin Doubt about whom I'm going to take here...

4-139 Slot CB Amik Robertson
I would've Gladly taken him at 125 if the WR picks had fallen more favorably earlier in the draft, so I'm delighted that he's still available here, though I was very tempted to consider one of the still-available DEs Curtis Weaver, Bradley Anae & Trevis Gipson...

5-172 DE Bradley Anae
Got one of those aforementioned DEs a Full Round later...very lucky...BPAROP...Defense looking pretty good so far (LB, DT, Slot CB, and now DE)...I just need a Free Safety & another LB...

6-195 WR Isaiah Hodgins
Would have no problem with Jimmy Proche here also, or even Quez Watkins, but seeing that our first WR is a sideline-runner, I'll take the one who has more middle-field experience...He's also a legacy pick, with smarts & great hands, and we all know how Little Billy loves him some of those ...He's a 4.6-forty guy, but his agility as shown during the combine might be better than he's given credit for having ...

6-204 Safety JR Reed
He went undrafted, but he's more than worthy of this selection...All-American...smart...played in a program that is currently one of Bill's favorites...Not a clunker athletically either, unlike other DBs we could mention who went much, Much, MUCH higher than he did...

6-212 C/G Darryl Williams
Was considering Jake Hanson for the last couple of picks but couldn't justify taking him ahead of the two above...Williams like Reed went undrafted, but he's without question the Best C/G Available, and we still need a Mongo replacement/Andrews understudy...

6-213 LB Marcus Bailey
Part 2 of my LB double-dip...If he's close enough all the way back from his knee injury, this could be a Steal...Also considered Carter Coughlin, Casey Toohill & Joe Bachie here, and wouldn't really argue much if someone wanted one of those three instead...But I do really like Bailey's potential sideline-to-sideline game...

7-230: There are so many good players still available here, and I've already accomplished my pre-draft mission of double-dipping at TE, WR, OL & LB while acquiring depth at DT, DE & Day 3 DBs, so y'all can have fun with either QB, PK, RB...or...perhaps...the Legacy of All Legacy picks: TE Thaddeus Son of Randy Moss? It would be overkill at the position I realize, but Moss could play more often in the backfield as a Big H while Kmet/Trautman play more in-line and Flanker-type roles...our short-yardage game should be much improved at the very least...

There you have it...That's the list; there is no other but this one...You're Welcome.

Here's my What the Incompetent Feckin Idiots Should've Done re-draft, 2020 edition:
(including trade-back But NOT including those feckin horrible, Horrible trade-ups)

2-37: TE Cole Kmet
In a normal year, with a normal TE room, I would've taken the BPA at a position where we could always use a little more juice - DE Yetur Gross Matos - but Kmet, as a middish 2nd-round talent, still isn't a real big reach here anyway, though I definitely would've taken WR Brandon Aiyuk here if he had still been available...

3-71: OT/G Joshua Jones
Best Player Available (with Zach Baun) Regardless Of Position, and boy could we really use the help there...4-position versatility makes him an immediate game-day active...Marcus Cannon understudy/replacement...I also might've considered either Chase Claypool or Van Jefferson had either of them been available here, but I probably would've just stayed with Jones and counted my blessings anyway...

3-87: LB Ducking Fugger/Josh Uche/Malik Harrison
If the first two names, Over-Drafted as they were, are gone by #87, still No Big Deal: Harrison might be better than either of them anyway...

3-98: DT Leki Fotu
I've mocked him at this very spot numerous times...Best DT available...immediate Danny Shelton replacement...and Fat Thor Still Feckin SUCKS...

3-100 Adam Trautman
Not a real big fan of Gabriel Davis - the best available WR - at this spot...I am however a Real Big fan of Trautman (you know, the 2ND-BEST TE in the Entire Feckin Draft?) at this spot...TE position now Fixed...You're welcome...

4-125 WR Gabriel Davis
Now's the time when Pick matches Talent matches Need (i.e.: Value) at the WR position...I missed-out on some good WRs earlier, so there's absolutely No Feckin Doubt about whom I'm going to take here...

4-139 Slot CB Amik Robertson
I would've Gladly taken him at 125 if the WR picks had fallen more favorably earlier in the draft, so I'm delighted that he's still available here, though I was very tempted to consider one of the still-available DEs Curtis Weaver, Bradley Anae & Trevis Gipson...

5-172 DE Bradley Anae
Got one of those aforementioned DEs a Full Round later...very lucky...BPAROP...Defense looking pretty good so far (LB, DT, Slot CB, and now DE)...I just need a Free Safety & another LB...

6-195 WR Isaiah Hodgins
Would have no problem with Jimmy Proche here also, or even Quez Watkins, but seeing that our first WR is a sideline-runner, I'll take the one who has more middle-field experience...He's also a legacy pick, with smarts & great hands, and we all know how Little Billy loves him some of those ...He's a 4.6-forty guy, but his agility as shown during the combine might be better than he's given credit for having ...

6-204 Safety JR Reed
He went undrafted, but he's more than worthy of this selection...All-American...smart...played in a program that is currently one of Bill's favorites...Not a clunker athletically either, unlike other DBs we could mention who went much, Much, MUCH higher than he did...

6-212 C/G Darryl Williams
Was considering Jake Hanson for the last couple of picks but couldn't justify taking him ahead of the two above...Williams like Reed went undrafted, but he's without question the Best C/G Available, and we still need a Mongo replacement/Andrews understudy...

6-213 LB Marcus Bailey
Part 2 of my LB double-dip...If he's close enough all the way back from his knee injury, this could be a Steal...Also considered Carter Coughlin, Casey Toohill & Joe Bachie here, and wouldn't really argue much if someone wanted one of those three instead...But I do really like Bailey's potential sideline-to-sideline game...

7-230: There are so many good players still available here, and I've already accomplished my pre-draft mission of double-dipping at TE, WR, OL & LB while acquiring depth at DT, DE & Day 3 DBs, so y'all can have fun with either QB, PK, RB...or...perhaps...the Legacy of All Legacy picks: TE Thaddeus Son of Randy Moss? It would be overkill at the position I realize, but Moss could play more often in the backfield as a Big H while Kmet/Trautman play more in-line and Flanker-type roles...our short-yardage game should be much improved at the very least...

There you have it...That's the list; there is no other but this one...You're Welcome.

I would have gone with Gross- Matos or Baun at #37. Gross-Matos is the same size as Chandler-Jones when he came out but he is a better run defender and a more advanced pass rusher than Jones was when drafted.

As there had only been one safety taken up until pick #37 and not one TE picked, I would have put my focus on solidifying the front and taken a chance on getting a safety or TE later.

I would have gone with Gross- Matos or Baun at #37. Gross-Matos is the same size as Chandler-Jones when he came out but he is a better run defender and a more advanced pass rusher than Jones was when drafted.

As there had only been one safety taken up until pick #37 and not one TE picked, I would have put my focus on solidifying the front and taken a chance on getting a safety or TE later.
Completely understand...

Completely understand...

Once we traded down. Why not 98 or 100 for
OJ Howard? I just don’t like Kmet. Clay pool was a better blocker.

I’m becoming more and more of a believer in just accumulating picks. Josh Jones at 71 would have been sweet

Completely understand...
I’m with ya captain. What is maddening is in recent years and more especially this past draft; they have approached the draft as if they were stocked with young, talented players and these picks are for 2-3 years down the road. They are picking players who are no doubt talented but are not necessarily ready to contribute right away. Well, the roster as a whole is not stacked with such talent and now they are without a proven QB. They need picks in rounds 1-4 to contribute and make an immediate impact.

I’m with ya captain. What is maddening is in recent years and more especially this past draft; they have approached the draft as if they were stocked with young, talented players and these picks are for 2-3 years down the road. They are picking players who are no doubt talented but are not necessarily ready to contribute right away. Well, the roster as a whole is not stacked with such talent and now they are without a proven QB. They need picks in rounds 1-4 to contribute and make an immediate impact.
Yep, and as I wrote in another thread, Pat Kirwin himself said that the draft is a needs business now, can't wait 2-3 years for rookies to develop when their contracts expire in 4 years and free agency hits...You've then basically trained somebody to play for somebody else...

In a way it's kinda similar to the Damien Harris pick last year, when we should've been desperate to find value at TE, only to watch him...Not play...I mean, who deactivates a RB - the Most Plug-n-Play position in football - especially while our ground game was struggling so badly after the Develin & Wynn injuries? Made no sense at all not to at least give him a shot...

Last edited:
Once we traded down. Why not 98 or 100 for
OJ Howard? I just don’t like Kmet. Clay pool was a better blocker.

I’m becoming more and more of a believer in just accumulating picks. Josh Jones at 71 would have been sweet
Not sure what Tampa's plans are for Howard...Wouldn't surprise to see them keep him and try to deal Cameron Brate instead...

Not sure what Tampa's plans are for Howard...Wouldn't surprise to see them keep him and try to deal Cameron Brate instead...
They have so many TEs for a HC that hates using TEs

One thing I didn’t like about Kmet tape is he didn’t flash to me or look that explosive. Whereas some of the other TEs did and players who were selected around where Kmet was drafted did.

The one thing that did annoy me was taking the kicker as early as we did. Felt there were still a lot of strong options at the point.

One thing I didn’t like about Kmet tape is he didn’t flash to me or look that explosive. Whereas some of the other TEs did and players who were selected around where Kmet was drafted did.

The one thing that did annoy me was taking the kicker as early as we did. Felt there were still a lot of strong options at the point.
Should have been used to that feeling already with Cardona and Bailey

Should have been used to that feeling already with Cardona and Bailey
Yep...and with the Zoltan...and with Jake (another Fake) Ingram...and of course the one who started it all, Gostkowski, whom I will Always insist could've been taken At Least one round later, if Little Billy had been capable of showing even a modicum of patience instead of running up to the podium like a child chasing the ice cream truck...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back