PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-Assessment: After a Good Draft/FA, These Players are maybe on the Proverbial Hot Seat

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Patriots went into free agency and the draft with team issues at QB, offensive weapons in general, and inability to stop the run in the defensive front-7.

In free agency got a ton of expensive pass catchers including 2 TEs and 2 WRs to pair with Meyers who is a 1000 yard WR talent. Also got a big-name OLB, DT, and versatile DBack.

With a strong draft this week including decent new potential now at QB, DT/DE, Edge/OLB, and RB, among others, here are a couple players I would identify as on the proverbial hot seat and if they can't produce or stay healthy, should be shipped out, or held but demoted in favor of other players. Focusing more here on 2+ year vets, I'm going to give 2020 rookies a pass as they are still on cheap contracts or emerging situations.

NKeal Harry: Lowest catch rate on the team and only averages 9 yards a catch. Can't get open, can't beat CBs, or stay healthy. Hard to see him getting snaps over a half dozen other better players. Can maybe get a low pick if we trade him now before he becomes a worthless asset.

Ja'Whuan Bentley: Disappointing run stopper. Takes poor angles. Also not reliable or dependable. Multiple new LBs drafted or signed suggest Bentley is on his way out (not to mention Winovich or Uche in a year, if they still can't set the edge).

JoeJuan Williams: He's an odd man out in a strong secondary. He's not going to beat out Dugger or Philips for the SS role or LB/big-nickel, and he isn't beating out the cornerbacks. He doesn't really fit anywhere.

Sony Michel: After a decent rookie campaign running behind an absolutely dominant OLine, elite FB and elite TE, he may be on the way out now with Stevenson stepping in with Harris starting and James White for 3rd down.

Isiah Wynn: Undeniably skilled but has missed 70% of his 48 possible NFL games. OLine constantly shifting around to compensate because he's unreliable. The Pats have to decide on his expensive $10M 5th year option soon, he'll get it because he's talented, but I would say his long-term extension LT seat is warm if he gets hurt again.

Jarrett Stidham: Seems like a nice guy. Hasn't proven himself. 4 INTs , two of them pick-6's isn't great. He may not have a chance with Mac and Cam here. Not sure if he has any trade value either.

Last edited:
Harry and Williams don’t seem any worse after this draft with no new challengers. Bet key is feeling the heat. With Stidham, the writing was on the wall after the chiefs game.

True. Harry and Williams' fates were sealed during free agency when the Pats finalized their WR corps, TE corps, and secondary.

This reminds me, they're young but TEs Asiasi and Keene obviously have the door shut on an open path now, unless they develop tremendously and overtake someone.

I don’t know if it is 100% true or not, but I remember one of the mediots saying that Stidham was “relieved” when Cam was brought in last year. I think that was an instant “ok we’re done with this guy” moment if it was true.

How does this draft put Wynn on the hot seat, when they didn’t address the offensive line until the 6th round? If anything, this draft solidified his spot on the team.

I think they have to decide on his option within 2 weeks and I don't think he'll be moved. So I agree he has a chance this year to prove he can be dependable. His talent is such that they didn't bring in an obvious person in the draft but they did get Trent Brown who started at LT here, and we know Onwenu can play RT. I think Wynn has the best lane of the others listed because he can obviously play well when he's healthy. He's like the JimmyG of offensive tackles....

The Patriots went into free agency and the draft with team issues at QB, offensive weapons in general, and inability to stop the run in the defensive front-7.

In free agency got a ton of expensive pass catchers including 2 TEs and 2 WRs to pair with Meyers who is a 1000 yard WR talent. Also got a big-name OLB, DT, and versatile DBack.

With a strong draft this week including decent new potential now at QB, DT/DE, Edge/OLB, and RB, among others, here are a couple players I would identify as on the proverbial hot seat and if they can't produce or stay healthy, should be shipped out or demoted in favor of other players. Focusing more here on 2+ year vets, I'm going to give 2020 rookies a pass as they are still on cheap constracts or emerging situations.

NKeal Harry: Lowest catch rate on the team and only averages 9 yards a catch. Can't get open, can't beat CBs, or stay healthy. Hard to see him getting snaps over a half dozen other better players. Can maybe get a low pick if we trade him now before he becomes a worthless asset.

Ja'Whuan Bentley: Disappointing run stopper. Takes poor angles. Also not reliable or dependable. Multiple new LBs drafted or signed suggest Bentley is on his way out (not to mention Winovich or Uche in a year, if they still can't set the edge).

JaJuan Williams: He's an odd man out in a strong secondary. He's not going to beat out Dugger or Philips for the SS role or LB/big-nickel, and he isn't beating out the cornerbacks. He doesn't really fit anywhere.

Sony Michel: After a decent rookie campaign running behind an absolutely dominant OLine, elite FB and elite TE, he may be on the way out now with Stevenson stepping in with Harris starting and James White for 3rd down.

Isiah Wynn: Undeniably skilled but has missed 70% of his 48 possible NFL games. OLine constantly shifting around to compensate because he's unreliable. The Pats have to decide on his expensive $10M 5th year option soon and I would say he hasn't earned it.

Jarrett Stidham: Seems like a nice guy. Hasn't proven himself. 4 INTs , two of them pick-6's isn't great. He may not have a chance with Mac and Cam here. Not sure if he has any trade value either.
Tuesday for 5th year options.

Since the Pats waited until the 7th round to draft an OL, and since Brown is a FA next year, how can they not pick up their LT's 5th year for $10?

Also, the draft didn't hurt Harry at all. Or Williams (but yes, FA hurt him a lot with Mills). And McGrone isn't playing until next year, almost for sure, so they took no linebacker. Bentley gets another year.

Uche has had one year, with no preseason, and was taken at 60 in round 2. Put the clippers away.

I think they have to decide on his option within 2 weeks and I don't think he'll be moved. So I agree he has a chance this year to prove he can be dependable. His talent is such that they didn't bring in an obvious person in the draft but they did get Trent Brown who started at LT here, and we know Onwenu can play RT. I think Wynn has the best lane of the others listed because he can obviously play well when he's healthy. He's like the JimmyG of offensive tackles....

That option decision was known 3 days ago. The fact that they didn’t spend a high pick on the line tells you (well, me at least) that they’re leaning towards picking it up. They brought in Brown, yes, but that’s a clear replacement for Thuney even if there’s some player role shuffling involved.

You know who’s on the hot seat as a result of this draft?
- Stidham - you nailed that one, although we all figured that to be the case anyhow. I expect he’ll make the team and we’ll go with 3 QBs again.
- Michel - agree with you here, but I doubt he’ll be traded. Just that he’ll need a good season and a cheap contract to be re-signed. Pats like having 4 RBs, for now Stevenson replaces Burkhead.
- Newton - The obvious one here. He plays poorly in camp and Jones picks things up quickly, he’s benched.
- Winovich - Perkins directly takes snaps from him unless he steps up. Doubly so based on the rumors that came out after the season.

I think Bentley was already on the hot seat with the McMillan signing, but the McGrone pick doesn’t help his cause either. Silver lining for him is McGrone’s health.

I don’t know if it is 100% true or not, but I remember one of the mediots saying that Stidham was “relieved” when Cam was brought in last year. I think that was an instant “ok we’re done with this guy” moment if it was true.

I think his fate was sealed when he went to Texas for a month over the summer while Cam was at Gilette 20 hours a day every day.

That option decision was known 3 days ago. The fact that they didn’t spend a high pick on the line tells you (well, me at least) that they’re leaning towards picking it up. They brought in Brown, yes, but that’s a clear replacement for Thuney even if there’s some player role shuffling involved.

- Stidham - you nailed that one, although we all figured that to be the case anyhow. I expect he’ll make the team and we’ll go with 3 QBs again.
- Michel - agree with you here, but I doubt he’ll be traded. Just that he’ll need a good season and a cheap contract to be re-signed. Pats like having 4 RBs, for now Stevenson replaces Burkhead.
- Newton - The obvious one here. He plays poorly in camp and Jones picks things up quickly, he’s benched.
- Winovich - Perkins directly takes snaps from him unless he steps up. Doubly so based on the rumors that came out after the season.

I think Bentley was already on the hot seat with the McMillan signing, but the McGrone pick doesn’t help his cause either. Silver lining for him is McGrone’s health.

All good points to consider. I'm not sure if Stevenson replaces Burkhead as Stevenson is a 230 pound back, but you may be right when I think about what kind of playcalls Burkhead was used in. I see this as encrouching on Sony's snaps as well. Don't see Sony being extended.

Bentley's snaps go way down with Hightower back. Even if Perkins or the other LBs (Jennings, Winovich, Uche) don't directly challenge ILB snaps, don't see Bentley getting a lot of snaps this year.

Tuesday for 5th year options.

Since the Pats waited until the 7th round to draft an OL, and since Brown is a FA next year, how can they not pick up their LT's 5th year for $10?

Also, the draft didn't hurt Harry at all. Or Williams (but yes, FA hurt him a lot with Mills). And McGrone isn't playing until next year, almost for sure, so they took no linebacker. Bentley gets another year.

Uche has had one year, with no preseason, and was taken at 60 in round 2. Put the clippers away.
LET"S LOOK AT EACH
1) Harry is the #4 WR until someone beats him out. Gunner could do that and also be the PR. But, we would likely carry 5 in that case,
2) Bentley is in trouble.
3) Williams to be a backup CB. Mills is our backup to McCourty. Duggar and Phillips are the other safeties. We have 3 "starting" corners. Williams has actually moved up to our #4 CB, with no Jason McCourty. If we re-sign McCourty or bring in another, then maybe he's in trouble.
4) Michel is Mitchel. He is one of our RB's for his 4th year.
5) Wynn must be celebrating. He is almost assured to have his option picked up, since there are no top draftee at OT, and the only free agent is a one year rental.
6) Stidham is our #3 QB if we carry 3. This was going to happen as long as we picked up a QB. We would have the same situation if we drafted a second tier QB.

LET"S LOOK AT EACH

5) Wynn must be celebrating. He is almost assured to have his option picked up, since there are no top draftee at OT, and the only free agent is a one year rental.
If Brown plays well, I expect him to resign for a couple of years. He loves it here and I'm not sure any other team would pay him well for his services after the last two...err, flops.

Wynn is happy, though, I'm sure.

Harry may suck, but he certainly seems to be a better fit with a qb who will throw with accuracy and into contested windows, then Cam does. He also was a very good blocker last year. You never know how he does in practice, but unless he is really bad, I can't see him getting cut this year. Having a wr on the field who can block on a team that does a lot of running isn't a bad thing.

Harry may suck, but he certainly seems to be a better fit with a qb who will throw with accuracy and into contested windows, then Cam does. He also was a very good blocker last year. You never know how he does in practice, but unless he is really bad, I can't see him getting cut this year. Having a wr on the field who can block on a team that does a lot of running isn't a bad thing.

He wasn't a fit with a QB who throws with accuracy and the greatest of all time though... ?

He wasn't a fit with a QB who throws with accuracy and the greatest of all time though... ?
If you mean 2019 Brady, then...NO. Came in late, when Brady was pissed off, got on Tom's bad side quickly, and never got a chance.

I suspect that we will being in a veteran or two to compete in camp with Meyers, Harry and Gunner. But, Harry should be happy with his situation for now. He will get a chance. Also, he has been given a vote of confidence, with no draftee other then a 7th.

Plus he missed half the season with an injury. You really aren't helping yourself with all these threads and posts, chill out man. I kind of figure you are a kid, so just take a breath and step away from the keyboard.

Plus he missed half the season with an injury. You really aren't helping yourself with all these threads and posts, chill out man. I kind of figure you are a kid, so just take a breath and step away from the keyboard.
Yep, no OTAs with grumbling Tom, gets hurt early, comes back after AB breaks the damned team, and can't pick things up quickly enough (and gets lit up for a pick on a play that should have been PI, iirc).

Tom spends the last games grumbling and shouting and locking in on one guy, JE. ****show.

I suspect that we will being in a veteran or two to compete in camp with Meyers, Harry and Gunner. But, Harry should be happy with his situation for now. He will get a chance. Also, he has been given a vote of confidence, with no draftee other then a 7th.

I don't see this as a vote of confidence. They already spent a hundred million dollars on 4 free-agent pass catchers across WR and TE so even without a high draft pick Harry is at best the #4 WR right now and dropping.

Last edited:
Plus he missed half the season with an injury.

All the excuse making for Harry is wearing thin. AB was able to come in mid season, learn the playbook, immediately get chemistry with Brady. Don't try to paint Brady just to defend Harry. Even an UDFA in Meyers got more confidence in Brady in the exact same 2019 season. The excuses for Harry are getting crazy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back