PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing RapSheet: Agholor to Pats

Byrd is obsolete in that he’s a free agent and isn’t getting re-signed.

He still could come back. doesn't hurt to have Depth and a guy who performed in this offense. 600 yards last year. Especially if we let Harry go. you would look at a depth chart of

Agholor/Bourne/Meyers/Edelman/Byrd

He still could come back. doesn't hurt to have Depth and a guy who performed in this offense. 600 yards last year. Especially if we let Harry go. you would look at a depth chart of

Agholor/Bourne/Meyers/Edelman/Byrd
He could come back but it doesn’t seem likely to me:

- They saw what Byrd could do as their deep threat and decided it wasn’t enough so they spent money on his replacement in Agholor.
- That’s on top of the other three guys they added to bolster the passing game (Smith, Henry, Bourne).
- Byrd earned over a million in a season for the first time in his career last year and finished it with a career best season. The market is dry this year and he may need to take another one year prove it deal with a chance to cash in next year. He’s not going to get 600 yards again with all the guys ahead of him in New England. He’d need to find another team where he can be their 3rd or 4th receiving target.
- The Pats have 10 draft picks and could very well just draft a WR who would be a cheaper depth option than Byrd.

I think they saw how the raiders used him as a deep threat and are going to try and use him that way. We already have alot of slot and medium field guys.

I think he will be used all over the field given his versatility. They can also copy some of the stuff Reid is doing with Hill. I would imagine McDaniels and BB thought they were getting someone like Agholor when they got Cooks until he turned out to be useless in traffic.

Also copy other plays like this

Edelman for me gets the Troy Brown / Bruschi treatment, he can stay as long as he wants even though he's definitely in the twilight of his career.
It's beating a dead horse but that's exactly what they should have done with Brady. They would have salvaged the 2020 season by competing for the division and at least getting into the postseason. And then you would be putting pieces around Brady who is still playing at an elite level as opposed to a completely washed up Newton who is very likely to lower the return on all of these FA signings.

Now you are moving the goalposts saying Henry/Smith aren't going to have as good stats as Gronk/Hernandez.

You DONT bring in 2 good pass catching tight ends unless you intend to run a Tight end centric offense. Just admit you are reaching here to just try and be negative about any move the Patriots make.
They're going to run a TE centric offense and everyone including every defensive coordinator will be aware of that. Newton is not adept at diagnosing defenses or reading through his progressions and then he has a slow release with limited accuracy to a receiver that he's probably staring down. This is my main point, Newton is going to f*ck the whole thing up.

If the combination of Aghalor and Hunter/Jonnu can change the geometry of the defense, I'll take it.

Regards,
Chris

Top 5 WR that hit the market

AAV
Golladay- $18m per ($40m gtd)
Davis- $12.5m per ($27m gtd)
Samuel- $11.5m per (?)
Agholor- $11m per ($16m gtd)
Fuller- $10.6m (1 year. full gtd)

He was fair market value
Exactly. Who on this list (besides maybe Golladay) is a better “receiver of the football” than Agholor?? They’re all fine players, but Samuel has been mostly a gadget player & a number 3 in CAR to Moore & Anderson (& really a #4 due to McCaffrey if you really want to be technical). Of course, he could develop but he’s not a better WR than Agholor right now. What the hell has Corey Davis even done considering his draft position? He’s okay & has nice size @ 6’3 209, but that’s about it. I’ve NEVER seen Davis show up in a big reg season/playoff game. Name one!..I’ll wait....Hell, he lost his “number 1” spot to rookie AJ Brown in 2019. He’s no alpha. Watch the tape. Fuller is just a deep threat that can’t stay healthy. My point; none of these dudes are “so far ahead” or even better receivers of the football than Agholor. In fact, he may be the best WR (besides Golladay) on this list. Yes, he does drop the occasional ball, but so did Edelman and many others. None of these dudes besides Golladay are even Pro-Bowlers, so where’s the distinction? Just admit that many of you are worried about the “name & draft status” as opposed to watching film & evaluating routes, route depth, mental ability, hands, ability to play multiple positions, fit, options etc...he can run crisp routes from multiple positions, catch & has deep speed. What more do you want? Agholor is a fine receiver. Stop *****ing.

Last edited:
We have a few posters on the board who are too lazy to do their own study, or to even google players stats. They look at what Ben Volin posts and immediately say, oh we way over paid for so and so. Chicken littles. I usually figure Ben Volin is a complete idiot and if he says something the opposite is usually true.

Barnwell hates the signing, so I like it even better now

not only is Agholar's salary fair in terms of the market, his cap hit is only 7 mil this season

At least this Video Show him getting separation which is good. I think catcjing is easier to fix then separation isn't it?

Golladay caught just 20 passes for 338 yards and two touchdowns in five games played this past year, as COVID-19 and then a hip injury forced him to miss the majority of the season.
Agholor caught 48 passes for 896 yards and 8 touchdowns in 16 games.

Catch percentage 2017-2020
2017 Golladay 58.3 Algholor 65.3
2018 Golladay 58.8 Algholor 66
2019 Golladay 56 Algholor 56.5
2020 Golladay 62.5 Algholor 58.5

So one season out of the 4 seasons Golladay has played he has had a better catch percentage than Algholor. Last year Golladay was injured and Algholor had a strong season.

Golladay signed a 4 year $72 million dollar contract with $40 million guaranteed
Algholor signed a 2 year $22 million dollar contract with $18 million? I think guaranteed.

If you bothered to look at stats, you might actually learn something.

Perhaps you can share Golladay's highlights from games 6-16 last season, oh wait he didn't play.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back