PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing RapSheet: Agholor to Pats

I was at a level 9 of excitment after the news, but with some time, I think Ive come down a point or so

The feeling that we overpayed Agholor and Bourne is starting to creep on me... and I cant ignore that Jonnu Smith is being paid like a super prime TE, even though he hasnt show this level yet

I liked the Judon signing, but i feel like an off-the-line LB who can go west-east was more of a need (Hightower is more of a in-between the numbers kind of player)

Anyways, i loved that BB was aggressive in FA. Every area of need has been addressed basically and now we can really start to look for good deals in this depleted buyers' market
Bourne's contract is not an overpay. If you look at the deal it's reasonable.

Judon seems like one but he's a 2 -time ProBowler in his prime. Seems like market to me.

Mills and Henderson are not big money deals and they've been productive.

Godchaux seems like too much but if he stays healthy it's a good deal.

On the surface, Pats bought high with Agholor and Smith. No question.

Whatever. In terms of talent, the Pats were near the bottom of the NFL. That clearly changed yesterday
Wise seems like too much but it's not craaaaazy money. He's improved and clearly other teams wanted him.

Last edited:
Hopefully Philly was just using him wrong. its not normal to go from around 300-400 yards to near 1000.

Did the raiders do anything different with him?
Their QB play wasn't helping.

Hopefully Philly was just using him wrong. its not normal to go from around 300-400 yards to near 1000.

He had two 700+ seasons with philly but I think philly used him more inside and lv more outside

Playing games with stats I see. Lol. Now use your eyes and stop looking at the stats. He threw 16 deep passes and we know he can't thrownit more than 40 yards
Don't let the facts trip up your butthurt.

Yeah. They had Waller and defenses had to keep a safety deep at all times to respect Ruggs’ speed. They lined Agholor up as the flanker, opposite Ruggs and he enjoyed single coverage in man and a good amount of zone for most of the year. Unless we have another move in mind for a receiver that’s sure to demand double coverage, he won’t have that luxury here. Very head scratching contract with the options that were still out there.

- Anderson/Godchaux = doesn't move needle but not many players would to be fair given the position.

Are you serious ? Have you seen how we got trashed against the run last year ? Anderson/Godchaux might be one of the biggest needle movements right after Jonnu Smith that happened so far.

Add in Judon as an actual EDGE defender and we might actually be back to leveraging our secondary this year because it won't be 70% of 3rd and shorts that they are facing.

Don't let the facts trip up your butthurt.
He threw 16 deep passes for comparison Brady through something like 58....and the patriots were a play action team, meaning everyone was stopping the run first, second, and third....but, lets not take any of that into consideration.

Part of being a thrower is recognized the play is open and throwing the freaking ball

And this much cap space..
Correct. They're in a very similar position as 2001 and this is what we were hoping they'd do this year.

Are you serious ? Have you seen how we got trashed against the run last year ? Anderson/Godchaux might be one of the biggest needle movements right after Jonnu Smith that happened so far.

Add in Judon as an actual EDGE defender and we might actually be back to leveraging our secondary this year because it won't be 70% of 3rd and shorts that they are facing.
If we trade Gilmore our secondary could take a step back. I don’t think Jackson is a #1 corner and McCourty is declining.

Like the move, but we aren’t done yet! We need a true #1 and then it will be a successful off season !
It's already been successful. Most of the holes have been filled.

We can afford to lose Burkhead although of course I'd rather not. Burkhead is an amazing depth piece if you don't overexpose him and we literally got to the Superbowl on the back of having his fresh legs at the end of the game a couple years back.
We'll need Burkhead if we lose White.

Wise seems like too much but it's not craaaaazy money. He's improved and clearly other teams wanted him.

If I read Reiss correctly Wise signed effectively a 2 year deal with 10m guaranteed and about 2m in active roster bonuses.

Everything after is non-guaranteed or becomes guaranteed when the league year starts (we will find out at some point).

Why is this relevant in the Agholor thread ? Because the media guys kept saying his contract has a "base value" of 22m. But looking at the way less than half of Wise's "base value" is guaranteed I am now not sure if there is any reason to assume that all of the 22M Agholor is supposed to be getting is guaranteed. It might just be a one year deal in terms of guarantees.

If I read Reiss correctly Wise signed effectively a 2 year deal with 10m guaranteed and about 2m in active roster bonuses.

Everything after is non-guaranteed or becomes guaranteed when the league year starts (we will find out at some point).

Why is this relevant in the Agholor thread ? Because the media guys kept saying his contract has a "base value" of 22m. But looking at the way less than half of Wise's "base value" is guaranteed I am now not sure if there is any reason to assume that all of the 22M Agholor is supposed to be getting is guaranteed. It might just be a one year deal in terms of guarantees.

Exactly. Just gotta see the structure of these deals and understand what's real.

I think we will learn the Agholor deal is a lot more reasonable.

Agholor has had a career year last year. You don’t really know if it’s his ceiling or if he can still progress. He was nothing special in Philly. It’s only a two year deal so nothing risky if it doesn’t panned out.

golladay was injured last season but he is a multiple proven 1000+ yds WR.
True, good that it's not high risk.

It's fair to say he struggled 2 years ago, and that Golladay was proven 2 years ago. It's also fair to say 1 year ago Agholor is a 900 yard 8 TD deep threat while Golladay is now potentially an expensive, injury risk product of Matt Staffords arm. Depends how you want to look at it I suppose.

I like to stay optimistic that with our top O line and his own speed, Agholor will have the opportunity to get deep, with Smith, Meyers/Bourne drawing coverage. Fingers crossed it's the symbiotic effect for all our receivers.

True, good that it's not high risk.

It's fair to say he struggled 2 years ago, and that Golladay was proven 2 years ago. It's also fair to say 1 year ago Agholor is a 900 yard 8 TD deep threat while Golladay is now potentially an expensive, injury risk product of Matt Staffords arm. Depends how you want to look at it I suppose.

I like to stay optimistic that with our top O line and his own speed, Agholor will have the opportunity to get deep, with Smith, Meyers/Bourne drawing coverage. Fingers crossed it's the symbiotic effect for all our receivers.

I think what goes under a little bit with Agholor is that he is not just a deep burner one trick pony. To me he compares favorably with Cooks. Brandin is a better deep burner, but was almost useless on crossers and anything that involved navigating traffic. Agholor -- who played a lot out of the slot for Philly -- doesn't have that limitation. McDaniels will have a lot of fun scheming up things this year.

Quite honestly the main concern with the signing is the amount of dropped balls that has followed him through his career.

Think you gotta read the question. It was asked if I looked at these moves on a different team. I finished off my comment saying given the context of the Patriots situation I think these moves are great.

Think you gotta read the question. It was asked if I looked at these moves on a different team. I finished off my comment saying given the context of the Patriots situation I think these moves are great.

My bad.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back