PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

The Patriots were required to conduct at least one minority outside interview, correct?
Not when an assistant coach had language in his contract appointing him the HC coach-in-waiting. Came out yesterday afternoon that Mayo had that language - that was the big contract change they made last off-season.

Doomers out in full force I see.

Every coaching hire is a gamble and even prior SB winners face planted in new jobs a bunch of times, so just chasing "experience" ain't it. Anybody remember Jimmy Johnson's Dolphins run? Mike Shanahan in Washington? No?

Conversely John Harbaugh jumped from DB coach to Ravens head coach and won a title. Hell, Belichick himself was a failed HC retread in 2000.

a rookie QB with a rookie HC, what can go wrong?

If a certain point of next season we are 3-10 again there's a risk of breaking another QB mentally
Assuming it’s a rookie QB. They could choose to go with a retread - Cousins, Mayfield, Jimmie G - and cash in the #3 pick to rebuild the rest of the offense.

It's Elliot Wolf. Curran already reported that. So it's internal - the guy who's run the last 2 drafts.
The guy that ran the last 2 drafts was Matt Groh not Eliot Wolf. And Eliott Wolf isn’t a Belichick disciple.

my concerns:

OC....OC....OC

front office personnel, though it sounds like they've leaked their choice already

and how this went down this year; ownership's willingness to undercut BB with media leaks.....this does not bode well for future endeavors.....

I have a gut feeling this hire had something to do with BB's ultimate departure. A couple of days ago, there were rumors BB was willing/wanted to stay and even relegate personnel decisions. I think Kraft was trying to promote Mayo too high within the coaching tree, something that probably didn't sit right with BB. Ultimately after a couple of meetings, they two realized they will not be able to reach an agreement, and the rest is history.

I'm really intrigued about Kraft being so high up Mayo's ***. I just can't fathom how you make a 4-yr LB coach a head coach overnight, and without a GM and HC interview due diligence first, to boot.

I am a Pats fan for life so I am hoping for the best
Although I think this kid is way over his head and Hate the leaking crap. I certainly don’t see his everyday work and thinking process. He may be a keeper
The Krafts better hope so. For 24 years they had the luxury of having BB who was known to run the whole show, which took the pressure off of them. Now the Bullseye is totally on their chest. They can’t blame anyone else from here on in.

my concerns:

OC....OC....OC

front office personnel, though it sounds like they've leaked their choice already

and how this went down this year; ownership's willingness to undercut BB with media leaks.....this does not bode well for future endeavors.....
It’s bizarre. Patriots went 4-13. There’s no need for media leaks to justify change.

Said it in the other thread, my biggest worry is the staff side of things. Who and how is he going to fill the staff and what does his staff structure look like? Is it going to be like the 49ers or are we looking like BB had his staff structure? Also who could Mayo want to be the GM and how do those two want the front office to look like and how they go about building that out?

Move discussion about Mayo being "the guy" here since it is official now.

Really surprised this was made official before a GM was named but I like it.

Fix this offense coach.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t like it. Here a list of why.

1. Hiring a coach without hiring a gm first doesn’t make me optimistic that things will improve on the personnel end (which was the biggest issue for the Pats)
2. If they are just going to hire internally they should have just kept Bill. Not a lot of success from Belichick coaching tree guys once they leave Bill.
3. This makes me believe that they will keep on a lot of the other coaches currently under contract. pats need new outside ideas or the franchise will continue to stagnate.
4. Kraft needs to go on a spending spree,l this offseason to right the ship. Signing an internal guy before hiring a big name gm doesn’t make me think he will shell out the dough needed.

will be a learning curve. In game management is key in close games, Belichick was great at it in his prime(having Brady certainly helped). So many coaches screw up with late game decisions, time out usage, clock mgmt.

Really surprised this was made official before a GM was named but I like it.

Fix this offense coach.
I think he will lean on O'Brien. If the word about BOB wanting to change up the staff but being denied by Bill is true, I am sure Mayo knows it and will let it happen. That is why there was some mud-slinging about Mayo midseason, guys knew if Mayo got the job then they'd be getting the axe.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back