PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox 2016 Regular Season Thread

Yeah the cubs have half our 2013 starters haha. Definitely needs a few new starters thou..Buchholz is useless and Joe Kelly is injured. Porcello is pitching well and if we can get E Rod back that will help

The local hacks were bemoaning the Ramirez bunt today ... funny stuff.

Later they moved on to a more worthy topic ... Clay Suckholz ...

Dude looks and pitches like crap ... wonder if he's still having trouble with the drink.

The local hacks were bemoaning the Ramirez bunt today ... funny stuff.

Later they moved on to a more worthy topic ... Clay Suckholz ...

Dude looks and pitches like crap ... wonder if he's still having trouble with the drink.
What a dumb bunt that was. typical flaky Hanley Ramirez. hes gonna cost the team down the rd with a bone head move like that when it really matters someday. Buchholz is another headcase. cant stand either one.

Yeah the cubs have half our 2013 starters haha. Definitely needs a few new starters thou..Buchholz is useless and Joe Kelly is injured. Porcello is pitching well and if we can get E Rod back that will help

Cubs have the best record in MLB right now (almost .700).

Mookie Betts ... 3 HR's so far tonight ... game in the 7th inning.

mookie betts hits 2 more HR's tonight and the game isn't even in the 5th inning yet. he is on fire like I've never seen. 5 HR's in 7 AB's last 1 and a 1/2 games. mind boggling.

joe kelly optioned to Pawtucket. :( he just cant seem to find any consistancy.

the white sox traded for james shields today. so cross him off the list. i was hoping the redsox might grab him.

Well too bad that James is going to Chicago!

Man Travis Shaw is in a huge slump. Let's hope bunting in to the double play is the end of that and he's back to his old self this next homestand.

both Price and Rodriguez are all arm out there...no push off with the lower body. They should be a 1000 times better than they have been. You would think with a master mind pitching guru in Farrell he could fix this issue.

I fear the suckage of the Saux pitching staff is a problem that can't be corrected for years.

1) The minor league cupboard is bare with any high end, upside talent 3+ years away
2) Horrendous contracts that will limit the front office's ability to buy their way out of this cluster*#k.
3) Dave Dombroski has one skill….deploying massive contracts to buy top end talent….and his record for savy/low cost pitching acquisitions is spotty. (He chose a $12 million Bucholtz when that $12 million could have purchased ANY comparable pitcher that would have performed better than the WORST pitcher in MLB). And the high end pitchers that do come available in FA too often have warts ….age/injury concerns/weakness in character/ spotlight shrinkage (Price) and these long term contracts necessary to buy these guys almost always hamstring teams in the latter years of these contracts.

The Saux are screwed….and DD knows this and I fear he will have to tradeoff Moncada …a future superstar…to salvage the pitching staff. My fear gets reinforced knowing how image conscious ownership is and I expect Pedroia with all his "grittiness" will become the defacto leader/face of the team once Ortiz departs. Moncada will be a far superior player but Pedroia stays at 2nd. Of course Pedey can't get the trade haul Moncada could.

Benetendi is less valuable in the open (90 starting OFers in MLB) market but probably more valuable to the Saux because he allows Pedroia to remain.

If I was running this team, knowing the depth of sucktitude of pitching depth, I bite the bullet and let the youngsters push out the war horses and my starting OF in '17 would be Benetendi/Bradley/ Betts with Bogarts and Moncada deployed in the middle of the infield. Let these guys continue to grow while the horrendous contracts slowly get pushed off the books. This is a long term project that can't be corrected by more giant/crippling contracts. The Saux are screwed….so let's root for the young guys instead of a bunch of short term solutions. And with Ortix gone, I just don't see this team ready to compete for a trophy anytime soon…so why pretend……..time to be patient.
This is my dream……but DD is here to win now….and cripple long term.

Trade moncada benentendi and anybody else you have to from the farm system. throw in JBJ and get long term young front of the rotation pitching. no rentals. the redsox have plenty of young guys. they dont need the pos prospects.

Trade moncada benentendi and anybody else you have to from the farm system. throw in JBJ and get long term young front of the rotation pitching. no rentals. the redsox have plenty of young guys. they dont need the pos prospects.
Those #1 types don't wiggle free in this era….too rare. This team needs to draft at the top of the heap for a few years unfortunately. In the mean time, give me a lineup of
1) Moncada (3rd base for now)……a true lead off threat
2) Benintendi….provides contact/average/ some power...enough of Pedroia destroying rallies with DPs and fielders choice groundouts
3) Bogarts…..assuming power bumps up. If not , swap with Benintendi
4) Betts……Papi's gone and Mookie's RBI/power production at lead off wets my appetite for more opportunities in the heart of the order
5) Han Ram for now…..just waiting for the Saux wretched contracts to diminish
6) Shaw
7) Pedroia (not that I want him on the roster)
8) any catcher (does it matter)
9) Bradley……the Saux were an offensive force when Bradley gave protection to the 7/8 hitters

This 9 man batting order will be light on power but exciting at Fenway. I can live with the Saux losing 8-7 every night for a couple of years. Given the wretched P staff including the bullpen, the pitching staff makeover will take years and history has shown throwing $$$ at this problem is a fail….it must be grown. Price and Porcello provide $50 mill per year of mediocrity. Han Ram and Fat Panda provide $38 mill per year of washed up decline. This formula doesn't work. Teams need to live through the pain and stop buying high priced bandaids that carry bacteria. The low level minors have a couple of studs…..but they need time. Let the Saux bottom out for real while letting the young bats mature. 2019 is my target.

Edit…I want to add……bringing Moncada and Benintendi up this summer and letting them prove they are MLB caliber will give the Saux more leverage in the trade market in the future. Prospect vs Proven……..the guess work has been removed, for the most part. Be patient DD and don't chase after unrealistic goals…like this team being championship quality. Sorry Papi.

Last edited:
Espinoza out and Pomeranz in ... I guess I like it - he seems to be a decent #3 at the worst and maybe a #2.
No telling for 3-5 years how good Espinoza will be and Wright has been shaky lately - I'd rather he is our #4 or #5.
It is an overpay of some sort but any pitcher now or at the end of the season will be an overpay anyway you look at it.
Glad we still have Benentendi and Moncada .... hopefully we are keeping them.

Great series v Giants. Well we were great on O last game. Hanley had a day out.

The red sox have so many nice young players who came up through there system. AS a yankee fan I am jealous, so afraid to call up our young guys. That being said this young core the red sox have reminds me of the 90's yankees. That being said the current state of pitching for the red sox looks like a recipe for a first round exit.

The red sox have so many nice young players who came up through there system. AS a yankee fan I am jealous, so afraid to call up our young guys. That being said this young core the red sox have reminds me of the 90's yankees. That being said the current state of pitching for the red sox looks like a recipe for a first round exit.

cant argue with that. Pitching coach needs to go and Farrell needs to pull his head out of his ass and put his acumen to good use.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back