PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Edwards would cost a one and three

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins,
Would you send a one and a three to the Vikings for DE/OLB? Ray Edwards? For the Vikings he is probably going to have to play 2010 on a one-year deal. He will get a first-and third-round tender. We can surely trade down to get a third if needed.

Ray Edwards will collect a $3.168 million base salary. My theory is with Peppers rumors flying around that he just turned down $14m to resign again with the Panthers and refused, He's going to cost almost as much as Brady and Wilfork together.

He's had 21.5 sacks in 4 years and only started two of those years. He had 8.5 sacks this year. He's had 9 PDF. He's only 25. He is 6' 5" and 268lbs so setting the edge seems realistic (30 reps at the combine). He was looked at as a possible Patriot Draft pick 5 years ago by BB. Even if we doubled his salary and he picked up ten sacks say, what would be the optimum for Peppers 12-13? That costs $14m plus for a 30 year old guy?

Edwards was productive in sacks and pressures.

I am thinking Willie Mac elephant OLB. Do we take that #1 pick and go after Kindle? Ordick? Hughes?, Dunlap?, Jason Pierre-Paul? or a Graham with the hope that they will turn out? or do we give up that first for a game proven commodity that might be an exact fit?

DW Toys

Very interesting article from PFF: This is posted from "The Falcoholic": First the formula, from PFF:

Total Sacks + (Total Hits x 0.75) + (Total Pressures x 0.75) = Pass Rushing Points
Pass Rushing Points/ Number of Snaps Rushing Passer x 100 = Pass Rushing Productivity Rating

The (x100) is just so it's a decent number (somewhere usually between 1 and 15 or so), instead of 0.095 or something similar. The big question is whether QB Hits and QB Pressures are really three-fourths as good as a Sack. I tend to agree with them that disrupting the QB is nearly as important as getting the actual sack. What do you think? Is 75% ok? Half?

The other issue is the numbers themselves, especially the subjectivity of QB Pressures. For this PRP Rating to be useful for us, we have to assume that their game charters are very accurate on their totals for QB Pressures (it's not an official NFL stat) and that their snap count is also very accurate.

You should really read the article at PFF, but for comparison's sake, here's their Overall Top 10 (well, 11 with a tie), minimum 200 Pass Rush snaps:

1. Dwight Freeney IND 13.7 (4-3 DE)
2. Lamarr Woodley PIT 12.4 (3-4 OLB)
3. DeMarcus Ware DAL 12.0 (3-4 OLB)
4. Robert Mathis IND 11.2 (4-3 DE)
5. Elvis Dummervil DEN 10.9 (3-4 OLB)
6. James Harrison PIT 10.8 (3-4 OLB)
7. John Abraham ATL 10.5 (4-3 DE)
8. Aaron Kampman GB 10.2 (3-4 OLB)
9. Leonard Little STL 10.2 (4-3 DE)
10. Ray Edwards MIN 10.1 (4-3 DE)
11. Tamba Hali KC 10.1 (3-4 OLB)

Cover-2 teams with two big time pass rushing DE's, for comparison:

Colts - Dwight Freeney (13.04) and Robert Mathis (10.81); both in the Overall Top 10 (I'm not sure why my numbers come out slightly different, though).

Vikings - Ray Edwards (11.37) and Jared Allen (9.67); Allen just missed the Top 10.

Panthers - Julius Peppers (9.47), Charles Johnson (8.33, in 264 snaps), and Tyler Brayton (7.41 in 381 snaps).

MLB Pressures for example: Patrick Willis (9.19), Gary Brackett (8.60), Antonio Pierce (8.12), and Jon Beason (7.61).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, was this directed for one of your relatives?

Cousins,
Would you send a one and a three to the Vikings for DE/OLB? Ray Edwards?

No.

And as long as Brad Childress is HC of the MIN VIK, neither will BB.

He's overrated. There are 3 other guys on the D-line that opposing teams were more concerned about. Good for him for taking advantage of what was given to him, but he's overrated.

1st and 3rd for Ray Edwards....

What drugs are you on?

For an extra 3rd and a 6th, we could have got Jared Allen.

Edwards does well because Allen and the Williams Wall have got 5 players blocking them (including a TE/RB chipping Allen) and it leaves a 1 on 1 vs Edwards.

If he was the primary pass-rusher on a team, he'd be nothing.

So we want to spend a 1st and a 3rd on a guy we could have drafted a couple of years ago in the 4th because he's spent some time not learning how to play OLB?

Unfortunately, that sounds like the strategy we've been using for about 5 years.

Why use a 1st and a 3rd and pay the dude when you can have peppers without giving up any picks. Cuz

So we want to spend a 1st and a 3rd on a guy we could have drafted a couple of years ago in the 4th because he's spent some time not learning how to play OLB?

Unfortunately, that sounds like the strategy we've been using for about 5 years.

That's a good way to think about it. I agree. That's not the Patriots way.

Nice player. Had a good year last year. As others have pointed out, had a good number of hits and pressures last year. Don't know how he is run defense. Not sure how good he is w/ the double team either...

A 1st and 3rd seem too rich IMO...

Looked good for them in their playoff run but a 1 and a 3 seems too rich for me.

Not taking anything away from the guy but I would like to see how he performs without the likes of a Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams beside of him.

Last edited:
Cousins,
Would you send a one and a three to the Vikings for DE/OLB? Ray Edwards? For the Vikings he is probably going to have to play 2010 on a one-year deal. He will get a first-and third-round tender. We can surely trade down to get a third if needed.

Ray Edwards will collect a $3.168 million base salary. My theory is with Peppers rumors flying around that he just turned down $14m to resign again with the Panthers and refused, He's going to cost almost as much as Brady and Wilfork together.

He's had 21.5 sacks in 4 years and only started two of those years. He had 8.5 sacks this year. He's had 9 PDF. He's only 25. He is 6' 5" and 268lbs so setting the edge seems realistic (30 reps at the combine). He was looked at as a possible Patriot Draft pick 5 years ago by BB. Even if we doubled his salary and he picked up ten sacks say, what would be the optimum for Peppers 12-13? That costs $14m plus for a 30 year old guy?

I am thinking Willie Mac elephant OLB. Do we take that #1 pick and go after Kindle? Ordick? Hughes?, Dunlap?, Jason Pierre-Paul? or a Graham with the hope that they will turn out? or do we give up that first for a game proven commodity that might be an exact fit?

DW Toys

Very interesting article from PFF: This is posted from "The Falcoholic": First the formula, from PFF:

Total Sacks + (Total Hits x 0.75) + (Total Pressures x 0.75) = Pass Rushing Points
Pass Rushing Points/ Number of Snaps Rushing Passer x 100 = Pass Rushing Productivity Rating

The (x100) is just so it's a decent number (somewhere usually between 1 and 15 or so), instead of 0.095 or something similar. The big question is whether QB Hits and QB Pressures are really three-fourths as good as a Sack. I tend to agree with them that disrupting the QB is nearly as important as getting the actual sack. What do you think? Is 75% ok? Half?

The other issue is the numbers themselves, especially the subjectivity of QB Pressures. For this PRP Rating to be useful for us, we have to assume that their game charters are very accurate on their totals for QB Pressures (it's not an official NFL stat) and that their snap count is also very accurate.

You should really read the article at PFF, but for comparison's sake, here's their Overall Top 10 (well, 11 with a tie), minimum 200 Pass Rush snaps:

Colts - Dwight Freeney (13.04) and Robert Mathis (10.81); both in the Overall Top 10 (I'm not sure why my numbers come out slightly different, though).

Vikings - Ray Edwards (11.37) and Jared Allen (9.67); Allen just missed the Top 10.

Panthers - Julius Peppers (9.47), Charles Johnson (8.33, in 264 snaps), and Tyler Brayton (7.41 in 381 snaps).

MLB Pressures for example: Patrick Willis (9.19), Gary Brackett (8.60), Antonio Pierce (8.12), and Jon Beason (7.61).

Wouldn't mind having the guy, but a first and third is far too much to ask.

If those reports are true, then we can all safely say Peppers is going to the Redskins. Wow:eek:

edwards, will not be the same player once Jared Allen, and the two best DT's in the NFL pat. and kevin williams are not playing next to him.

Nice player. Had a good year last year. As others have pointed out, had a good number of hits and pressures last year. Don't know how he is run defense. Not sure how good he is w/ the double team either...

A 1st and 3rd seem too rich IMO...

ProFootballFocus - DE Rankings

I take these rankings with a grain of salt, but according to them Edwards was in the top 20 amongst DE's vs the run. That's pretty good.

I really like Edwards and think he would fit great in the Willie Mac role. I was hoping Minnesota would try to be a little cheap and slap the 2nd round tender on him thinking that people just assume he is a product of a great D-Line, but they didn't.

A 1st and a 3rd is way too expensive for a guy that has never played OLB in his career. If he got the 2nd round tender, I would definitely consider it b/c I think he could excel in our defense. Oh well.

DW, do you have any links about the Pats being interested in Edwards in the draft that year? I don't really remember hearing his name associated with the Pats. I'd be interested to read up on what Belichick thought of him.

Why use a 1st and a 3rd and pay the dude when you can have peppers without giving up any picks. Cuz
$14 million reasons. I think we are officially out of the Peppers invitational "Julius gets even richer" Sweepstakes! He turned down $14m from the Panthers in a last ditch effort.
DW Toys

ProFootballFocus - DE Rankings

I take these rankings with a grain of salt, but according to them Edwards was in the top 20 amongst DE's vs the run. That's pretty good.

I really like Edwards and think he would fit great in the Willie Mac role. I was hoping Minnesota would try to be a little cheap and slap the 2nd round tender on him thinking that people just assume he is a product of a great D-Line, but they didn't.

A 1st and a 3rd is way too expensive for a guy that has never played OLB in his career. If he got the 2nd round tender, I would definitely consider it b/c I think he could excel in our defense. Oh well.

DW, do you have any links about the Pats being interested in Edwards in the draft that year? I don't really remember hearing his name associated with the Pats. I'd be interested to read up on what Belichick thought of him.

I remember reading it but I will see if I can find it.
DW Toys

Cousins,

DW Toys

Good Lord....Here we go with "sexy stats" trap. The fact Vikes have had Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Jared Allen being the main focus have anything to do wit Ray Edwards' "dominating stats" ???

There's a reason Mike Vrabel had 12+ sacks in '07, and it wasn't because he was the second coming of LT.

I can't really imagine going after any of the 1st td tenders, let alone a 1st and a 3rd--but that's just my opinion.

Regardless, you did a nice job of analyzing the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots