PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

He wasn't the head honcho, BB took everyone down last two years.
We’ll see. Hopefully, it works out for Mayo.
It is easy to look good when someone else is held accountable. I think they should have went with someone outside the organization. Having a succession plan is good when someone is retiring or moving on. Seems like a douche move when someone is fired. It creates an impression that someone wanted the top person to fail.

Wow, OK, seems like a great choice, but it will come down to the GM duties. I suspect that we not have any more off-the-wall first round picks like Harry or Strange. I suspect, but have no proof, that Mayo will be hands-off as far as GM decisions, which is probably a good thing.

In fact, we don't even know if the people saying this just don't have sour grapes and knew that if Mayo became head coach that they would be out of a job (see Joe Judge who undermined Mac Jones in the press too).

Ooh, I hadn't considered that before. Something to ponder.

I doubt Mayo will have a huge role in determining offseason roster moves.
We can only hope we designate a legit GM - in title and duties.
Part of the messiness with Bill's staffs was all this "random coach" title stuff.
We need a business oriented guy from the scouting world (with success) to purge and pick this roster.
Getting rid of Zappe & Mac and landing a great QB1 is going to be the reason Mayo wins, or is fired before 3 seasons.

I would think they should... but is the NFL really going to punish them for hiring a minority candidate in house?
Mayo had a clause in his last contract that stated he was the succession plan when BB was done. The NFL allows this and you don’t have to interview anyone.

More like 2 months ago.
Anyone with ears and eyes could see things were headed thgis way with BB. Even though we hoped against hope it would come to pass. Between Kraft's quotes last year about not being happy about the playoff drought. To Kraft's body language by midseason. And Mayo's canceled HC interviews last year and adjusted contract.

Curran's a decent reporter (although kind of a goof), but he's no oracle. I think there were people in this forum, with no connections, that months ago, predicted the events of the last two days.

Mayo had a clause in his last contract that stated he was the succession plan when BB was done. The NFL allows this and you don’t have to interview anyone.
Ok that's news to me, but good to know.

I am going to try to remain cautiously optimistic. Really don't know what to make of it. Will he be another Bill disciple and try to be like Bill and fail or will he try to be his own man? The one thing that gives me optimism is he is the first head coach member of the Belichick coaching tree that was a former player. He has a far different perspective of the game than guys like McDaniels or Patricia.

I just hope he doesn't believe in the Belichick philosophy of having a strong defense and an offense that is efficient and doesn't make mistakes and waiting for the other team to make the mistakes. I just don't think that works in today's NFL.

I think we need to know more about who will be the GM, will the Pats spend money now that Belichick is gone, and who are the coordinators and will they be able to have say in their own staff.

I did hear Breer compare Mayo to McVay. He said that the Rams saw McVay as an innovative head coach and thought he could be a really successful head coach one day. Back in 2017, they weren't 100% sure he was ready for the job, but they felt that if they didn't make the move then, they would never have a chance to hire McVay as head coach. It worked out really, really well for the Rams. Hopefully it will work out for the Pats.
Yeah, I can't count the number of times Bill went on record to say his coaching philosophy was built around trying to score as few points as possible and still win.

Last edited:
a rookie QB with a rookie HC, what can go wrong?

If a certain point of next season we are 3-10 again there's a risk of breaking another QB mentally
It worked out for the Texans. I know very unlikely for us.

Yeah, I can't count the number of times Bill went on record to say his coaching philosophy was built around trying to score as a few points as possible and still win.

That isn't what I said at all. An efficient offense doesn't mean score as few of points as possible. It means scoring points without turnovers and huge risks. But that style of offense doesn't score a lot of points compared to other wide open systems unless you have a QB like Brady who can be extremely efficient while still make big time plays.

You know that Belichick would much rather win a 6-3 game where the defense shutdown the opposing offense while turning the ball over a few times and the offense doesn't make any mistakes than a 34-31 game where his QB throws a pick or two and the opposing QB passes for 340 yards and 3 TDs.

So we go from Parcells to Pete to BB To Mayo?! Call me underwhelmed. And still keeping all of these losers in coaching and drafting roles? This is not going to end well. Well, there's always the Celtics. Sigh...

I understand the lamentations about not doing a full coaching search (which Kraft said he was going to do, but obviously did not do), but if you feel extremely sure that you have "the guy" already here then what is the point?

The reason you should do it, even if you have your guy, is because of what you can learn from outside candidates. Even if they only gave you some food for thought on the way they would do things compared to how we do things, it would be worth it.

What you do need to be careful of though is running a "sham" search where you interview these guys only for it to leak out later that you were never going to hire them. My football team here in Australia did that and it has hurt us a lot since.

I don't believe we would be able to do a full search because everyone either knows or would end up knowing it was a sham as Mayo was our guy all along and they all just wasted their time.

I remember a quote from Ben Coates regarding playing under Pete Carroll, about how it was so much more comfortable and relaxing playing under Carroll, after chafing under Bill Parcells.

So, how did those Carroll coached teams do?

Sorry Ben, but you are being paid very well to put up with a hard ass coach.

We fans don’t care if you are comfortable under the HC, we just care that you win.
Honestly, they did better than you remember.

The more I think about this and the more I read Mayo is a great choice. It was widely reported he was the heir apparent after Mr. Kraft promised that role to him when the time came, if he had reneged it may have effected veteran players. Players are responding positively to the move.
When you move into a position of power you disregard what was not working and strengthen what did work.
My only question is will there be a role for "Miss Mayo"???
Well first, someone should let her know that her likes are public.

Peter King looks and sounds like somebody killed his dog talking about Pats hiring Mayo.

Sounds so bitter.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back