2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Over the line?

• No, it's over the line. Won't happen.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It'll happen, but won't affect him.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • It'll happen, and he'll cry and throw an INT.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBradyOwnsYou

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
If someone sacks Ben, do they whisper in his ear something about rape in an attempt to get in his head? Or since he's not been convicted and he's another player like them, is that type of thing over the line?
I would personally think most players would avoid bringing that up since they could potentially be on the same team at some point, but I also wonder how effective it could be to get in his head?

it wont happen, I doubt it seriously lol. I dont see BB as the type of coach that accepts this type of on-field behavior but i can see a hard ass like Meriweather doing that behind his back lol

Some might, some wouldn't.

If it was me, particularly if it was in 1st quarter, I would say something like, "you better start throwing that ball a bit quicker or you are gonna be leaving the game in a f***ing ambulance."

Seymour would.

Sure, absolutely I would trash talk with him about his inability to engage in sexual relations without breaking the law and/or drawing a lawsuit. To put it nicely.

I really don't think there is a single thing that can be said on the field that is "over-the-line". I guess, for me, the line would something racially charged. That's basically it. There's no place for that in sports.

But all this other trash talk, I don't care what the hell it is, how morbid or sick, you're out there trying to win a game and do your job. If you think the player you're going up against isn't mentally tough and saying something perverse might get him off his game, do it. This is competition, it's sports, you aren't out there making friends. (Unless you're Tony Dungy, in which case you're busy making friends while being a hypocritical, pretentious, judgmental jackass.)

In Roethlisberger's case, there is no evidence that he lacks the mental toughness to handle a little trash talk, so I don't see what real tangible benefit there is.

Last edited:
Not to get too far off topic, but what did you all think of the KG "cancer patient" trash talk a little while ago? Both my dad and my wife have had very serious bouts with cancer, so personally I really didn't dig it.

OTOH, I'm not an athlete who has paid millions to deal with that kind of crap and keep performing. (And I'm guessing far worse has been said on the court, gridiron, whatever.)

it wont happen, I doubt it seriously lol. I dont see BB as the type of coach that accepts this type of on-field behavior but i can see a hard ass like Meriweather doing that behind his back lol

...I Can't stop watching your sig :popcorn:

Not to get too far off topic, but what did you all think of the KG "cancer patient" trash talk a little while ago? Both my dad and my wife have had very serious bouts with cancer, so personally I really didn't dig it.

OTOH, I'm not an athlete who has paid millions to deal with that kind of crap and keep performing. (And I'm guessing far worse has been said on the court, gridiron, whatever.)

Well, it depends on who you believe. Villaneuva tweeted that KG said he "looks like a cancer patient" (Villaneuva has alopecia). KG & Doc say that KG said "you're a cancer to your team."

Doc says he heard KG say it, personally, that's good enough for me - Doc could've just given a no "comment", I tend to find him an honest guy.

Either way, I tend to think its not right to air what someone says on the court. You have to be able to separate who a person is on the court and off the court - it's two very different things. When you ask these people to play this intense, competitive, physical sports for huge amounts of money, in front of millions of people, they will say and do things they will regret, and I don't think you can hold it against them.

Obviously, if KG did say what Vilaneuva claims he did, it's undeniably horribly offensive - but again, you have to separate KG the player from KG the person. In real-life, he's a very mild-mannered, contemplative guy.

KG came out and said he wouldn't say anything insensitive about those struggling by cancer, and that he has been personally affected by loved ones dealing with cancer. And I believe that. So, let's put it this way - KG would never say anything like that off the court, and I believe him. Whether or not you believe he and Doc about what transpired on the court, well, that's up for debate.

Yeah but that was blown out of proportion, KG said he had family members that have cancer and wouldnt say something like that. He said that he told Villaneuva that he "was a cancer to his team". thats totally different.

Not to be unsensative to your families bouts but in no way was KGs comments directed at you, your family and or anyone else effected.

You are not going to get under someones skin by being PC. What is one supposed to say You smell like poopy nana nana nana poopy poopy poopy. Personally I am not a big fan of trying to get under someones skin because it just a poor sportsmanship thing to do but I understand people do it and I am not going to make them out to be monsters for something that wouldnt be considered PC when it was only intended for an audiance of one. And seeing how much it annoyed Villanuava it apparently was a correct tactic to use.

IMO I am with Doc on this where sure you can argue thats it wrong to make those comments but what is the point in Villinuava going public with them. Keeping it between him and KG would gone further to not upsetting those who would be upset by the comment. The comment was not intended for the ears of anyone it would offend other than Villanuava.

Not to be unsensative to your families bouts but in no way was KGs comments directed at you, your family and or anyone else effected. QUOTE]

Agree 100%, didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Obviously I'm not the target.

The question what people consider "over the line" in trash talk. I think probably illness is probably a borderline topic at best, if for no other reason that you don't know who is dealing with what (imagine if KG said something similar to Derek Fisher, whose kid has eye cancer) and you could end up looking like a jackass (not to mention, make a large, well-conditioned athlete seriously try to kill you right then and there lol)

I admit I didn't know all the details of the KG (alleged) comment. Sounds like it was a 'he said/he said' situation so it's questionable whether he even said that in the first place.

Not to be unsensative to your families bouts but in no way was KGs comments directed at you, your family and or anyone else effected. QUOTE]

The question what people consider "over the line" in trash talk.

See that was kind of my point by definition trash talk is over the line it is talk that belongs in the garbage. To me anything is game when we talk about trash talking. Again I would perfer it didnt happen and I never really did to much of it myself. But you cant really be PC when talking trash just defeats the point the idea is to get into someones head and take them off their game well PC by definition would not be offensive enough to do so.

SO basically what I am saying is you can argue whether trash talking should even exist but to realize trash talking is a part of most sports but to then turn around and say just dont offend anyone with it is a little contradictary.

To me its kind of like saying devastating hits should be illegal. You can hit just not to hard. You can talk trash just dont hurt anyones feelings. Kind of defeats the purpose. There is a difference though you eliminate one and you change the game you eliminate the other and you just have less conversing on the court.

Last edited:
I'd imagine it has been said to him multiple times in every game he's played since. It's not church out there.

Interesting comments came out after the KG/Cancer Patient situation, and with the entire media outraged, some ex-basketball players on TNT or whatever basically said this kind of stuff gets said all the time on the court and is no big deal.

And this is on a B-ball court within earshot's of fans and dozens of mics. I'd imagine the NFL is a whole lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick