PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Forgotten talent to keep in mind when mocking the draft and free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Armond Armstead, DT –
Sacramento's Armond Armstead has two more visits this week - to Miami and Cleveland. The 6-5, 295-pound defensive lineman, who played at USC, also has worked out for the Raiders and Patriots. Last spring, Armstead was briefly hospitalized after experiencing chest pains. He was cleared by doctors to resume football action, but USC would not allow Armstead to play this past season, and he decided to declare for the draft. Read more about Armstead here. Armstead was a two-year starter at USC, totaling 59 tackles and two sacks in 17 career starts. Earlier this month, he worked out for scouts at Sacramento State. He had a 30-inch vertical leap, broad jumped nearly ten-feet and ran a 5.05-second 40-yard dash. - Matt Barrows, The Sacramento Bee

Mark Harrison, WR –
12/04/12 - 12/4/12 NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: 4. Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers...Few receivers have the size, strength and speed of Harrison, who hasn't always lived up to the measureables. However he flashed his big play ability against Louisville last Thursday with a season-best 131 yards on six catches, including a 65-yard catch-and-go touchdown with Harrison doing most of the work. Listed at 6-3 and 230 pounds, he is a huge target for the quarterback and uses his large wingspan to snatch grabs out of the air and his muscle build to create mismatches against cornerbacks and shrug off would-be tacklers.

Harrison lacks much burst and needs a few steps to accelerate to his top speed, but has decent build-up speed with his long strides to run away from trouble. He has developed as a senior from past years, showing much better discipline and reliability with his hands to secure catches. Harrison does a nice job coming back to the ball to help his quarterback and does well in traffic to use his frame against defenders. He won t wow anyone athletically, but his physical skills could earn him a late round draft pick, especially after leading the Scarlet Knights in catches this season with 42 receptions. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Corey Grissom, DT –
03/28/13 - 2013 South Florida Pro Day: South Florida held its pro day on March 6 outdoors on grass. A total of 17 representatives from NFL teams were on hand to watch, including San Francisco 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell. Cory Grissom, NT (6-1 3/4, 303 pounds) - The defensive standout had a good position workout and went 4.82 in the 40. He recorded 24 reps in bench press at the standard 225 pounds. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

TJ Moe, WR –
03/08/13 - 2013 Missouri Pro Day: Similarly, wide receiver T.J. Moe wanted to get a 4.74 off his record. That was Moe’s time at the Combine - the slowest for any wideout in Indianapolis. Perhaps 45 minutes after running his 40, Moe told reporters with a straight face, that he didn’t know his times other than some gossip from the spectator area. When told he was clocked from the mid 4.5s to the low 4.6s, Moe replied without much enthusiasm: “Sounds great.” He then added: “It needed to be faster than 4.74, whatever I ran (at the Combine). I really feel like I could’ve ran that backward today. You can’t get much slower than I did the first time.
“In the NFL you really are speed deficient at 4.59 (at wide receiver). They say, maybe you can’t hack it. But of course, Danny Amendola ran a 4.68 at the Combine, and Wes Welker didn’t even go to the Combine but he ran like a 4.65 at his pro day. I saw Wes Welker on Darrelle Revis run about a 74-yard post route and that worked OK. His ‘speed deficiency’ didn’t show. So he looked OK to me.”

Moe, from Fort Zumwalt West High, was off the charts on all of his other Combine drills - either the best or among the best at the wide receiver position. So other than the 40, all he did Thursday was run pass routes for the scouts. Moe said the Rams invited he and Richardson to visit Rams Park later in the pre-draft process to meet the coaches. Because Moe and Richardson are from the St. Louis area, they can visit Rams Park without counting as a “top 30” visit. - Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

DJ Williams, TE –
Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 9-1-10: #2 TE, #59/750 Overall, 3
2010: 2010 JOHN MACKEY AWARD WINNER...Williams won the John Mackey Award in 2010, which goes annually to the nation's best tight end. The three-year starter reeled in a team-high 49 catches for 589 yards and four touchdowns in helping the Razorbacks to a 10-2 record and Sugar Bowl appearance this year. He was a first team All-SEC selection by both the AP and Coaches and also took home the Disney Spirit Award this year (college football's most inspirational figure)...2009: Second-team All-SEC (coaches)...Named to Lombardi and Mackey Award watch lists...AFCA Good Works Team nominee...FedEx Orange Bowl Courage Award nominee...Tied for 24th in the SEC in receptions per game (2.46) and was 23rd in receiving yards per game (31.62)...Ranked third on the Arkansas roster in catches with 32 for 411 yards, a total that ranked fourth on the team...Caught passes in nine of 13 contests on the season, and had multi-catch showings in all eight games...2008: Williams had a record-setting season that saw him become the first Mackey Award (presented to the nation’s top tight end) semifinalist in school history. He finished as the team leader in receptions (61), receiving yards (723) and receiving touchdowns (3). He set school records for catches by a tight end in a season (61) and in a game (10 for 129 vs. Ole Miss). His 61 catches and 723 receiving yards ranked sixth among all tight ends nationally in 2008. His 24 catches and 275 yards against Top 25 teams were the third-highest totals for any tight end in the nation in 2008. Nearly half of his catches resulted in a first down for the Razorbacks (29 of 61, 47.5 pct.) and he accounted for nearly 25 percent of Arkansas’ receptions and receiving yards in 2008...2007: A backup at tight end to Andrew Davie, he played in every game except the Cotton Bowl. He was Arkansas’ lone starting tight end against Kentucky and started along with Davie in a two-tight end set against Chattanooga. For the year, he had five receptions for 94 yards, and was named to the SEC All-Freshmen first team. His 18.8 yards-per-catch average ranked third on the team.

Steve Beauharnais, LB –
Draft Scout Snapshot: A closer look at the Patriots' picks: Round 7/235 - Steve Beauharnais, ILB, 6-1, 240, Rutgers...Apparently three's a charm when drafting Rutgers players as the Patriots closed out the draft with another Scarlet Knight. Beauharnais started 26 games over his final two seasons at Rutgers, but projects as a potential backup and special teamer at the next level. - The Sports Xchange

Jake Bequette, DE –
Draft Scout Snapshot: A closer look at the Patriots' picks: Round 3/90 - Jake Bequette, DE, 6-5, 274, Arkansas...Similar to Hightower, Bequette can play both linebacker and defensive end, and he has tremendous size and wingspan at 6-5. This could be a tremendous value pick; Bequette was a two-time team captain at Arkansas and competed at a high level in the SEC, making him an attractive prospect in the third round. - The Sports Xchange

Chris Barker, OG –
03/17/13 - 2013 Nevada Pro Day: Chris Barker, G (6-foot-2, 303 pounds) - Barker ran the 40-yard dash in 5.14 and 5.13 seconds. He had a 4.67-second short shuttle, 7.86-second three-cone drill and an 8-foot-3 broad jump. Barker was worked out by one of the scouts in attendance, Adam Engroff, who is one of the best at working out linemen. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Sam McGuffie, RB/WR –
04/17/13 - 2013 NFL DRAFT: 124 FBS PROGRAMS, 124 POSSIBLE UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS: RICE: RB/WR Sam McGuffie (5-10, 201, 4.36)...Known for his YouTube highlights leaping over defenders, McGuffie, a Michigan transfer, hasn't yet put it all together on the football field, but the athleticism is there. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Reggie Dunn, WR/KR –
03/28/13 - 2013 Utah Pro Day: Reginald Dunn, WR (5-9 3/8, 178) - Dunn ran the 40 in 4.25 and 4.26 seconds. He had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.36 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.85 seconds. Dunn had 17 lifts on the bench press. Dunn has never been a full-time starter, but his speed might get him a look by an NFL team in training camp. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Marcus Fortson, DT –
03/13/12 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP DOWN DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: *Marcus Forston, Miami, DT, 6-1, 301, 3...Forston has exceptional, natural athletic ability that thus far has been offset by his equally natural ability to have something go wrong, one way or the other. His career has been scarred, quite literally, with a number of injuries that limited his time on the playing field. As a promising freshman, Forston played eight games, including one start. The next year he was in only three games before being redshirting after injuring an ankle. He then missed spring practice in 2010 with a shoulder injury, but looked good in 12 starts that season. In 2011 he was suspended from the season opener by the NCAA for taking impermissible benefits while being recruited. Forston returned to start the next three games before a knee injury ended his season and, when he declared for the draft, his college career. NFL scouts are left to evaluate an injury-plagued, strong, gifted athlete who has been a work in progress, albeit with little progress. He demonstrated his natural strength at the combine by benching 225 pounds 35 times and although his speed and agility results were mediocre, he was at least healthy enough to take part. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Lol how could anyone forget about Jake Bequette?!

I don't see anything on that list that would impact the Pats moves in free agency or the draft. It's probably a long shot that anyone on that list even makes the opening day roster.

I don't see anything on that list that would impact the Pats moves in free agency or the draft. It's probably a long shot that anyone on that list even makes the opening day roster.

Beauharnais will be there. Armstead will be a huge disappointment if he's not on the roster. They paid Moe extra money for a reason and Harrison has a skill set unlike any other WRs on the team.

Several on that list will be opening day, I'll bet. Grissom has a shot, too.

images

Might as well throw in Braxton Cave unless Barker has really been working a lot at center.

I agree, if anyone on that list affects a draft or FA deal, there wasn't much there in the first place. Armstead healthy should have a chance to play some, but we still need one impact DL with at lest a few years on him.

Interior linemen have a shot just because we need to develop there and save money. Stronger than Wendell, hopefully.

Bunch of lottery tickets otherwise.

Fortson and Grissom missed the last bus to anywhere when they couldn't even help out last year.

Knock knock who's there. Opportunity? You wish...come and gone.

Aside from Armstead, nothing but a list of longshots.

Armstead has never even taken a snap on an NFL practice field and has been completely out of football for over a year. I'd say the long shot is that he is even in training camp.

Moe? A slow, short white receiver coming off a torn Achilles in OTAs? Lets be realistic.

I'd like to see one of these long-shots work out, but to count on them to a degree that you wouldn't address those positions in free agency or the draft would be insane.

None of them have shown ANYTHING on an NFL field.

I don't get the people who are down on Armstead. Is he guaranteed to be a star? No, but he will be better than what we had last season (Chris Jones and Joe Vellano). There is a reason why this guy was a priority FA and BB speaks so highly of him.

Has he taken an NFL snap yet? No. But he was CFL's Rookie of the Year and I believe he led their league in sacks as a DT. CFL isn't a bunch of scrubs either; example: Cameron Wake and Jerrell Freeman.

I fully expect Armstead to be on the 53 next season and fill a role as a situational interior pass rusher.

A list of guys who we all hope can make an impact but have yet to put it all together for one reason or another. I fail to see how anyone on that list will actually affect free agency or the draft.

I don't get the people who are down on Armstead. Is he guaranteed to be a star? No, but he will be better than what we had last season (Chris Jones and Joe Vellano). There is a reason why this guy was a priority FA and BB speaks so highly of him.

Has he taken an NFL snap yet? No. But he was CFL's Rookie of the Year and I believe he led their league in sacks as a DT. CFL isn't a bunch of scrubs either; example: Cameron Wake and Jerrell Freeman.

I fully expect Armstead to be on the 53 next season and fill a role as a situational interior pass rusher.

Compelling arguments but you don't know if he'll be better than Jones and Vellano or how much Jones and Vellano will improve.

He was not the CFL Rookie of the Year.

He did not lead the lead in sacks, he was tied for 9th place with 10 other players (6 sacks).

He was not medically cleared to play football in 2011, went undrafted in 2012 and missed 2013 with an infection brought on from surgery. He has played one year of football (in Canada) since 2010, he is not a sure thing.

Compelling arguments but you don't know if he'll be better than Jones and Vellano or how much Jones and Vellano will improve.

He was not the CFL Rookie of the Year.

He did not lead the lead in sacks, he was tied for 9th place with 10 other players (6 sacks).

He was not medically cleared to play football in 2011, went undrafted in 2012 and missed 2013 with an infection brought on from surgery. He has played one year of football (in Canada) since 2010, he is not a sure thing.

He was a CFL All Star as a rookie. Yes, and all the players in front of him were ends or LBs. He was tied with one other DT for 6 sacks.

He was cleared medically by doctors, but not by USC athletic dept. He left the school because they screwed him with torodal and he went undrafted because of medical concerns. He has all the medical attention you could imagine, being an NFL player, he was able to play in 2012 and performed at a high level. I anticipate he will be past his medical issues and will playing football in the future.

I am sure he will be better than Vellano. Vellano wouldn't be on an NFL roster if Wilfork didn't get hurt. Chris Jones had an impressive start as an interior pass rusher, but hit a wall. The reason I believe he will be better, is because BB had Armstead as the #3 DT behind Wilfork and Kelly in TC. He spoke very highly of him and sounded optimistic of his potential role on the team before he went on NFI.

He is not a sure thing, but no one in the NFL is. But he is talented for sure and has an opportunity to make an impact.

I anticipate he will be past his medical issues and will playing football in the future.

On what basis do you anticipate that? The guy hasn't even been able to participate in a practice in over a year. I have seen nothing that suggests he'll ever be able to play football. Maybe he's cleared to play, but that is pure 100% speculation.

On what basis do you anticipate that? The guy hasn't even been able to participate in a practice in over a year. I have seen nothing that suggests he'll ever be able to play football. Maybe he's cleared to play, but that is pure 100% speculation.

He was cleared to play by his doctors at USC, he was cleared to play an entire season in the CFL. He actually participated in OTAs. Supposedly, the guy got MERSA or some other infection. Its not like it is chronic or will nag him for the rest of his life or has ever had any other durability issues.

You haven't seen anything that suggests he ll ever be able to play football? He has played pro football before and performed pretty well... he also had 10+ NFL teams courting him to play for them :bricks:

Armond Armstead, DT –

Mark Harrison, WR –

Corey Grissom, DT –

TJ Moe, WR –

DJ Williams, TE –

Steve Beauharnais, LB –

Jake Bequette, DE –

Chris Barker, OG –

Sam McGuffie, RB/WR –

Reggie Dunn, WR/KR –

Marcus Fortson, DT –

I like Moe & Harrison, and really like McGuffie and Dunn, they add pure speed to our slow team, especially return wise. Armstead could be a beast if 100% healthy. All 5 would have to have GREAT camps to make the final 53 though. I think 1 or 2 players on your list should make it.

Armond Armstead, DT –

Mark Harrison, WR –

Corey Grissom, DT –

TJ Moe, WR –

DJ Williams, TE –

Steve Beauharnais, LB –

Jake Bequette, DE –

Chris Barker, OG –

Sam McGuffie, RB/WR –

Reggie Dunn, WR/KR –

Marcus Fortson, DT –

You're kidding, right? None of these JAGS will ever make any impact for the Patriots and probably none of them will make the team.

I cannot agree with you on that, Armstead if healthy can be an impact player in my opinion.

A list of guys who we all hope can make an impact but have yet to put it all together for one reason or another. I fail to see how anyone on that list will actually affect free agency or the draft.

Well because there are so many roster spots on a team. Armstead is a player who everyone was very high on in 2013; he unfortunately suffered some type of non-football illness. Last year the team released Deaderick and Love after the first OTAs that Armstead participated in, the belief out camp was that he was extremely impressive.

If you look at the mock drafts many of them have us taking Tuitt or another DT with our first pick, Tuitt is a 6’5” 300LB DT, Armstead is also a 6’5” 300LB DT. If the team feels Armstead is ready to go is the need to draft at DT at #29 still there?

Aside from Armstead, nothing but a list of longshots.

I think we all view Belichick as the brightest football mind in the NFL. Last season he kept the following players on the roster –

- Jake Bequette
- Steve Beauharnais
- Chris Barker

I know Bequette as an example is an enigma to all of us but I have to believe Belichick is retaining him for something he sees in him for the future. Beauharnais and Barker not ever being moved to the practice squad or released makes me believe that other teams had interest in their services and we retained them on the 53 man roster to protect them for the future.

I know I am making assumptions but I like to believe that Belichick has a plan both short and long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back