PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RALPH WEBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm ...

Not one or two, but FOUR seasons of exceptional production against SEC competition (but also fumbled a lot).

Hgt/wgt nearly identical to White (5092/202).
... 4.49/40, 1.60 10yd .. 27 reps .. 36" vert .. 122" lj .. 4.15 ss .. 7.13 3-cone

Has made more out of his limited opportunities so far than most UDFA rookie RBs (trying to figure out how he went undrafted), certainly way more than Gillislee did.

I'm really hoping he gets some early game snaps against Philly so that we can see if he's a mirage or not.

Every NFL running back was a special running back in college. He carved up SEC teams like Ole Miss and Tennessee, which featured among the worst rushing defenses in the FBS (123rd and 125th). He got held in check by teams like Middle Tennessee State. He doesn't contribute in the passing game and he's small. But he's got good burst and runs with very good pad level. He's just likely to be a victim of a numbers game. I don't think the Patriots will necessarily have a problem putting him on their practice squad, as most teams end up liking their own guys.

For a back who averaged something like 3.5 yds/carry, Webb is getting a lot of love

The two 2-pt conversions are not reflected in the stats, and one of them was an exceptional catch on a bad throw.

One TD run was from the 1 yard line, so that is all that was possible.

In general he hit the holes hard, always fell forward, and got all there was to get. In short, he did a lot of what you want to see.

I think both of these posts contain truth and aren't mutually exclusive. I was surprised to find that his stats weren't very good, and have since tempered my expectations. However, he really did pass the "eye test" and play great situational football. I think the takeaway is he could be safer to put on waivers than we thought but still has a lot of traits worth nurturing.

Well the locks are

Michel
White
Burkhead
Bolden
and Develin

Then one of Hill, Gill or Webb makes it I'd think. Unless one of the others gets hurt. Personally I would be fine cutting Bolden. As I have said before, I know he plays a lot of STs but I practically never see him MAKE A PLAY on STs. In the past few years I have seen him screw up more than make a play on that unit.

With that being the case I would be fine cutting him and putting Webb in provided he can play STs too.

If it comes down to Webb vs Hill than you almost have to go with Hill as you want that vet big back that you can depend on if something happens to Michel for a while.
Disagreed because I recall BB (Brandon Bolden) making positive plays on ST. I've also seen a few good runs on touches with the offense, albeit not as many as would be ideal. Enough to wonder if he'd be better on offense if he got more work there.

Disagreed because I recall BB (Brandon Bolden) making positive plays on ST. I've also seen a few good runs on touches with the offense, albeit not as many as would be ideal. Enough to wonder if he'd be better on offense if he got more work there.
Bolden has had his chances on offense and he is what he is. A 56 year old Steven Jackson was a better option in 2015.

Bolden has had his chances on offense and he is what he is. A 56 year old Steven Jackson was a better option in 2015.

I'm not sure he really was a better option. At least Bolden got that huge sideline TD in the first Denver game. Jackson did nothing.

Has made more out of his limited opportunities so far than most UDFA rookie RBs (trying to figure out how he went undrafted), certainly way more than Gillislee did.

I'm really hoping he gets some early game snaps against Philly so that we can see if he's a mirage or not.
Definitely has some moves and some pop to his game. Might give us back some of what we lost when we let Dion Lewis go, a nice change up to the others.

I also thought Jeremy Hill looked pretty good.

And I also am not seeing why people are high on Gillislee.

I don't think BB will worry about cutting his losses if he keeps seeing good things from Hill and Webb and others.

Definitely has some moves and some pop to his game. Might give us back some of what we lost when we let Dion Lewis go, a nice change up to the others.

I don't think BB will worry about cutting his losses if he keeps seeing good things from Hill and Webb and others.

I'm not sure anyone's high on Gillislee at this point.

I'm not sure he really was a better option. At least Bolden got that huge sideline TD in the first Denver game. Jackson did nothing.
Well the coaching staff thought he was.
The first Denver game was when Lewis got hurt. After Blount got hurt they brought in Jackson to be rb1 instead of using bolden.

I guess the 31st overall pick in the draft just disappeared.

Every NFL running back was a special running back in college. He carved up SEC teams like Ole Miss and Tennessee, which featured among the worst rushing defenses in the FBS (123rd and 125th). He got held in check by teams like Middle Tennessee State. He doesn't contribute in the passing game and he's small. But he's got good burst and runs with very good pad level. He's just likely to be a victim of a numbers game. I don't think the Patriots will necessarily have a problem putting him on their practice squad, as most teams end up liking their own guys.

Just sayin' that I'm waiting to see if he does anything more during pre-season before I box him up and ship him off.

BTW - same size as James White.

I think both of these posts contain truth and aren't mutually exclusive. I was surprised to find that his stats weren't very good, and have since tempered my expectations. However, he really did pass the "eye test" and play great situational football. I think the takeaway is he could be safer to put on waivers than we thought but still has a lot of traits worth nurturing.
His success was 90% the blocking he was given.

Well the coaching staff thought he was.
The first Denver game was when Lewis got hurt. After Blount got hurt they brought in Jackson to be rb1 instead of using bolden.

That is undeniably true. I just disagree with that decision. After the last Super Bowl, I think we know the staff can be wrong on occasion. Doesn't make BB not the GOAT.

That is undeniably true. I just disagree with that decision. After the last Super Bowl, I think we know the staff can be wrong on occasion. Doesn't make BB not the GOAT.
It’s more a commentary in a coaching staff that has years of having bolden on the team knowing he is what he is and sctaling the bottom of the barrel for anyone else.
Just because Jackson was cooked doesn’t mean bolden would have been any better.

It’s more a commentary in a coaching staff that has years of having bolden on the team knowing he is what he is and sctaling the bottom of the barrel for anyone else.
Just because Jackson was cooked doesn’t mean bolden would have been any better.

No argument from me on that. There's no reason to believe Bolden would have been any better, especially because Jackson was signed to be a goal line/early down back whereas Bolden has always been more of a third down type.

I'm hearing about this kid even before the first pre season game. If this hype translate to the football field it will be an interesting problem to have, his frame is similar to Michel who (hopefully) will be our main RB for years.

Hill and Webb were the best men on the field Thursday. Hill has to prove he can stay healthy. Webb has to prove he can do it against more than the scrubs.

Hill and Webb were the best men on the field Thursday. Hill has to prove he can stay healthy. Webb has to prove he can do it against more than the scrubs.

I'm not sure that there was a significant difference between the defense that Hill succeeded against and the one that Webb succeeded against, in terms of the quality of the players that the Skins had on the field. The Pats OL was pretty much the same for both, too, IIRC.

So, it's kind of revealing that those two succeeded and Gillislee failed.

We may get a better understanding of where these three guys are on the RB "depth chart" when we see which one gets first crack at the Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back