PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

Absolutely awful to not even conduct a search. Absolutely awful to hire a coach without even having a GM.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I think we are in for a long 5-10 years.

Congrats to the anti-Belichick mafia on here: you got what you wanted; now you’re going to get what you deserve.
@Tunescribe agreeing with this post after lecturing everyone for four years about optimism, buying into the organization, and urging us to move on and support the team

Absolutely awful to not even conduct a search. Absolutely awful to hire a coach without even having a GM.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I think we are in for a long 5-10 years.

Congrats to the anti-Belichick mafia on here: you got what you wanted; now you’re going to get what you deserve.
Can't get worse than 4 wins fam

How I will really feel is whatever happens next.

If Mayo delegates roles over to some new faces in the building, and it looks like the franchise is taking a new approach to things, I like it.

If Mayo keeps everything intact like it was, just minus Bill, then I’m worried.

I don’t think the track record in the nfl for these kind of moves has been very good. Long time coach replaced by one of his assistants.
Ray Handley, Al Groh, Les Steckles, Richie Petibone come to mind. On the + side was George Seifert. Can anyone think of other examples?
No but I hate it

Is it the guy I wanted…no. But I’m gonna support him anyway beacause I loved him as a player and do think he can do a good job. Vrabel falling into your lap though is tough to move past. But that’s over now, Mayo is our guy. Let’s Go Pats!!

I wanted Vrabel and have concerns that Mayo is another Bill disciple (who have all face planted)
I honestly think that Vrabel is closer to Bill in style than Mayo is.

All the player have said this year that Mayo is a player’s coach. I think his personality is totally different from Bill. From what I heard and read Mayo was basically running the defense the last couple of years. I think having continuity in the coaching on that side of the ball is really important.

I am totally fine with him being the HC.

@Tunescribe agreeing with this post after lecturing everyone for four years about optimism, buying into the organization, and urging us to move on and support the team

Yet another anxiously misfired gotcha. Feel free to catch up on my earlier posts today, then wipe that egg off your face.

Last edited:
Why can’t the pats have a damn normal hiring process as in hiring a new gm who can evaluate talent better than the last 5 years and let the gm hire the HC and Interview also some outside guys who had nothing to do with the pats before

On 9/22/2001, Mo Lewis ended Drew Bledsoe's day and a little known QB jogged to the huddle. From our seats in section 115 (i think), I turned to my Dad and said "Well, let's see how this guy does." I am going to take the same approach with Mayo. I am not going to ***** how I hate the move, nor celebrate the second coming of ************. Time will tell.

On 9/22/2001, Mo Lewis ended Drew Bledsoe's day and a little known QB jogged to the huddle. From our seats in section 115 (i think), I turned to my Dad and said "Well, let's see how this guy does." I am going to take the same approach with Mayo. I am not going to ***** how I hate the move, nor celebrate the second coming of ************. Time will tell.
I don't hate that's he's the HC at all. Clearly the Patriots organization has thought very highly of him for a long time.
I'm not thrilled there was no search, I'm not thrilled there's no GM, and I'm not thrilled about the backstabbing that made it happen - but I'm not saying I hate him as coach. He'll probably be fine. We'll see.

I understand the lamentations about not doing a full coaching search (which Kraft said he was going to do, but obviously did not do), but if you feel extremely sure that you have "the guy" already here then what is the point? No other outside coach would be able to maintain things in-house the way Mayo would be able to. The closest would be Vrabel, but even he would need to change a lot of things.

Don't get me wrong - I was a pro-Vrabel guy, Mayo is not my first choice - but only because I just don't know what to expect here. That could be bad but could be good. Obviously, Kraft was very right with his last coaching hire, and the guy he hired before that one went on to be very good elsewhere too. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Tentatively excited for the Mayo era. Very curious what happens at GM. If they can get that sorted in a week then they are ahead of the curve for the offseason. Maybe it is Wolf, like Curran has been pumping. Not sure how that changes things. Wolf has been involved previously but seemed to have to defer to Belichick and probably also Groh. Becoming the guy in charge - how would that change the picks and the strategy/aggression as far as draft day moves?

a rookie QB with a rookie HC, what can go wrong?

If a certain point of next season we are 3-10 again there's a risk of breaking another QB mentally

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back