PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Edwards would cost a one and three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice player. Had a good year last year. As others have pointed out, had a good number of hits and pressures last year. Don't know how he is run defense. Not sure how good he is w/ the double team either...

A 1st and 3rd seem too rich IMO...

Easily one of the most balanced defensive ends in the league. He is GREAT at stopping the run. It is probably the only reason he is still starting. Brian Robison is an amazing pass rusher behind him, but Edwards makes too many plays against the run to be sitting on the sideline.

I want Aaron Kampmann

To me this guy is the best player to fit in with this team and would instantly be a great team player IMO

Easily one of the most balanced defensive ends in the league. He is GREAT at stopping the run. It is probably the only reason he is still starting. Brian Robison is an amazing pass rusher behind him, but Edwards makes too many plays against the run to be sitting on the sideline.

Good feedback. Looks like he was a 3-down player there so what you say makes sense.

$14 million reasons. I think we are officially out of the Peppers invitational "Julius gets even richer" Sweepstakes! He turned down $14m from the Panthers in a last ditch effort.
DW Toys

First of all you arent Julius Peppers or his agent so you dont know he wants 14 million a year, second of all even if he was demanding 14 million it isnt coming out of your pocket or anybody else pockets except for the Krafts. He could of turned down carolinas offer for the simple fact that he just does not want to play their anymore even if they offered him more than that.

Also Peppers puts up significantly better numbers than Edwards without nearly the amount of talent he has around him compared to the 3 all pros that line up besides Edwards.

Last edited:
To show just what you do know DW Toys.

Adam Schefter has reported that he has been tendered at "first round level"

Not a 1 and a 3.

I want Aaron Kampmann

To me this guy is the best player to fit in with this team and would instantly be a great team player IMO

Hates the 3-4 with a passion. Why he's leaving Green Bay.

He's a Giant, Skin or Bear come Friday night.

Jared Allen and co. were drawing all the attention, which makes Edwards look better than he actually is.
Not worth a 1st round pick from us, no less a 1 and a 3.
If Peppers is too expensive, then look to the draft for an answer.

Last edited:
not worth it

To show just what you do know DW Toys.

Adam Schefter has reported that he has been tendered at "first round level"

Not a 1 and a 3.

Wow, Thanks for the information. They were originally discussing a one and three tender.
You have your "nasty guy" thing working tonight?
That has been changed over the last few days. Sorry to offend you and ruin your day, sir.
DW Toys

Edwards actually only got a first round tender. Makes him more intriguing.
Twitter - Schefter

Delco Times - Eagles Interest In Edwards

The Eagles are expected to make a push to acquire defensive end Ray Edwards, who had four sacks for the Vikings in the playoffs last season.

The Vikings gave Edwards, a fourth-round pick out of Purdue who turned 25 a couple of months ago, a first round tender of $2,521 million. The Vikings would get a first-round pick if they declined to match offers for Edwards, who had three sacks in the playoff win over the Cowboys and dropped Drew Brees once in the NFC title game loss to the Super Bowl champion Saints.

Then again, teams could work out a different compensation package for Edwards (6-5, 268) providing the Vikings are in the mood.

The Eagles own the 24th pick in the first round.

NFL sources expect the Eagles to be active traders in the weeks leading up to and through the April 22nd draft.

ProFootballTalk - Eagles, Saints Could Make Run at Edwards

If Edwards was available for a 2nd round pick via a sign and trade, would you be interested? I think I would take a look at it. He seems like a great fit at SOLB with his athleticism and ability to stop the run. DW has said Belichick was interested in him in the draft, so maybe it's a possibility.

Last edited:
Edwards actually only got a first round tender. Makes him more intriguing.
Twitter - Schefter

Delco Times - Eagles Interest In Edwards

ProFootballTalk - Eagles, Saints Could Make Run at Edwards

If Edwards was available for a 2nd round pick via a sign and trade, would you be interested? I think I would take a look at it. He seems like a great fit at SOLB with his athleticism and ability to stop the run. DW has said Belichick was interested in him in the draft, so maybe it's a possibility.

There was a very obscure debate about either he a Ninkovitch as a possibility for the Pats (4th round I believe) BB liked them both but would have opted for Ninkovitch actually (super combine stats-better than Edwards) but they did not pull the trigger in the fourth and the Vikings grabbed Edwards and in the fifth Ninkovitch was taken before the Pats by the Saints. Well BB eventually found Ninkovich.

Nincovich-4.79 40

AND SOME INTERESTING STATS I FOUND for 2006 COMBINE ON BOTH:
Broad jump
Kamerion Wimbley Florida St. 10-foot-9
Manny Lawson NC State 10-foot-4
Mathias Kiwanuka Boston College 10-foot
Mario Williams NC State 9-foot-10
Rob Ninkovich Purdue 9-foot-8
Jeremy Mincey Florida 9-foot-8
Ray Edwards 9-foot-6

20-yard shuttle
Mathias Kiwanuka Boston College 4.13
Manny Lawson NC State 4.18
Rob Ninkovich Purdue 4.18
Jeremy Mincey Florida 4.25
Ryan Lacasse Syracuse 4.30
Mario Williams NC State 4.36

60-yard shuttle
Manny Lawson NC State 11.08
Rob Ninkovich Purdue 11.33

Three-cone
Manny Lawson NC State 6.90
Rob Ninkovich Purdue 6.96

Vertical
Edwards 39 inches -

RAY EDWARDS CAN SKY

It's safe to say it would cost more than a #2 pick. Perhaps a #2 and a player. Would I trade #22 for Edwards who is proven versus Ordick as some poster so eloquently told me he would take over Brandon Marshall...Yes please I will take Edwards. Ordick might be an All Pro someday but three years would be about right. Can we wait?

DW toys

There was a very obscure debate about either he a Ninkovitch as a possibility for the Pats (4th round I believe) BB liked them both but would have opted for Ninkovitch actually (super combine stats-better than Edwards) but they did not pull the trigger in the fourth and the Vikings grabbed Edwards and in the fifth Ninkovitch was taken before the Pats by the Saints. Well BB eventually found Ninkovich.

Nincovich-4.79 40

Broad jump
Ray Edwards 9-foot-6

20-yard shuttle

60-yard shuttle

Three-cone

Vertical
Edwards 39 inches -

RAY EDWARDS CAN SKY

It's safe to say it would cost more than a #2 pick. Perhaps a #2 and a player. Would I trade #22 for Edwards who is proven versus Ordick as some poster so eloquently told me he would take over Brandon Marshall...Yes please I will take Edwards. Ordick might be an All Pro someday but three years would be about right. Can we wait?

DW toys

I don't think I would give up #22 for Ray Edwards. I'd probably give it up for Marshall b/c he's an elite talent.

It's an interesting scenario b/c Edwards seems to be the BB prototype at OLB. Big, fast, athletic, good pass rusher, very good at stopping the run, good at getting off blocks. I think he could come in an be a very good strongside OLB for us. He's still only 25, just heading into the prime of his career. He also gives you versatility b/c he can play in both 3/4 and 4/3 packages, which we switched back and forth from last year at times.

I know a lot of people think he was a product of playing with a great DL. While it definitely helped him, I think the talent is still there. Not to mention he'd be playing with a pretty damn solid line with Warren at LDE and Wilfork at NT.

The only hang up is what would the price be? I cannot see NE giving up a first rounder for anyone to be honest. I would do it for a 2nd round pick, but I don't know if the Vikings would. I wouldn't want to cough up much more than a 2nd unless the package is a 2nd + 5th rounder or later.

I know a few Vikings fans who are pretty high on Brian Robinson at DE. They drafted him in the 4th round of 2007 and supposedly he's just as good as Edwards as a pass rusher, possibly better, but not as solid against the run. Maybe the Vikings would be willing to deal him for the right price if they feel Brian Robinson can be a starter.

Nincovich-4.79 40

Broad jump
Ray Edwards 9-foot-6

20-yard shuttle

60-yard shuttle

Three-cone

Vertical
Edwards 39 inches -

RAY EDWARDS CAN SKY

DW toys

As per usual, your post makes no sense. First, you say that Ninkovich and Edwards were comparable coming out of school and that Ninkovich may have been the better athlete. Then, you say that you would trade the 22nd pick in the draft for Edwards (!). This is a guy who plays on a line with possibly the best edge rusher AND the best interior rusher in the NFL. What exactly has he done to be worthy of a 1st round pick?

As per usual, your post makes no sense. First, you say that Ninkovich and Edwards were comparable coming out of school and that Ninkovich may have been the better athlete. Then, you say that you would trade the 22nd pick in the draft for Edwards (!). This is a guy who plays on a line with possibly the best edge rusher AND the best interior rusher in the NFL. What exactly has he done to be worthy of a 1st round pick?

As usual you did not check the story. Ask the Vikings (who put the first on him), the Redskins and the Eagles. All better suited to judge talent than you or I.

I never said Ninkovich was the better athlete. I just said look at the combine stats. It was interesting. Edwards was drafted higher. I know that.

Yes. I will say it because you are confused. I would trade our #22 for a proven commodity in Edwards who is just reaching his prime versus an Ordick who is....who knows? Like someone previously said Wilfork and Warren are not chopped liver. So let me get this straight. You are dissing Wilfork and Warren, right?

What is up with all you cranky guys?

Let me guess. You would not do it? One of the best young DE/OLBs (in our case maybe) in the NFL for a back half of the first round pick versus an unknown rookie?
I respect your opinion Cousin.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back