PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Surprised Mike Martz agreed to be in this. Great seeing how salty he still is over the loss.
He was great. He said that he didn't say anything at the time about the Pats holding because he didn't want to be called a crybaby. So instead he cried about it 20 years later. LOL

If Martz wants to blame anyone for that loss he should consider himself and his pass-happy approach. There was a stretch early in the 2nd half where Marshall Faulk was starting to pick up steam and he didn't seem to touch the ball much after that.

excerpts of the tapes were played on tv by jay glazer. i am convinced that goodell leaked them to fox through his wife who worked at fox. they showed in one case, a filmer getting too into filming the cheerleaders,herm edwards wsving at the camera (supporting the knowledge it was a common practice) and the actual purpose which was a shot of the hand signal then a shot of the game clock so that the call could be synched with the time it was made AFTER the game. all of that was stuff that was hand written by staff members in the past. the only thing different was recording it instead.the fact that people thought this was some big time cheating thing is bizarre.
the destruction of the tapes actually made it seem MORE suspicious.
We have heard multiple times that filming the opposing coaches from a designated place on the sideline was legal -- true or untrue?

A cut to the game clock was at worst only a labor saving convenience, since cameras always have real time clocks superimposed so a recording of just the game clock gives you the mapping of real time to the game clock.

The only important Spy Gate claim was the unsubstantiated Tomase one that Bill was illegally filming the private pre-game practices of the Rams (and presumably other teams).

I recall much speculation that the harsh Spy Gate punishment was actually invoked to indirectly address widespread suspicion across the league that Bill was indeed guilty of illegally filming other teams' practices, a far more damaging accusation than that of the location of gametime sideline recording.

I enjoyed the first three episodes, but the start of episode four convinced me to stop watching.

It's bad enough coping with the venomous gloat suffusing this board; don't need more feel-bad blame-assignment/credit-taking for the team's historic success.

I think I'm out on this. These last 2 episodes it's clear it's a "For Your Consideration" for Tugjob Bobby to get into the HOF and a Bill hit piece . Spent more time on Kraft calling Bill a schmuck and him saying he shielded Bill than it did the '03-'04 SBs. I'm also gonna predict for Defamegate Kraft's gonna say Bill didn't stand up for the team or Tommy like the team and Tommy stood up for him being a schmuck on camerainwrongplace gate. Wild how they skipped Mangina getting caught filming the playoff game the season before.

The end of episode 4 really drove it into me, got Strahan saying the devil and it ending with Belichick smirking. Like come on can't get anymore on the nose than that.

Another thing there was rumors about Bill getting fired after the Germany game if they didn't win and dropped to 2-8. The announcement of this series came out 4 days after that Germany game. I think Bill was told he wasn't gonna be back but would finish out the season and then Kraft greenlit the documentary to be announced.

Wonder if they'll have anything on Bobby get his happy ending by a sex trafficking massage palor. Probably not but i'm sure they'll spend a good amount of time saying how Bill was warned about Hernandez , right.
After watching the first two episodes I was wondering why it was being called a Bill hit piece. The next two episodes showed why. Holy ****.

I'll watch the rest of the series and see if it continues to push me over to Bill's side. Kraft has definitely dropped a few pegs in my mind. A meddling owner is bad enough, but he's going beyond that.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Bill's bad experiences in Cleveland and here are worse because he refuses to tell his side of things.

Let's not pretend that players can't catch fire for a season and then flame out. Trading Bledsoe was taking a gamble on Brady for the long term. It worked out, obviously, but it was still a gamble.
Until this video I didn't realize just how impressed Bill was with Brady. It was definitely a gamble but Bill knew more than I did about Tom's big brain back then. I just thought that Tom did a few things better than Drew.

We have heard multiple times that filming the opposing coaches from a designated place on the sideline was legal -- true or untrue?

A cut to the game clock was at worst only a labor saving convenience, since cameras always have real time clocks superimposed so a recording of just the game clock gives you the mapping of real time to the game clock.

The only important Spy Gate claim was the unsubstantiated Tomase one that Bill was illegally filming the private pre-game practices of the Rams (and presumably other teams).

I recall much speculation that the harsh Spy Gate punishment was actually invoked to indirectly address widespread suspicion across the league that Bill was indeed guilty of illegally filming other teams' practices, a far more damaging accusation than that of the location of gametime sideline recording.
Well something was up.

Ernie: I can tell you stories.....I'm taking it to the grave.

I enjoyed the first three episodes, but the start of episode four convinced me to stop watching.

It's bad enough coping with the venomous gloat suffusing this board; don't need more feel-bad blame-assignment/credit-taking for the team's historic success.
Ignorance is bliss.

Thomas Gray

I don't remember it being that high, more like 50/50. Not trying to argue, just noting what my memory of it is. I think it was a forgone conclusion that after they won, it was Tom's job.

I am saying 70-80% wanted Brady and 20-30% wanted Drew. And there was debate on who to trade after that season. There was definitely a contingent who wanted to trade Brady and keep Drew. It may have been a foregone conclusion in that we knew which way Belichick was leaning, but I there was definitely a debate on which way to go.

But you have to remember it was 2001 and 2002. Local sports media was very different back then and this was firmly a Red Sox town. So about a week after Super Bowl, WEEI and most of the rest of the sports media had already moved onto pitchers and catchers and the Patriots were moved to the back burner. There was no 98.5 or even that crappy AM station Felger was on where you couldn't get reception after sundown. The big name sports writers in town were arrogant Red Sox guys who looked down at every other sport including football and the Patriots. Brady vs. Bledsoe and the Patriots in general weren't big stories come the end of February when they needed to debate four hours a day on the Big Show what the pitching line up would be in the regular season.

Last edited:

It was legal to film from a booth.

What wasn't said is that the memo with the new rule about not filming from the sidelines was sent out in 2006, not before. And of course, 2 times in 2006, other teams taped the Patriots. The Jets for instance filmed the Patriots, claimed they had permission, the Patriots denied they gave permission, and no one on the Jets could give a name for a person on the Patriots who gave them permission. How can they have permission to cheat anyway?

The Phins beat the Patriots in the same year 21-0 because they got hold of an audiotape that helped them decipher Brady's calls at the LOS. When the Patriots told the NFL about it, the NFL's Steve Alic replied (to the media), "That's football." Tale of the tapes: NFL says Dolphins did no wrong

It's no wonder that Belichick believed there were no teeth behind the NFL memo. Presumably, the Patriots didn't enter 2006 taping other teams and they only started when the NFL shrugged.

As for the Tomase claim, I found 2 things funny about it. One, the Rams said they only practiced red zone plays during their walkthrough. Of course, the Rams scored and were not stopped once in the red zone during the Super Bowl, so if the Patriots cheated, it didn't help them against the Rams. Two, the Panthers claimed they were cheated against the Patriots 2 years later in the Super Bowl because of Spygate tapes. However, the last time the Patriots played the Panthers prior to the Super Bowl, there coach was George Seifert. Were they using the same signals as the previous coaching staff?

Finally, teams really do spy on the practices of other teams. Remember this? PRO FOOTBALL: NOTEBOOK; Brady Says Ankle Is Fine (Published 2002)

There are articles out there about players saying that taping was a regular occurrence all over the NFL. I remember Rich Gannon talking about how he was picking up an opponent's signals an entire game and relaying them to a Kurt Schottenheimer. He said he was dead on most of the time.

I think Pioli’s comment about Bill distancing himself from the staff sets up the rest of the doc and ultimately to the downfall of Bill.

Curran, Holey, and Perry spoke about this very thing today. Bill started surrounding himself with family and friends. And one thing guys like Pioli and the rat Mangini did was challenge Bill.
Pioli was gone after 2008 season. Big loss imo.

It's no wonder that Belichick believed there were no teeth behind the NFL memo. Presumably, the Patriots didn't enter 2006 taping other teams and they only started when the NFL shrugged.
More of your made up crap. Patriots had a room full of tapes. That's why Mangini ratted Bill out. He knew about the tapes/practice while he was here.

Your Team Bill cult is unraveling.

Yeah I’ve read about this show, they gloss over the 2003/2004 back2back in like 30 seconds to dedicate a whole episode to Spygate. I’m good!

IMG_2322.jpeg

“I heard Gisele say, ‘That effin’ Belichick, he doesn’t treat my Tommy like a man,'” Kraft said, per the Boston Globe’s Ben Volin, via NESN’s Jason Ounpraseuth. “I realized how bad the situation was, and I said, ‘Tommy, if you want to go, I’ll work it out so you can go.'”

This **** sucks lmao. Don't get me wrong, I think the relationship was untenable in working conditions, and BB did NOTHING to help himself towards the end, but Kraft's revisionism is insufferable.

**** "Thunder" and **** that name while we're at it.

“I heard Gisele say, ‘That effin’ Belichick, he doesn’t treat my Tommy like a man,'” Kraft said, per the Boston Globe’s Ben Volin, via NESN’s Jason Ounpraseuth. “I realized how bad the situation was, and I said, ‘Tommy, if you want to go, I’ll work it out so you can go.'”

This **** sucks lmao. Don't get me wrong, I think the relationship was untenable in working conditions, and BB did NOTHING to help himself towards the end, but Kraft's revisionism is insufferable.

Blame it all on Yoko

Blame it all on Yoko

Will do!

But seriously. The post-mortem hang wringing is just an ugly look.

Hopefully I'm led to eat crow when the rest of this is refreshing and good, and is really about the football.

But she was right about Welker!!!

Will do!

But seriously. The post-mortem hang wringing is just an ugly look.

Hopefully I'm led to eat crow when the rest of this is refreshing and good, and is really about the football.
They're just going to breeze over the good to get into more of the BS

I'm going to take a wild guess that she never invited Bill over for dinner.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back