PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders sent the 5 day letter to Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like the raiders got a roster exemption for Seymour.
No, they got a roster exemption to bring back the player they cut to make room for Seymour. :rofl:

Seymour update; McFadden to start - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group
Cable press briefing transcript - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Tom Cable's presser:
Q: Have to cut anyone to add William Joseph?

Cable: We did not. Under the current circumstances we were granted an exemption. The (Seymour) issue, I have nothing new to report on that. But in the meantime, this was granted to us so we could get ready.

Q: Have you sent Richard a letter or do you plan to do so?

Cable: I don’t have any knowledge of that right now. I’ve heard something about that. But I have no knowledge of that right now.

Q: Has the five-day letter been discussed?

Cable: No, no. It has been nothing more than just trying to get some of these details worked out, that’s it.

Q: Have you talked to Richard since Monday?

Cable: I have, but not in the last 24 hours.

Q: He still wants to be here?

Cable: Yes.

Last edited:
Because I hate the Raiders, I really hope we get our first rounder AND he never plays for them.

Oh, you whacky man, you, Richard!

Laugh a minute with this guy!

I have been reading a bit on a few Raider forums...It seems a great deal think that the Failing Physical is an out for them...unless there is a real issue with Seymour's physicality, it's NOT any out at all for the team. Right now there is a blueprint that is being created of "How to Get out of a Trade" and if that is allowed, it will be the blueprint of EVERY player in the NFL who doesn't wish to go to a team that he is traded to. The league knows this so if there is any hanky panky with the physical, THAT will not fly.
It's OBVIOUS that a player not wishing to go to a team is NOT ANY reason to fail a physical and if it happened in this case, I doubt the league would sanction that.
The league does not want players having veto power over trades PERIOD and that makes sense. If this trade was voided because of a failure of a physical that REALLY was more that the player didn't wish to be there, it would set a really bad precedent.
Who is losing out on this big time is Seymour. I don't think there are many that are singing his praises today and if he continues his actions, he'll really have shown a great deal of why he was gone from the team.
Oakland has to deal with it..and Seymour will have that threat of being thrown on the DNR list over his head, so if he doesn't report he's done. And once he's on DNR, he can't play or be traded or anything till next year and coming back after being out a season will not be easy.
I still think he and his agnet are looking for some other angle on this and given how Crabtree has messed up his first year, Seymour could very easily mess up his last few good years in his career and his legacy.

Now that is interesting. Where did you hear that or do you have a link? First I've heard of htat.
Tila Tequila told me SM whispered it into her ear (among other things) just before he had the cuffs slapped on him...

the raiders can't make crap up on the physical.....they would have to prove a problem exists that would keep him from playing........its not like they can say 'we don't like his tats

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, I'm just going to lightly touch your knee......
Richard S.: OWWWWWWW! Dear God that hurts, realllllllly bad.

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, let me put the stethoscope on your back, and you breath.
Richard S.: Mother of Sweet Mercy that hurts. My back, my back!!!!

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, stand up and put your arms over your head. Richard? Put your arms over your head.
Richard S.: I am. This is as far as they will go without the excrutiating pain.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. :)

Hopefully this is accurate. I too was starting to wonder if crusty Al pulled a fast one on BB.

How so?? One way or another the Raiders are the proud owners of Big Overrated's contract. The man-child is their problem. No dount Al Davis
is plotting a silly overpayment for Big O. The Raiders are a perfect fit for Big O since they routinely overpay for underperformance.

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, I'm just going to lightly touch your knee......

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, let me put the stethoscope on your back, and you breath.

Doctor Giving the Physical: O.K. Richard, stand up and put your arms over your head. Richard? Put your arms over your head.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Two teams negotiate for the terms of a player’s reassignment, and once terms are “final,” the traded player reports to his new team. Only at that point does the new team conduct a medical examination of the traded player. The team gaining the player then faces a dichotomous choice: either declare the player has “failed” the physical, invalidating the trade, or declare that he has “passed,” such that the terms of the trade become finalized. Notably, the team conducting the physical does not have the option to renegotiate terms of the trade based on troubling, but not necessarily fatal medical discoveries. In addition, the team giving up the player has limited or no right to challenge the medical determination made by the acquiring team.

It would seem that Schefter is still reporting according to his league sources the letter was sent according to this piece on ESPN updated around 2AM.

They may have had to send the letter in order to justify the roster exemption. They don't just hand those out like candy. Got to have a compelling reason (like the Vick rehab where being suspended was superceded by the leagues determination to ease the player back onto the scene ergo he came with one).

Cable's statement is plausible deniability 101. He's just a HC and barely that in Oaklands organizational structure, and likely has NO say in FO matters.

Sources: Richard Seymour given deadline by Raiders - ESPN

Do teams give regular physicals to the players before the beginning of camp/season? If so, I would guess there are significant records which will follow Sey to the doctor giving the physical.

Screw your Chargers. Anything bad that happens to your loathsome franchise and punk fans is well deserved. Please go away. And once you do, tell the mini-Merriman brigade of little boys who roam the concourses at Qualcomm looking to pick fights with visiting fans to FOAD.
I apologise on behalf of my poorly behaved Charger brethren. There is no excuse for picking fights with visiting fans.

Tila Tequila told me SM whispered it into her ear (among other things) just before he had the cuffs slapped on him...
LOL. I wouldn't put much stock in it then.

Exactly. 10c

Two teams negotiate for the terms of a player’s reassignment, and once terms are “final,” the traded player reports to his new team. Only at that point does the new team conduct a medical examination of the traded player. The team gaining the player then faces a dichotomous choice: either declare the player has “failed” the physical, invalidating the trade, or declare that he has “passed,” such that the terms of the trade become finalized. Notably, the team conducting the physical does not have the option to renegotiate terms of the trade based on troubling, but not necessarily fatal medical discoveries. In addition, the team giving up the player has limited or no right to challenge the medical determination made by the acquiring team.

Which is exactly why if there was a problem with the physical the Raiders know they can't renegotiate the terms of the deal so they'd just flunk him and void the whole thing.

Do teams give regular physicals to the players before the beginning of camp/season? If so, I would guess there are significant records which will follow Sey to the doctor giving the physical.

Absolutely, as they do exit physicals at the end of the season to protect themselves from being snookered into paying for NFI.

Players sometimes seem to want to have it both ways. They bristle when they are criticized for performance while playing through injuries, yet it's the kiss of death to allow prospective employers (and in some cases existing ones) to categorize your injury history as troubling. Takes a substantial bite out of your future guaranteed money...Seymour could never go along with that tack as an exit strategy here because it returns him to NE under terms that could radically impact his future earnings potential. Not that the fact that NE was even willing to trade him coupled with his bizzaro fetal position behavior since last Sunday hasn't already impacted it to some extent.

This is not a physical examinal. It is an interview. Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick