PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Transactions Thread

really? and why is that?

Well he had experience with the Red Sox, which is always a plus because that means he knows what comes with the job. The Globe described him as being a guy who was stern but knew how to get players to like him and had a great baseball mind. He sounded like he would run a good team but listen to upper management about some issues.

Thoughts on Andrew Bailey? I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the Red Sox pitching this offseason.

Last edited:
I like the Bailey and Melancon trades. Phils are insane to pay Pap that kind of money. No one not named Rivera should make 14 mill/yr as a closer. I think we just got a alot better. Good job Ben.

Addition by subtraction. The Sox have lost nothing with the departures of Tek, Lackey, Drew, and Wakefield. These players were aweful on the field and offered nothing in the clubhouse in 2011. Surpassing Lackey and Wakes contributions in '11 will be Charington's easiest task.
I, for one, have high hopes for 2012 because....
1) Valentine will treat Spring training with more urgency than Tito and the Sox should hit the ground running instead of Tito's "easing" into the season. The Sox went 2-9 before their first back to back wins
2) The Sept collapse was historic....7-20....and unlikely repeatable.

Just playing .500 ball during these two time periods turns a combined 9-29 into 19-19....+10 wins.

Of course, expecting the Sox to go on win streaks like they had in late April-mid June can't be counted on either.

Players with upside potential from 2012...
1) Lester
2) Buchholtz
3) Crawford
4) Youk
5) Salty

I'm even adding
6) Gonzalez......he became a singles hitter for a big stretch concentrating on RBIs....then petered out down the stretch. The guy was great in 2011...but I foresee better power numbers

Unlikely to match 2011 #s

1) Ellsbury....can he be brilliant 2 in a row
2) Papi.....I still believe he is 57 years old

Bottomline....this team is very good, but had injury and focus issues. I see no reason for the Sox not to be a 95 win club. Will that be enough....that Tampa starting rotation is scary good and will be a huge problem for the entire AL

Last edited:
Aaron Cook signed to minor-league deal
Not a huge fan, but we'll see what happens with him.

why spend $15M on one pitcher when you can spend $1M on 15 pitchers. :)

not the Sox, but happy to see Montero out of the Yanks organization

wondering if the Sox were in talks w/Kuroda? if they're talking w/Oswalt?

not the Sox, but happy to see Montero out of the Yanks organization

wondering if the Sox were in talks w/Kuroda? if they're talking w/Oswalt?

they got a hell of a pitcher in return for Montero...young, cost control power pitcher. But hey, we invited Tek to ST! WTF???

they got a hell of a pitcher in return for Montero...young, cost control power pitcher. But hey, we invited Tek to ST! WTF???

sure -- you're going to get something in return for Montero

but I'd put my $ on Montero over Pineda, and I'm glad they didn't get Hernandez instead

(I'm fine w/Tek coming back, actually, as long as his play is limited.)

Once again, we are outmaneuvered by the Yanks. Funny, I don't hear any talk about luxury tax coming out of NY. Sox owners have a helluva nerve nickle and diming us fans with the highest ticket price in baseball. I've already decided I'm paying minimal attention to this organization this year. Fans would do well to boycott this ownership group and their inferior product. Yanks pitching staff is now light year better than ours. Disgusting. :bricks:

sure -- you're going to get something in return for Montero

but I'd put my $ on Montero over Pineda, and I'm glad they didn't get Hernandez instead

(I'm fine w/Tek coming back, actually, as long as his play is limited.)

the Yanks had plenty of DH type players so they flipped Montero for a #2 arm. The future past CC in the starting rotation is young and excellent. Great move. If Tek is on the Sox roster then he will just be Becketts personal valet...which is sad that he will take up a roster spot

"Free agent outfielder Cody Ross will sign with the Red Sox, CBSSports.com insider Jon Heyman has confirmed. Heyman has learned the contract is for one year and $3 million. "

"Free agent outfielder Cody Ross will sign with the Red Sox, CBSSports.com insider Jon Heyman has confirmed. Heyman has learned the contract is for one year and $3 million. "

damn, $3M is a little steep. He will be a good platoon player in RF and LF with a good bat against lefties.

Once again, we are outmaneuvered by the Yanks. Funny, I don't hear any talk about luxury tax coming out of NY. Sox owners have a helluva nerve nickle and diming us fans with the highest ticket price in baseball. I've already decided I'm paying minimal attention to this organization this year. Fans would do well to boycott this ownership group and their inferior product. Yanks pitching staff is now light year better than ours. Disgusting. :bricks:

you're upset over Kuroda?

does this post mean that we won't be hearing your griping this year, since you're boycotting the club? :)

the Yanks had plenty of DH type players so they flipped Montero for a #2 arm. The future past CC in the starting rotation is young and excellent. Great move. If Tek is on the Sox roster then he will just be Becketts personal valet...which is sad that he will take up a roster spot

yeah, but the DH types aren't going to be there very long, and Montero could wind up among the best hitters in the game

If Pineda winds up being a 1 / 2 type, absolutely, good move. I'm just not as sold on Pineda as I am on Montero.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back