PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quentin Sims

Sure, we should try to keep him on the PS, and even pay him a full minimum salary. This would be a small insurance premium. However, the suggestion is that Sims should not want to do this. He should be expected to sign on to the Practice Squad of a team with a younger set of wide receivers.

We've been hearing good things about Quinton Sims pretty much the whole summer, and the old "eye test" would lead one to believe that he's definitely worth trying hard to keep around.

A guy like that could be enormous for the 2014 season + into the future, or he could even be key should someone get injured this year. I would hope that they will do everything they can to get him to the PS and give him a nice PS salary as an incentive to hang around here.

I hope he makes it to the practice squad. Kid looks pretty quick, nice routes and body control... and hands!

tumblr_msbwp1POhw1qh3pr2o3_400.gif

If you were to tell someone watching last night's game to look at #s 84 & 17 without
seeing their names, then have them guess which of the two was the 2nd-round draft pick,
I wonder how many would have answered #84?

Let's not go overboard here. Simms had a good game last night playing against guys who will be washing cars for a living next week. He might turn into something, but right now he is Bam Childress 2.0. Prior to last night, he had one catch for 14 yards the entire preseason.

He will be a practice squad player assuming he passes through waivers. Prior to last night, I don't even know if he would make the Pats' practice squad. I think last night might have secured a spot on it.

True, but what was impressive to me was that those were some acrobatic catches he made.

The first was way too high yet he caught it above his head, and the second one in the end zone was a jump ball, underthrown, and Sims had to use his size to corral it. So two really good, aggressive catches in one showing. Considering the short receivers we've had all along, and the fact he could save those ducks Tebow tosses, imagine how he'd do with Brady's pinpoint accuracy.

I hope he makes it to the practice squad. Kid looks pretty quick, nice routes and body control... and hands!

tumblr_msbwp1POhw1qh3pr2o3_400.gif

I don't think he'd clear waivers. His play was showcased really nicely last night.

I don't think he'd clear waivers. His play was showcased really nicely last night.

Another team would have to cut a guy who made their team to sign this guy, cut by the Patriots after being an UDFA, and not making a team with 3 rookie WRs and Julian Edelman. That doesn't happen over 1 play. He caught 1 pass all preseason before last nights foray against future janitors.

If you were to tell someone watching last night's game to look at #s 84 & 17 without
seeing their names, then have them guess which of the two was the 2nd-round draft pick,
I wonder how many would have answered #84?

I'd say the guy playing with and against the scrubs was the UDFA

I'd say the guy playing with and against the scrubs was the UDFA

I'd say the one playing like a scrub was the scrub.

That's a little harsh on Dobson but Sims is the better WR right now in my most humble of opinions.

Another team would have to cut a guy who made their team to sign this guy, cut by the Patriots after being an UDFA, and not making a team with 3 rookie WRs and Julian Edelman. That doesn't happen over 1 play. He caught 1 pass all preseason before last nights foray against future janitors.

I like Simms too, but this is something people keep forgetting. To sign someone off the PS, you need to cut one of your 53 man players!

That said, I think it's worth exploring every opportunity to prevent him from getting to the PS... One option - I think it's likely we're looking to sign a vet post-game 1.

This player will either be a DT or CB/S, likely Wilson or Fells. In that case, we're going to empty a spot on our 53 anyway - might as well use it to briefly keep Simms and IR him.

I like Simms too, but this is something people keep forgetting. To sign someone off the PS, you need to cut one of your 53 man players!

That said, I think it's worth exploring every opportunity to prevent him from getting to the PS... One option - I think it's likely we're looking to sign a vet post-game 1.

This player will either be a DT or CB/S, likely Wilson or Fells. In that case, we're going to empty a spot on our 53 anyway - might as well use it to briefly keep Simms and IR him.

Contrary to the popular myth, you can't keep a player that way UNLESS he really wants to stay.

More importantly, redshirting rookie WRs has paid off so well in the past for New England. . . . :bricks:

Are we speaking of the old "foxborough flu" here? Did Sims actually have the slightest sign of injury on any level?

Are we speaking of the old "foxborough flu" here? Did Sims actually have the slightest sign of injury on any level?

If he did, keep him injured judging by those 2 TDs. A kick in the nadgers before every game should keep him performing to the right level.

What's the cut off point for keeping a player based on his draft position if/when someone from a much lower position has shown more ?

Contrary to the popular myth, you can't keep a player that way UNLESS he really wants to stay.

More importantly, redshirting rookie WRs has paid off so well in the past for New England. . . . :bricks:

True - which is why I guess we have to trust Bill knows what he's doing. If he thinks the interest isn't there at the moment this is a good way to stash him. We have to hope though that Simms prefers our IR to the Jets, Ravens, or Chargers 53.

I'd say the one playing like a scrub was the scrub.

That's a little harsh on Dobson but Sims is the better WR right now in my most humble of opinions.

Based on what one play when a db fell down?

Sims has looked the part when he's in there. Dobson doesn't. I hope Sims makes it to the PS because there will be attrition. It seems like Edelman and Thompkins get smashed when they make a catch. As much as I like Amendola his durability will remain a concern until he finishes a year.

Seems like the non guaranteed contract thing is always made into a much bigger deal than it is. Rarely end up having a player get cut before week 1 and brought back shortly after.

What WR in there right mind won't want to be a part of the BB/TB SB machine given the chance, even an outside one?

Ya can't buy bragging rights for any amount of money...which may be part of the reason Tim's pay is not an issue imo. It's not like Tim would need a job if he gets cut.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back