PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

It certainly will be interesting. Steve reportedly is good at strategy/in-game tactics (play calling) but isn't adept at conducting meetings, expressing himself and handling players, which explains why he and Mayo split DC duties. Whether he can deliver in a full-blown DC job is an open question.
I hope Steve stays because he's good at his job and it would be really interesting to see him grow out of the shadow of his dad, but if he doesn't, I think Demarcus Covington is ready for the role too.

Either way, the offensive and special teams staff changes are a lot more important.

Nothing agaist mayo but it seems they did BB dirty by signing im has a future HC even with Bill around. BB was a lame duck coach walking all season and maybe mayo is curran's source.

I hope Steve stays because he's good at his job and it would be really interesting to see him grow out of the shadow of his dad, but if he doesn't, I think Demarcus Covington is ready for the role too.

Either way, the offensive and special teams staff changes are a lot more important.

Word is Mayo and Steve are close. It would be a good chance for Steve to get out from under his father's shadow. If he ever wants to be a head coach, he has to get away from his father and prove himself on his own.

Nothing agaist mayo but it seems they did BB dirty by signing im has a future HC even with Bill around. BB was a lame duck coach walking all season and maybe mayo is curran's source.

He's definitely his source. He used to work with him on his dumb TV show which led to him getting the job with the Patriots in the first place.

I think this means that Belichick has no intention of coaching past getting Shula's record. I am guessing that Kraft let Belichick know he was grooming Mayo to be the successor. I don't think the plan was for it to happen this year. The complete collapse of the team exponentially sped up the timeline.

So mayo gives Steve DC duties?!? We may have our top 3 coaches all be rookies?? That’s gonna be something

If true then you have to give him a chance , the owner has decided on this route so thats it. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. I guess the attention will now be firmly on the OC decision. I am also interested to see which coaches go with BB and who will be replaced.

Absolutely awful to not even conduct a search. Absolutely awful to hire a coach without even having a GM.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I think we are in for a long 5-10 years.

Congrats to the anti-Belichick mafia on here: you got what you wanted; now you’re going to get what you deserve.

This narrative will never work because the team sucked and was bottom of the barrel ass cheeks with Bill here. So regardless of how this works out with Mayo, you can never point back to how things were before Bill left and miss anything about it. If we suck with Mayo, it will just be more of the same of what we were getting with Bill anyways. Sorry bud.

I think this means that Belichick has no intention of coaching past getting Shula's record. I am guessing that Kraft let Belichick know he was grooming Mayo to be the successor. I don't think the plan was for it to happen this year. The complete collapse of the team exponentially sped up the timeline.
I think 4 years ago BB might have expected next year (also last of his contract) to be his last coaching, so it’s just one year removed from that (unexpectedly it’s a lot of wins removed from it too)

So mayo gives Steve DC duties?!? We may have our top 3 coaches all be rookies?? That’s gonna be something

Steve's responsibilities wouldn't change much. He was calling the plays during the game already and he was involved in creating the game plans.

the Belichick kids are going to be interesting. From what I’ve heard, Mayo and Belichick are good friends. Not sure if blood is thicker than water here but Steve has a chance to do make a name for himself if he stays rather than follow his father. I’d be blown away if Mayo offers the youngster the dc job.
I'd be very okay with that. I think Steve Belichick is going to be a fine DC wherever he winds up. Bill got all the credit, but Steve and mayo were running that defense and making guys like Alex Austin (please resign him) shine.

Wade and Bryant, Tavai and Bentley, Peppers...all of them improved greatly under that direction.

If Mayo and Steve are close and on the same page, he'd be a great choice.

On the other side of the ball, please blow it the f&$# up! (Almost literally) CANNOT get worse.

Mods merge with the other thread if you want but it's official

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Word is Mayo and Steve are close. It would be a good chance for Steve to get out from under his father's shadow. If he ever wants to be a head coach, he has to get away from his father and prove himself on his own.
If Steve's weakness is conducting meetings, he can probably lean on Covington more for that, and he himself (Mayo) also would assist though his time will obviously now be spread out across all units. It would be nice to retain Steve's strategic knowledge and slowly build up his personal skills. Maybe some sort of Covington/Steve co-DC situation like Mayo and Steve had going.

Doubt that. It’s almost always money. Rare case that a free agent might sign in part to get a chance championship or to play with a guy like Brady, but those aren’t true here
Sure, but if I'm a WR or a TE, watching the last few years, the last place I'd want to be is New England for long-term financial health. And it's not just because of the QB.

Steve is basically the DC right now.

Steve's responsibilities wouldn't change much. He was calling the plays during the game already and he was involved in creating the game plans.
Steve is probably still under contract, so if Mayo wants to keep him, it might not be Steve's choice to make. Same with BOB.

Mods merge with the other thread if you want but it's official

This is not the worse thing in the word Kraft have a really good hiring track record. Initially I didn't think BB was a special hire 24 years later what the hell do I know. Moral of the story let's give Mayo a chance this Team now Needs a mind that thinks in this century. I think this current Team with better Talent on Offense wins Ten games next year we have a Good Defense already.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back