PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Misc Playoff & Offseason thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t know there is a divide. You just made one up.

If there wasn't one there would already be a contract. Yes I'm making up numbers to prove a point. Maybe there's no gap on AAV and it's about years. Who knows. We're all speculating. It's what people in a forum do, for the most part.

Because that is what is most likely. He came into the league regarded beneath everyone who is a starting QB and had done absolutely nothing to change that.
Your post above has nothing to do with stidham, as I said plus etling in for him and there is just as much reason to believe.

Tom Brady came into the league well below where everyone who is a starting QB was drafted. That obviously worked out. Kurt Warner and Warren Moon, undrafted. Etling was cut for Stidham and never showed nearly the promise. Bill traded Hoyer with Stidham showing he could play in the preseason. You want to discount the preseason completely. We've seen lots of training camp wonders who never made the field but Bill never traded the backup like that before in year one so I don't think you can discount all of Stidham's performances because Bill gave evidence that he didn't.

but to address the reasons you listed
1) who are the examples that Brady osmosis makes you a good qb? Most have failed
2) you think he will be a good QB because they will dumb down the offense? That makes him a bad qb. You hurt the offense by dumbing it down.
3) huh?

Cassel, JG and Brisette have all proven to be better than bottom of the barrel starters in the league. I didn't say dumbing down the offense. Brady didn't run the full offense in 2001 nor did Cassel after 3 year in NE in 2008. JG did in 2016 after several years on the bench.

I agree to disagree.

If there wasn't one there would already be a contract. Yes I'm making up numbers to prove a point. Maybe there's no gap on AAV and it's about years. Who knows. We're all speculating. It's what people in a forum do, for the most part.
There is a contract, it’s the same as what Drew Brees has. At 42 the are taking it heart by year. How else should they handle it?

Tom Brady came into the league well below where everyone who is a starting QB was drafted. That obviously worked out. Kurt Warner and Warren Moon, undrafted.
Should I name the 1000s of others who failed?
tom Brady’s success doesn’t not make any low drafted and a success by extrapolation.

Could stidham succeed, sure? But it’s not very likely. Best guess as of today is if you hand him the job he will be the worst QB in the league. I don’t understand how that is arguable.

Etling was cut for Stidham and never showed nearly the promise. Bill traded Hoyer with Stidham showing he could play in the preseason. You want to discount the preseason completely. We've seen lots of training camp wonders who never made the field but Bill never traded the backup like that before in year one so I don't think you can discount all of Stidham's performances because Bill gave evidence that he didn't.
Stidham has proven nothing. Belichick has kept davey, Gutierrez and mallet as backups.

Cassel, JG and Brisette have all proven to be better than bottom of the barrel starters in the league.
Cassell couldn’t hold a job, brissett appears to be the same.

I didn't say dumbing down the offense. Brady didn't run the full offense in 2001 nor did Cassel after 3 year in NE in 2008. JG did in 2016 after several years on the bench.

I agree to disagree.
You listed limiting the offense as a reason stidham is good.

If you want to complain the season isn't over yet just don't read the thread.

Perillo had an interesting thought on Brady's salary for next year and used this year's $23M as a baseline. Theory is the Pats would likely want to pay less than that and Brady wants a raise.

Looking at it from a trade off scenario lets just use the $23M as his AAV looking towards a contract for next year. Lets say for simple numbers you could resign Thuney and KVN for a combined average of 10M AAV and you extend Slater for his current salary of 2.6M. Would Bill at this point taken Thuney, KVN, Slater and Stidham for roughly the cost of Brady per year? I think at this stage he would.

This isn't saying that Tom can't still play at a high level or that Bill doesn't believe in him. I think it's all calculations Bill and Ernie are doing in the background in what equates to WARP in baseball where they're figuring out value per dollar spent.

I also believe much like 2009 was the last rodeo for so many of that decades players this is it for the 2010's players. I think Bill is going to infuse a lot of youth into the team next year and a lot of players are going to be made to choose pay cut vs being cut. Watch them go 11-5 next year in what will be a transition year that many will label rebuilding, still win the division and then in 2021 they're retooled for another run.
--------------------

Brady landing spots.

Miami: They need too much to retool quick enough even with B-Flo there I can't see it. Also most of the younger posters here probably don't hate the Fins (or Raiders) as much as they should. Growing up those were the teams I hated the most.

49ers: I don't know how this is getting traction given JG is playing really well.

Dallas: This one actually is interesting. For Tom it's high profile and that team has a ton of talent. I think a big part would be who is the coach? For Jerry, it sells tickets and jerseys, buys them huge credibility and sticks it to Bob.

Chargers: Ton of talent. Again not sure about the coaching.

Denver: This is really way out there and I know Elway has publicly stated they aren't changing directions from Lock but winning a SB with both Manning and Brady has to have some allure. Plus Miller is at that age when it's now or never.

Washington: Not sure Tom would go there but I can see Synder making a push to win that fan base back.

Tenn: Tannehill probably gets resigned.
--------------------------

Although the deck is stacked against the Patriots I still think they can win it all but the margin for error is super thin. They lose a key players they're done. They turn it over they're done. Start giving up big plays......

1. Defense has to start mixing up coverages more.
2. Offense must establish the run.
3. Coupled with #2 Josh has to use play action.
4. Couple with #2 stick with the run until they stop it. It's Mike Martz disease.
5. Red zone on both sides of the ball has to be exceptional.
6. Special teams has to at least win and probably score or create opportunities to score.
---------------

If the Pats don't win it all the order I can stomach other teams winning it. I know people will have drastically different takes on this.

1. 49ers - I like JG, Kittle and others. I know it gives them 6 rings but that will drive Steelers fans madder than Patriots so I can live with it. Also I've let Welker's drops go and would be happy for him winning a ring as a coach.

2. Titans - If not for Lewis they would be number one because I'd love for Vrabel to do well and Logan Ryan as well. Neutral on Butler.

3. Texans - BOB, Romeo, Watson, Watt.......I like a lot of their team.

4. Vikings - I think they might be the team least likely to win it all but they're long suffering and I know quite a few people from that area and I'd love for them to taste victory.

5. Bills - Again long suffering fan base.

6. Seahawks. I like Pete. Unlike their fan base the players still remaining were very gracious in defeat to the Pats, IE Wilson, Wagner, Wright, Lynch....

7. Chiefs - They would have been higher if not for signing Suggs, Clark and Jones shooting their mouths off and the child abuser being on the roster. I'd be happy for Reid getting over the hump and Mahomes seems like a good guy.

8. Eagles - Minus Lane Johnson this is more about the fan base than the team.

9. Saints - This is purely a historical thing where I don't want Brees getting closer to Brady's legacy.

10. Packers - I really don't want to listen to the ball washing of Rodgers.

11. Ravens - God please, no. Even without the likes of Lewis, Scott, Suggs and others not there any longer there is still Winebaugh who admittedly is a great coach but a douche.

My thinking has been (and this is before Skip Bayless said it today too) that the Colts are a perfect fit for Brady. They have a ton of money, a great offensive line, some very good tight ends, Hilton, and could probably get more high end defenders. Ballard is a really good GM...Jacoby Brissett isn’t the long term answer there and wastes a great line with his holding the ball too long.

The reason against it is, of course, it’s the Indianapolis Colts.

Buffalo is another team with a championship roster minus the quarterback. That’s a team I could see Brady having some attraction to. Perennial loser franchise; imagine the legacy he’d have if he wins a championship there too? McDermott is a dink but an awesome coach. It would depend on how stubborn/prideful they are about Josh Allen.

Along the same lines, I wonder if Cleveland would cut losses and trade Mayfield; he’s clearly not a generational talent and seems to always have personal issues. Would be interesting if Cleveland brought in McDaniels; Brady would be going to an offense with OBJ, Landry, Nkoju, and Chubb. If he gave them a decent discount, that’s a possible Super Bowl team too.

I agree: would really want the Niners to win if the Patriots don’t. If it came down to it, I’d probably even root for the Ravens against the Packers...that’s how much I hate Rodgers.

Last edited:
I don’t know Brady, so I can’t speak for him. But, all of the OP’s possible destinations stink. Perhaps he retires, perhaps he moves on, perhaps he returns to NE. But none of the potential destinations listed would excite me. Playing in an empty stadium in LA (or one full of gawkers who only showed up to see Brady) with questionable overall talent and coaching is the BEST choice ? Gag.

I don’t know Brady, so I can’t speak for him. But, all of the OP’s possible destinations stink. Perhaps he retires, perhaps he moves on, perhaps he returns to NE. But none of the potential destinations listed would excite me. Playing in an empty stadium in LA (or one full of gawkers who only showed up to see Brady) with questionable overall talent and coaching is the BEST choice ? Gag.

That's what could get him to stay or retire. I agree with Skip and IIB that Indy from a coaching and personnel perspective makes the most sense but given they were the genesis of deflategate I just cannot see that happening.

That's what could get him to stay or retire. I agree with Skip and IIB that Indy from a coaching and personnel perspective makes the most sense but given they were the genesis of deflategate I just cannot see that happening.
I’ve been wondering if Ron Rivera would want to bring Brady to Washington to give Haskins a mentor and role model for a year or two as he is turning the franchise around. Haskins is in his rookie year so he could redshirt behind Brady for one or even two years. And the talent overall is not a dumpster fire, the team needs a culture change and bringing Brady into town would precipitate that for sure. Could be something to watch.

So it's supposed to be "Daylight Saving" Time?

Doesn't sound right. "Season's Greeting!" "Happy Holiday!"

Fat Domino. Minnesota Fat. That Entertainment.

I'm a New England Patriot fan.

Rat.

I feel like if I keep this up I'll get kicked out the country.

You know, the United State of America...o_O

So it's supposed to be "Daylight Saving" Time?

Doesn't sound right. "Season's Greeting!" "Happy Holiday!"

Fat Domino. Minnesota Fat. That Entertainment.

I'm a New England Patriot fan.

Rat.

I feel like if I keep this up I'll get kicked out the country.

You know, the United State of America...o_O
I love Spring ahead. I’ve been waiting for it for months. The rest of your message - I can’t decipher.

The rest of your message - I can’t decipher.
Roman Phifer to the rescue!
81NX7FgzaYL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back