PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RE: Opening Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought the same, but think about it - they won't be allowed to give out the shirts on stadium grounds (Fraudger's friend Bob wouldn't allow that) and they might get kicked to the curb permanently by the team, which would not be great for their survival in the sports reporting world.
I am one who can't see the downside for Barstool to provide the clown shirts for Pats fans. It will literally be a 3 hour long NATIONAL commercial for a show that will likely end up being a top 25 most watched show of the year all for UNDER $150,000. Remember a 30 second spot for a normal NFL game costs Millions. This one would be a stand alone game, and every time there is a shot of the stands, your image would be viewed by a national audience in the only other stand alone NFL game other than the Superbowl

Now I understand that the Pats could never be linked to the logistical side of the this enterprise. But there ARE other ways to do this. Think of the story this would create for barstool. They already are marketing the shirts. I think the exposure would make it worth the price to ship the shirts to every Pats season ticket holder. I'm sure that list exists.

Or a more cost effective method would be to have volunteers pass out shirts to fans in the parking lots, and entryways to the stadium prior to the stadium. Barstool can do somethng like offer their shirts to Pats fans for a discounted rate of $3/shirt with the money going to the Jimmy Fund (so now the cost of the shirts and distribution becomes tax deductable). And I'm sure there are lots of other good ideas out there to do this.

Roger Goodell has lied to the public on a consistent basis about deflategate for over 2 years. He continued that lie right through the his superbowl press conference. He has impuned the integrity of every Pats player and their FANS for a decade now. He deserves more than the brief humiliation of just one or two loud bo0s over the course of the game. Wearing the clown shirts would be a 3 hour humiliation on a NATIONAL scale that would spin offf plenty of stories to explain why Pats fans did this and further expose the injustice.

Sorry but simply flasshing another ring in Frauder's face doesn't do it for me. Until someone from Barstool could explain to me what the downside would be, I think its a winner.

I am one who can't see the downside for Barstool to provide the clown shirts for Pats fans. It will literally be a 3 hour long NATIONAL commercial for a show that will likely end up being a top 25 most watched show of the year all for UNDER $150,000. Remember a 30 second spot for a normal NFL game costs Millions. This one would be a stand alone game, and every time there is a shot of the stands, your image would be viewed by a national audience in the only other stand alone NFL game other than the Superbowl

Now I understand that the Pats could never be linked to the logistical side of the this enterprise. But there ARE other ways to do this. Think of the story this would create for barstool. They already are marketing the shirts. I think the exposure would make it worth the price to ship the shirts to every Pats season ticket holder. I'm sure that list exists.

Or a more cost effective method would be to have volunteers pass out shirts to fans in the parking lots, and entryways to the stadium prior to the stadium. Barstool can do somethng like offer their shirts to Pats fans for a discounted rate of $3/shirt with the money going to the Jimmy Fund (so now the cost of the shirts and distribution becomes tax deductable). And I'm sure there are lots of other good ideas out there to do this.

Roger Goodell has lied to the public on a consistent basis about deflategate for over 2 years. He continued that lie right through the his superbowl press conference. He has impuned the integrity of every Pats player and their FANS for a decade now. He deserves more than the brief humiliation of just one or two loud bo0s over the course of the game. Wearing the clown shirts would be a 3 hour humiliation on a NATIONAL scale that would spin offf plenty of stories to explain why Pats fans did this and further expose the injustice.

Sorry but simply flasshing another ring in Frauder's face doesn't do it for me. Until someone from Barstool could explain to me what the downside would be, I think its a winner.
I have no idea why they aren't doing something like this. But last I heard from them they have moved onto the next thing.

I'll leave this here.

Goodell: Friendship with Kraft was never strained

Honestly, do we not have something better to do than analyze the Goodell-Kraft psychodrama. Maybe like wonder when JG is going to show TB12 the door.
Feel free to do whatever you want.
Apparently the best thing you have to do is read my post and respond that you wish you had something better to do.

As much as I would love to make a spectacle on opening night with he-who-shall-not-be-named, I'm going to bow out of the mix for that after coming to the realization that it's just not feasible. I cannot with a clear conscious start a crowdfund to bring in what will essentially require in excess of $50,000+ to pull off a stunt like that when there are certainly more people out there who could use that money for other far more important causes. There are people out there battling for their lives facing serious medical bills...I can't think of exerting the energy to raise money like that just for the sake of making fun of the commissioner and feel good about it.

Most of you know me enough to know that I'm not a self-promoter or into any type of publicity - which is to a fault and why this place still remains something that if you ask any random fan on the street, many people still after all these years don't know about it. But given what we have and all the great people here, I wouldn't trade that for anything. That approach works for some people and that's great. I just can't make myself feel good about taking that much money for something like that. Not when there are more important uses for it. If I'm going to exert that much energy to raise money, I'd rather do it for a better cause. This just, to me, isn't it.

Should I win the Powerball between now and September, I'll reserve the right to change my mind. But for now, that's where I'm at. My apologies to those who might be disappointed, but turning 40 has resulted in some things I've seen that have changed my perspective, and hopefully most of you will understand this decision.

Much respect .

tenor.gif

Most of you know me enough to know that I'm not a self-promoter or into any type of publicity

Remember that time you hired a blimp to broadcast how not into self-promotion you are?

Seriously, I agree with your stance. Boo'ing Roger is enough, we don't need some sort of over the top spectacle that detracts from the game.

The news comes as a disappointment to me because I wanted to see a grandiose F*** u welcome for the toad's first visit to Foxboro since Defamegate.
Having said that I completely respect your decision Ian and the reasoning behind it. I will rely on the Fans at the game to make my feelings and anger known on my behalf from across the ocean.
GO PATS

I respect the reasoning as well, although for me personally raising money to seek justice (in whatever situation calls for it) does not fall off my list of worthy endeavours.

Remember that time you hired a blimp to broadcast how not into self-promotion you are?

Seriously, I agree with your stance. Boo'ing Roger is enough, we don't need some sort of over the top spectacle that detracts from the game.
I know a "jester" from Rhode Island who would never agree that just booing Fraudger was ever enough.

In any case, Goodell is just the puppet. The other 31 (especially some like Mara) are the real enemies.
I would amend this to say the "The 32" becuase Kraft is a POS that bowed down. His main concern is to continue to make billions for the NFL, and had no intention to truly back "his" team. As for opening night, I will be there, all the way from California, in my #12 jersey, supporting the backbone of this dynasty, TFB.

I would amend this to say the "The 32" becuase Kraft is a POS that bowed down. His main concern is to continue to make billions for the NFL, and had no intention to truly back "his" team.

No disagreement there.

As an added note, I don't for a second buy that the 'glares' RK and JK 'gave Goodel during the trophy ceremonies of SB's 49 and 51 were sincere.

How shall I put this delicately?

You guys are being ****ies.
patriots-clown-shirt-super-bowl.jpg

It would have been shallow anyway since, in order to do it, people have to peddle millions of dollars into the NFL's pocket just to be at the game. The best revenge would have been to have opening night to an empty stadium while the spectacle took place outside. Since that won't happen, anything else would be ultimately pointless.

@neuronet care to expand on your disagreement?

KontradictioN, just to explain:
It would have been shallow anyway since, in order to do it, people have to peddle millions of dollars into the NFL's pocket just to be at the game. The best revenge would have been to have opening night to an empty stadium while the spectacle took place outside. Since that won't happen, anything else would be ultimately pointless.

They are going to be at the game anyway, as you pointed out. Hence, having some kind of organized protest during a game is the only way to have a realistic chance at getting exposure.

It isn't about hitting the NFL's bottom line (if that were the goal then yes it would be pointless). It is about confronting the ahole and calling him out on national TV. I agree it is superficial. I also agree with Ian that ultimately there are more important things in life. But that doesn't mean it is a bad idea. There are always more important issues you can focus on. You can say that about anything. On that night, for the people there, you aren't going to be in Cambodia feeding starving children. The people watching the game aren't in Haiti building housing for the homeless. How big a deal would it be to wear a shirt, or have a little sign? This is a sport, ultimately it is fun. Have fun with it.

This argument that we shouldn't do it because there are bigger moral dilemmas is a cop out. In logic it's the fallacy of relative privation.

People are going to spend that money on beer or a Patriots shirt anyway. Why not spend it to say F You to Fraudger? What he and the league did to Tom Brady and his name was ********, and this is the perfect chance to publicly get closure with a full-throated F YOU. Instead to hide behind this logic of "there are bigger problems"? I don't buy it. I'd rather say, full-voiced, that we had, and still have, Tom's back, and we didn't forget.

Like Matt Patricia. Sure he could have worn a 'Save the Whales' shirt. That's a more important issue. Instead he wore a shirt that said "F you rodger' because that was relevant in that context. In this context, at this game, this would be an appropriate response. Even though yes, of course, in the world there are bigger fish to fry.

This is the Robert Kraft response to having Goodell come to your house. If Goodell comes to my neighborhood, I'm not putting out the red carpet. I'm putting up the spike strips.

Note just because Ian isn't going to do something, doesn't mean that other people here can't organize something, or other fans elsewhere can't informally pull something together. And you know that the fans at the game that night will not let Roger forget how much he is hated. And I hope to hell the camera operator doesn't forget. :) So this isn't really a jab at Ian (it isn't a non-jab at Ian either :)), but it is a jab at anyone displaying any conciliatory tone toward Rodger. F that. You must have amnesia.

Despite everything I've said, I do agree with Patsdeb, this will likely have to happen at a grass roots level. Folks spending their own money to get a few (or a few dozen or hundred) shirts to pass around at tailgates or something. Maybe low-stakes gofundme campaign or something. Anything truly large-scale meant to envelope the entire stadium, would probably get shut down by Kraft and Co.. So in that sense I think Ian's decision is sound even if I disagree with the reasoning.

If you think a group of billionaires are going to even notice what the normies do you are way off base.

50k people could be saying Roger is a twat for 60 minutes, and after the game Roger would just say the could seemed really into the game then head home to eat a $4k hotdog.

If you think a group of billionaires are going to even notice what the normies do you are way off base.

50k people could be saying Roger is a twat for 60 minutes, and after the game Roger would just say the could seemed really into the game then head home to eat a $4k hotdog.

Does the family that confronts a criminal in court do it to influence the criminal and change his heart? It's not the point!

Does the family that confronts a criminal in court do it to influence the criminal and change his heart? It's not the point!
Agreed - I am wearing the shirt for me and for TFB. I'm not going to change anything, but I am also not going to pretend I don't care what a fraud the commissioner of the league is.

KontradictioN, just to explain:

They are going to be at the game anyway, as you pointed out. Hence, having some kind of organized protest during a game is the only way to have a realistic chance at getting exposure.

It isn't about hitting the NFL's bottom line (if that were the goal then yes it would be pointless). It is about confronting the ahole and calling him out on national TV. I agree it is superficial. I also agree with Ian that ultimately there are more important things in life. But that doesn't mean it is a bad idea. There are always more important issues you can focus on. You can say that about anything. On that night, for the people there, you aren't going to be in Cambodia feeding starving children. The people watching the game aren't in Haiti building housing for the homeless. How big a deal would it be to wear a shirt, or have a little sign? This is a sport, ultimately it is fun. Have fun with it.

This argument that we shouldn't do it because there are bigger moral dilemmas is a cop out. In logic it's the fallacy of relative privation.

People are going to spend that money on beer or a Patriots shirt anyway. Why not spend it to say F You to Fraudger? What he and the league did to Tom Brady and his name was ********, and this is the perfect chance to publicly get closure with a full-throated F YOU. Instead to hide behind this logic of "there are bigger problems"? I don't buy it. I'd rather say, full-voiced, that we had, and still have, Tom's back, and we didn't forget.

Like Matt Patricia. Sure he could have worn a 'Save the Whales' shirt. That's a more important issue. Instead he wore a shirt that said "F you rodger' because that was relevant in that context. In this context, at this game, this would be an appropriate response. Even though yes, of course, in the world there are bigger fish to fry.

This is the Robert Kraft response to having Goodell come to your house. If Goodell comes to my neighborhood, I'm not putting out the red carpet. I'm putting up the spike strips.

Note just because Ian isn't going to do something, doesn't mean that other people here can't organize something, or other fans elsewhere can't informally pull something together. And you know that the fans at the game that night will not let Roger forget how much he is hated. And I hope to hell the camera operator doesn't forget. :) So this isn't really a jab at Ian (it isn't a non-jab at Ian either :)), but it is a jab at anyone displaying any conciliatory tone toward Rodger. F that. You must have amnesia.

And, outside of maybe making you feel better, it's ultimately a pointless exercise in futility. The only way to hit the NFL, and Goodell by extension, IS by hitting them in the bottom line. Outside of that, you're essentially giving the NFL, and good by extension, hundreds of dollars of your hard earned money to boo him. He wins in the end. Want to say F-U? Don't go to the game. Any of you. That won't happen, though, so all this talk about how to "hit him where it hurts" is a complete waste of time. Hell, for $44M, I'd gladly walk onto the field and get booed by thousands of Pats fans. I'd even incite more booing and may even go as far as taking my shirt off at the 50 yard line and spinning it around my head like a helicopter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back